UP Hathras Stampede Live Updates: Death toll rises to 116; FIR to be filed against organisers of ‘satsang’, says police

pizzaaddict

At least 116 people were killed and several injured in a stampede during a religious congregation in Uttar Pradesh’s Hathras district today. The state government said the number of devotees attending the ‘satsang’ were more than that permitted by the administration. “The number of attendees exceeded the administration’s permitted limit at the venue, leading to a stampede during Bhole Baba’s satsang,”the government in a statement.

It was not immediately clear what triggered the panic following an event with a Hindu guru known locally as Bhole Baba. Local news reports cited authorities who said heat and suffocation in the tent could have been a factor.

Who is Bhole Baba?

Bhole Baba hails from Bahadur village in the Patiali tehsil of Etah district. He claims to be a former employee of the Intelligence Bureau (IB).

He allegedly left his government job 26 years ago to begin delivering religious sermons. Today, he has millions of followers across India, including in western Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Haryana, Rajasthan, and Delhi.

Notably, unlike many modern religious figures, Bhole Baba stays away from social media and does not have any official accounts on any platform. His followers claim that his influence is substantial at the grassroots level.

8 minutes ago, pizzaaddict said:

At least 116 people were killed and several injured in a stampede during a religious congregation in Uttar Pradesh’s Hathras district today. The state government said the number of devotees attending the ‘satsang’ were more than that permitted by the administration. “The number of attendees exceeded the administration’s permitted limit at the venue, leading to a stampede during Bhole Baba’s satsang,”the government in a statement.

It was not immediately clear what triggered the panic following an event with a Hindu guru known locally as Bhole Baba. Local news reports cited authorities who said heat and suffocation in the tent could have been a factor.

deeni meeda oka video padindhi db lo..but its not appearing now…tell me which media channel covered this i will go search it up…

1 minute ago, dasari4kntr said:

deeni meeda oka video padindhi db lo..but its not appearing now…tell me which media channel covered this i will go search it up…

• Thanks 1

The stampede occurred when a crowd of devotees started pushing towards the stage after the event to touch the preacher, who was coming down, said Yogi Adityanath, chief minister of Uttar Pradesh, India's most populous state.

29 minutes ago, dasari4kntr said:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1