subaru solterra

shaktimaan

this and Toyota bz4x are the worst ev ever but Solterra lease is on fire sale right now with $240/m and 0 down

if someone wants a cheap ev or a second car to go around the city, this might work 

I am leasing your most hated EV - Subaru Solterra/Toyota BZ4X (Honest Reivew)

Hello! I have been driving the Subaru Solterra for about 4 months now. I am not really overly knowledgeable about EV's, or automotives as a whole, or really anything. So please take all of this with a grain of salt.

I am leasing the touring model and this is my first EV. I see a lot of pushback regarding the Subaru Solterra. Some of this criticism is valid, but my experience has been (mostly) positive and I wanted to share how I feel about using one of the most hated vehicles on this subreddit.

Why I Choose The Subaru Solterra

I was in the market for a new car and honestly was looking at the wilderness Crosstrek to replace my Crosstrek. I am a skier, mountain biker and often drive up a pretty long and muddy dirt road in Vermont and needed a car that could continue to get me home in all of our seasons. The biggest piece of the puzzle for us was that we have a second car for long trips and wanted to replace one of our cars since our driving has become way less since 2020.

There are minimal EV options that can safely do this right now. I ended test driving the Solterra and really enjoyed the feel of the car it's much more fun to drive than my Crosstrek (most cars are) and the price at the time was heavily discounted since our dealer had 7 on the lot.

I truthfully did not know much about charging speeds, or really anything relating to EVs, besides that I like the car a lot and thought it was a good price. I ended up test driving the RAV4, Outback, Crosstrack models as well and chose the Solterra.

The main reason though was it fit my budget with incentives. The federal tax credit + state + my electric company paying a check +a free level 2 charger + Subaru sent a $400 credit to EVGO charging and 10 free rental days Subaru really added up. This allowed us to upgrade our electricity service to our 100 year old home and save about $10k off of the discounted lease price.

Key reasons I choose the Solterra (summarized):

• I liked it

• It can get up my road when its muddy/snowy as well as my Crosstrek

• I think the design is (mostly) cool

• I can continue to get service at my Subaru dealer

• It is more fun to drive than my old Crosstrek

• We have a second ICE vehicle that we use on longer trips

Things I like

This stuff is all subjective but here's a list of things I really enjoy on the Solterra. I think it handles really well compared to my Crosstrek. I especially love the one pedal driving with the regen mode on. Its just fun to zip around corners and brake with just the gas pedal. The cars lights are way brighter and have a better range than my old Crosstrek, which is extremely useful for night driving. The adaptive cruise control is wonderful compared to my old Crosstrek. It drive essentially on its own and has no problem navigating Vermont roads while staying within the lines with minimal input. This is a huge difference from my old Crosstrek that had lane assist that I am convinced is programed to actively try to pull you off the road.

The seats are genuinely amazing and I love having air cool my sweaty butt in the summer after a bike ride. The seats also clean really easily with a wet cloth and I like them way more than traditional leather. The little HUD is really nice and minimal on it, tells me my range and the general car things. I really love the infotainment screen and works well with wired/wireless Android Auto.

The legroom on the passenger side front has been described as "a lot" and "wonderful" from other passengers so I think not having a traditional glove compartment is nice.

Subaru's xMode has been great as usual and is similar to other Subaru AWD in driving feel. It tends to spin first then lock down on really complicated/muddy or snowy climbs but honestly I am using it to just mostly get to my home.

The speakers are great for a car. Cool!

I pay a lot less to drive than I did before.

Things I am indifferent about

This car has a lot of big cupholders. I guess if I ever need to have 8 bottes of water in my car at once that will be fun?

The storage system is kind of odd but manageable. There is an open pocket below the giant Qi Wireless Charger I like to throw everything in but I do wish there was more hidden storage.

The companion Subaru app works well for me and I use it as a digital key but I am convinced carmakers just hire 5 interns to design and QA these apps. However it's annoying to log into, somewhat slow and just kind of fine? This app is one of the apps of all time.

My daily useful range is 200 miles. It's fine. I am on a lease I am not going to be driving this car on a 1000 mile trip but could be a huge drawback.

Things I just do not like

The stupid glossy center console is the #1 thing I have come to hate. It isn't the actual black plastic that will scratch and get destroyed but the GIANT wireless charger that is essentially useless. It takes up so much space and when you have your phone connected to wireless Android Auto does not charge your phone fast enough so you lose battery while holding it in the little taco pouch door of hell. To make things worse there is a USB A charger in the little phone hidey hole that you can only charge with the door open but your phone can't fit in the cubby while plugged in. It does fit a 10 piece McNugget box PERFECTLY so do with that information as you will

I also hate that the rear window doesn't have a dedicated windshield wiper. That's going to suck in a snowstorm or right now when trees are ejecting their leaves and dirt all over the back and I can't clean it.

I don't like that once you turn on the cruise control it always shows the last cruise set number and there is no way to turn it off until you shut off the car (or I am dumb and someone help me). Also there is an annoying READY green light that is always on which I get it, the car knows who it is and it's ready to be a car but I don't need that type of validation from it.

I also have come to hate the "activity mount". The car is only rated to carry 100lbs and the OEM mount is loose and just does not instill confidence when carrying just two bikes. While there isn't really anything wrong with it I hate that I feel like my bikes could fall off because of just limited hitch options.

Along the same route accessories like the back of seat covers to keep dirt off the seats or protection for your doors from your dogs or even a good assortment of winter tires are just hard to come by. I am convinced 12 people own this car and that makes finding anything that fits the car by design somewhat challenging.

There's also some questionable button placement choices, like why on the steering wheel is the volume and forward/back buttons on opposite sides of the wheel. How am I going to drive dangerously with one hand and switch music now! Also for some reason they put the automatic high beam button next to the eject the trunk button just making me nervous that I will somehow open my trunk while driving.

I hope this is useful to someone somewhere. This is not a comprehensive list. I don't know how to spell and I don't know cars. Just general thoughts from a redditor. Thanks for taking time to read!

Edit: Thanks for all the replies! I shared the lease to help others understand what I am paying for the car. I do not want unsolicited financial advice from redditors. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, lollilolli2020 said:

asalu EV gurinchi discussion waste kada; 

Matter 2 lines lo cheppu

10 minutes ago, shaktimaan said:

this and Toyota bz4x are the worst ev ever but Solterra lease is on fire sale right now with $240/m and 0 down

if someone wants a cheap ev or a second car to go around the city, this might work 

Yeah it should work for basic needs local

long drive kastam ankunta

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, lollilolli2020 said:

asalu EV gurinchi discussion waste kada; 

I very well know this model is the worst with 160 real world range but for $250 it’s worth for some people 

1 minute ago, Gorantlamdhav said:

Matter 2 lines lo cheppu

shaktimaan uncle is car aficionado; ayanaki ICE sound car hood nunchi rakapotey car nadipinattu vundadu anduku anna.  

3 minutes ago, lollilolli2020 said:

shaktimaan uncle is car aficionado; ayanaki ICE sound car hood nunchi rakapotey car nadipinattu vundadu anduku anna.  

Engine baaga sound vostadi poga pollution 

1 minute ago, shaktimaan said:

I very well know this model is the worst with 160 real world range but for $250 it’s worth for some people 

Lease is like burning money; why not on something nicer annai; poyi poyi EV car paine money tagalettala ani EV haters asking. 

14 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

ioniq 6 kuda bagunnattu vunnayi lease prices. faster charging, more power and more range

they’re giving $7500 cash back to attract buyers as they’re not eligible for fed rebate 

6 minutes ago, lollilolli2020 said:

Lease is like burning money; why not on something nicer annai; poyi poyi EV car paine money tagalettala ani EV haters asking. 

It’s not for me but even if it’s a lease 250 ki aa size crossover ekkada ostadi