corsaer

48 minutes ago, corsaer said:

Hi friends,
I would appreciate your perspectives, advice and/or criticism on a certain issue I've been having for a while. I'm looking for thoughts from fellow Telugus who might relate to what I'm going through..

For context, I moved to Canada in 2021 fresh off covid. Right now there's a massive wave of hate against brown immigrants in Canada. Every time I open any form of news/social media it feels like there's so much hatred and targeted propaganda against Indians. Over the past year I've noticed personally that I've been hit far more frequently with casual racism from strangers and even acquaintances/coworkers which wasn't the case before. People are fed up and can't be bothered even to act nice in public anymore. Even if I brush it off dealing with this every day added up and demoralized me. 

I understand that Canada's financial situation is down in the dumps right now and rising COL is pushing Canadians to the edge. It's natural that people look for things to blame and minorities are nice low-hanging fruits to pick when people aren't educated enough to ask the right questions. But I feel like desis put such a huge target on their backs with their actions and being vehemently against integration. I moved to Brampton, ON (which is over 60% Punjabi) and I see the social contract broken every single day, recent immigrants really make it seem like a 3rd world country (antisocial behaviour, slumlords, remember the recent food bank scandal). I don't want to go into too much detail about this but it is what it is and it's veeeery obvious. There's just as many immigrants from China, Philippines and African countries but they're rarely if ever blamed because they keep a low profile- it's just the bad apples among Indians that are loud and dumb enough to make it seem like they're Canada's biggest problem (they're really not).

Coming to the point, I had so much love for this country and made every effort to integrate and give back. I've been lucky enough to meet wonderful people who have been very generous and welcoming to share their culture and give me unforgettable experiences and memories. But this is taking up so much of my mental bandwidth that I just want to gtfo this country despite all the good that happened to me. I talked about this with my friends and I got told that this wasn't a productive way to think about things and that's absolutely true. But I can't help it. I just have this feeling that I gave away incredible amounts of time, money and hard work only to feel unwelcome, lowered my standard of living, and I realized I am also looking for someone to blame. I wouldn't give racism a 2nd thought normally but looking at the actions of fellow desis I'm just appalled and I just can't justify anything. Madyalo comedian ni esesinattu I got profiled a couple times today itself for absolutely no reason.

I'm sick and tired of feeling this way guys.. I just want to do my best and succeed especially now that times are very tough. I am going to completely erase social media and avoid any "comments sections" it's just not worth it. I am early 20s so Seasoned NRIs meeku emanna e topic meeda advice unte please share and thank you so much. I'm looking for good advice that I can use to shape the way I think about things as an immigrant as I don't have any family here to talk about this stuff. This is honestly embarrassing to talk about. Thanks for taking the time to read.

goda daati USA ki povachu..

OR

saptha samudraalu daati India ki povachu

OR

anni moosukuni migatha valla desi galla laaga akkade edavachu.

• Sad 1

• corsaer changed the title to .