India la property konevaallu - think twice/thrice - My sincere advice

neekunuvvetopu

India lo konadam aalochinchaandi bhayya.. I heard the following problems

1. Right now for NRI's TDS is 20.9 if more than 50Lakhs - little bit more for higher property values (This is nothing to do with the profit) - first pay TDS and take it back when you file is the concept

2. For suppose you sold the property and paid 20+ TDS - getting money back to US appear to be hassle where they are charging flat 20% TCS (different names - but, nokkudu okkate 😂) - I don't know if you can get this back.  If not, you have to depend on Halwa.

3. Dollar rate increase compared to INR - 2014 lo 63/64 unna rupee ippudu 83/84 undi.. ante, 20 rupee bokka - once you have higher numbers, then the diff may be huge.

4. Security for the property - if is next door to your parents, siblings, someone you know etc then good.  Otherwise, this can be a biggie as one of my friend said with Dharani portal - someone with bad intention clearly knows who is the owner, where do they live etc which can lead to occupying the property.  Once of my friend lost about 8 acres maamidi thota to annalu (Naxals) - not sure about the area etc.

for #1.. lot of people say, I am not GC or citizen in US - but, for Indian Government of their definition is - check this:

Income Tax Act's NRI Definition: An individual is an NRI if they've been in India for less than 182 days in the preceding financial year or if they've been in India for less than 60 days during the previous year and 365 days or less during the past four years.

and for #1 & #2 - both got increased in 2023 budget.  These use to be 1% for Indian citizens (it still is, I think) and 5% for NRI... ippudu 20+ annaaru - reppodduna 40 antaaaru, we can not peek anything 🤣.

Another thing is indexation - they removed indexation in 2024 budget for the properties bought after 2001 and everywhere lot of resistance came - then, they reinstated both 20% with indexation or 12.5% without indexation.  Atleast lot of people resisted - but, in NRI's case no one even know that it happened and even we know, we can't do much.  Mareee NRI ante, prathee okkallaku kaamadhenuvu ayipoyaaam (including Government).  And we don't have any control about how rules changes, how much more they tax etc.  Anyway those are my observations...

of course.. you may still buy where you know property value is higher and you are getting at 75/80% of the actual value which is highly unlikely as once the other guy knows you are NRI - you automatically attract additional 25%.  But, that may be possible.

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Arey kaka...enduku vayya niku fikar ? 

When there is an opportunity to make money, just make money....sampaisthe vachina dantla tax kattali ani edusukuntu vunte inkemi sampaistav ?

Why are you guys so worried about repatriation so much? 

one generation back when people landed here, one way ticket batch who never wanted to go back where as in present situation, many people are keeping the option open and maintaining good relations in India. In such situation, you need money to be spent in India as well...akada sampainche daniki akada karchu vuntayi...forget about repatriation

tqax katakunda money manage cheese margalu enno vunayi....mundu paisal sampinchukorri vayya, atarvata suddam tax etla bachainchalo..

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Android_Halwa said:

Arey kaka...enduku vayya niku fikar ? 

When there is an opportunity to make money, just make money....sampaisthe vachina dantla tax kattali ani edusukuntu vunte inkemi sampaistav ?

Why are you guys so worried about repatriation so much? 

one generation back when people landed here, one way ticket batch who never wanted to go back where as in present situation, many people are keeping the option open and maintaining good relations in India. In such situation, you need money to be spent in India as well...akada sampainche daniki akada karchu vuntayi...forget about repatriation

tqax katakunda money manage cheese margalu enno vunayi....mundu paisal sampinchukorri vayya, atarvata suddam tax etla bachainchalo..

Nobody is saying not to earn money vayya , it s about earning in dollars vs rupees. Let's say we invested 100k here in an index fund and bought a property in india for the same amount , oka 10 years tarvatha if the person needs the money or emaina avasaram vastey dollars are always better

49 minutes ago, neekunuvvetopu said:

1. Right now for NRI's TDS is 20.9 if more than 50Lakhs - little bit more for higher property values (This is nothing to do with the profit) - first pay TDS and take it back when you file is the concept

2. For suppose you sold the property and paid 20+ TDS - getting money back to US appear to be hassle where they are charging flat 20% TCS (different names - but, nokkudu okkate 😂) - I don't know if you can get this back.  If not, you have to depend on Halwa.

3. Dollar rate increase compared to INR - 2014 lo 63/64 unna rupee ippudu 83/84 undi.. ante, 20 rupee bokka - once you have higher numbers, then the diff may be huge.

4. Security for the property - if is next door to your parents, siblings, someone you know etc then good.  Otherwise, this can be a biggie as one of my friend said with Dharani portal - someone with bad intention clearly knows who is the owner, where do they live etc which can lead to occupying the property.  Once of my friend lost about 8 acres maamidi thota to annalu (Naxals) - not sure about the area etc.

for #1.. lot of people say, I am not GC or citizen in US - but, for Indian Government of their definition is - check this:

Income Tax Act's NRI Definition: An individual is an NRI if they've been in India for less than 182 days in the preceding financial year or if they've been in India for less than 60 days during the previous year and 365 days or less during the past four years.

and for #1 & #2 - both got increased in 2023 budget.  These use to be 1% for Indian citizens (it still is, I think) and 5% for NRI... ippudu 20+ annaaru - reppodduna 40 antaaaru, we can not peek anything 🤣.

Another thing is indexation - they removed indexation in 2024 budget for the properties bought after 2001 and everywhere lot of resistance came - then, they reinstated both 20% with indexation or 12.5% without indexation.  Atleast lot of people resisted - but, in NRI's case no one even know that it happened and even we know, we can't do much.  Mareee NRI ante, prathee okkallaku kaamadhenuvu ayipoyaaam (including Government).  And we don't have any control about how rules changes, how much more they tax etc.  Anyway those are my observations...

of course.. you may still buy where you know property value is higher and you are getting at 75/80% of the actual value which is highly unlikely as once the other guy knows you are NRI - you automatically attract additional 25%.  But, that may be possible.

Hope that helps!

Ee disco chala sarlu ayindi, unless you settle in India akkada investment waste 

• Upvote 1

If you want to go back to India  - Buying properties makes sense there.

If you want to stay in US but make investments - India is not profitable anymore. Moreover, tax and property safeguarding hassles. Better invest in index funds or real estate here.

For past investments, you have no choice. Sell them, file taxes, follow the repatriation process and get it back. Or let them grow. 

23 minutes ago, Konebhar6 said:

If you want to go back to India  - Buying properties makes sense there.

If you want to stay in US but make investments - India is not profitable anymore. Moreover, tax and property safeguarding hassles. Better invest in index funds or real estate here.

For past investments, you have no choice. Sell them, file taxes, follow the repatriation process and get it back. Or let them grow. 

Suggest some passive real estate investments in US

2 hours ago, neekunuvvetopu said:

Hope that helps!

Aha

mem konakapothe nu manchiga Amaravathi lands vesedham anukunnava

already suit cases pattukoni ready ga unnam

deal set avagane acres ki acres lechipothay

5GPFty.gif

What if you buy property in mom/dad's name ? how much tax difference will it make , when sold and money is gifted for grand children's education / college expenses ?

Hope that helps!

2014 lo hyd lo invest chesina friends ultra rich ayaru

1) In 2014  Brought properties worth 5 cr

1 cr vi 5 flats by paying down payment of 1 cr (20 lakhs each)  ante 10000000/63 = $158k

2) In 2024, they are worth 12 cr

interest paid in 10 yrs around 3.5 cr, rent is 3 cr

3) profit is 6.5 cr

65000000/83 = $783k

if you take 20% tax, profit is $650k

Hope that helps!

anna are you charted accountant in India