Andhra shocker: Patient bangs woman doctor's head against bed at Tirupati hospital

andhra_jp

Andhra shocker: Patient bangs woman doctor's head against bed at Tirupati hospital

The CCTV footage showed the attacker grabbing the doctor by her hair and banging her head on the steel frame of a bed at Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences.

The incident, which took place at Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS), was caught on camera and went viral.

In a letter to SVIMS director cum vice-chancellor Dr RV Kumar, the intern said she was on duty in the Emergency Medicine Department on Saturday. "... I was unexpectedly attacked by a patient, Bangaru Raju, who approached me from behind, pulled my hair and began forcibly banging my head against the steel rod of a cot," she wrote, adding that no security personnel were present at the site to help her. Her letter was quoted by NDTV.

According to the report, she said the incident raises serious concerns about safety at the workplace. "If the patient had been armed with a sharp weapon, the situation could have escalated with severe consequences," the doctor wrote.

The junior doctor also pointed out that no security personnel were present at the site at the time of the incident. Following the incident, doctors of the hospital staged a protest and demanded safety at the workplace.