HC strikes down Balineni plea against EVMs

Anta Assamey

The Andhra Pradesh high court struck down the petition filed by former YSR Congress party minister and present Jana Sena Party leader Balineni Srinivasa Reddy asking a direction to the Election Commission of India not to conduct mock polling to test the efficacy of the Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs).

The high court bench headed by Justice Nimmagadda Venkateswarlu, which reserved its judgement after hearing the arguments on August 22, delivered the same on Monday, dismissing Balineni’s petition.

The former minister asked the high court to refrain the Election Commission of India from going ahead with its standard operating procedure (SOP) issued on July 16 to conduct mock polling in place of verification of EVMs and VVPATs against the Supreme Court orders.

Balineni had earlier sought random verification of EVMs and VVPATs following his defeat in the recent elections. When the election authorities conducted mock polling rather than verification, he approached the court.

ECI counsel Avinash Desai informed the court that the Supreme Court did not order for counting of VVPATs and the verdict is applicable to burn memory only.

He said after elections, the EVMs and VVPATs would be sealed and there is no possibility of counting them again without the court orders. 

He further said there is no relation between VVPAT slips and burn memory and VVPATs have only flash memory. Balineni’s counsel Subramanya Sriram said the Supreme Court’s verdict clearly mentioned about verification of EVMs and VVPATs for transparency in the conduct of polls.

However, it is unlikely that Balineni would challenge the high court order in the Supreme Court or the ECI now, because he has defected from the YSRCP to the Jana Sena Party.

He had earlier claimed that he was fighting the lone battle against the EVMs, but there was no support from the YSRCP.

56 minutes ago, Anta Assamey said:

The Andhra Pradesh high court struck down the petition filed by former YSR Congress party minister and present Jana Sena Party leader Balineni Srinivasa Reddy asking a direction to the Election Commission of India not to conduct mock polling to test the efficacy of the Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs).

The high court bench headed by Justice Nimmagadda Venkateswarlu, which reserved its judgement after hearing the arguments on August 22, delivered the same on Monday, dismissing Balineni’s petition.

The former minister asked the high court to refrain the Election Commission of India from going ahead with its standard operating procedure (SOP) issued on July 16 to conduct mock polling in place of verification of EVMs and VVPATs against the Supreme Court orders.

Balineni had earlier sought random verification of EVMs and VVPATs following his defeat in the recent elections. When the election authorities conducted mock polling rather than verification, he approached the court.

ECI counsel Avinash Desai informed the court that the Supreme Court did not order for counting of VVPATs and the verdict is applicable to burn memory only.

He said after elections, the EVMs and VVPATs would be sealed and there is no possibility of counting them again without the court orders. 

He further said there is no relation between VVPAT slips and burn memory and VVPATs have only flash memory. Balineni’s counsel Subramanya Sriram said the Supreme Court’s verdict clearly mentioned about verification of EVMs and VVPATs for transparency in the conduct of polls.

However, it is unlikely that Balineni would challenge the high court order in the Supreme Court or the ECI now, because he has defected from the YSRCP to the Jana Sena Party.

He had earlier claimed that he was fighting the lone battle against the EVMs, but there was no support from the YSRCP.

This is the problem. Mock polling doesn't reveal how source program works. VVPAT verification will establish the material evidence, of any discrepancy.

What's the problem in verifying the VVPATs when Candidate agrees to bear the expenditure for the resources involved? This legal positions  of Supreme Court and High courts is without any rationale.  

@Teluguredu @Android_Halwa @Sizzler @psyc0pk @psycontr This is what I have been saying all along. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, CanadianMalodu said:

This is the problem. Mocking polling doesn't reveal how source program works. VVPAT verification will establish the material evidence. 

What's the problem in verifying the VVPATs when Candidate agrees to bear the expenditure for the resources involved? This legal positions  of Supreme Court and High courts is without any rationale.  

@Teluguredu @Android_Halwa @Sizzler @psyc0pk @psycontr This is what I have been saying all along. 

Not sure what their concern is to allow the VVPAT verification against the number of votes polled in the EVM.

20 minutes ago, CanadianMalodu said:

This is the problem. Mocking polling doesn't reveal how source program works. VVPAT verification will establish the material evidence. 

2 minutes ago, Sizzler said:

Not sure what their concern is to allow the VVPAT verification against the number of votes polled in the EVM.

Lol raa, slaves,  mee edupulu inka thaggale gaa.

Supreme court did suggest a good way to cross check the votes polled but at the same time, if it had ordered EC to frame SOP, it would have been better. 

As always, another loop hole in the law and the judgement stands ineffective.

Managed effectively by the highest authority for their advantage.

Personally I feel nothing wrong with EVM’s but the way the votes counted may have been influenced. An attempt to trick the counting of votes is quite possible at booth level, quite easy to manage. 

Congress in Haryana have filed for VVPAT checks. Lets see what happens.

9 minutes ago, Crocodile_Tears said:

Lol raa, slaves,  mee edupulu inka thaggale gaa.

Ivi burra ki pani cheppe vishayalu kani nuvu velli bezjawada lo punkulu thinu, "Gatti Chutney" adugu,marchipomaku.

1 minute ago, CanadianMalodu said:

Ivi burra ki pani cheppe vishayalu kani nuvu velli bezjawada lo punkulu thinu, "Gatti Chutney" adugu,marchipomaku.

Lol bejawada, neenu inthavaraku AP lo temples ki thappa inkeppudu pole

2 minutes ago, CanadianMalodu said:

Mari burra lo baised slave tho vunna nuvvu enduku ikkada let’s goo

34 minutes ago, Android_Halwa said:

Personally I feel nothing wrong with EVM’s but the way the votes counted may have been influenced. An attempt to trick the counting of votes is quite possible at booth level, quite easy to manage. 

Congress in Haryana have filed for VVPAT checks. Lets see what happens.

The problem with EVM is the source code and the oversight associated with it. 

1. How are you sure about the source code. Can you not program in such a way that first 2000 votes will be polled to whichever contested they are polled for and then the next 10000 votes be polled to option B or whatever.

2. Time stamps. Does each vote have a time stamp in the machine? If there are no time stamps, the integrity of data is not acceptable. How do you they can't be swapped at will? Which I think has happened during last AP election.

3. Access: following on 2, Is the mother board architecture public? Do we have a list of qualified vendors who manufactured them? Do we audit on them with oversight? If EVM can be accessed remotely, then it must have some receiver integrated into the mother board

This is how CIA used Dominion and Smartmatic at least in the last elections, presumably in the previous elections across CANADA (primaries in Liberal party, that's how Justin Trudeau got in the first place), Venezuela, Philippines. The vote swapping started if I recall correctly happened around 0230 on the day of counting. 

This is also how Putin holds iron grip on Russia. I wouldn't be surprised if Modi took the same path. As much as I don't have problem with Modi holding onto power, I feel this is skewing public opinion by and large and removes the very little leverage that public had in decision making. 

2 minutes ago, CanadianMalodu said:

The problem with EVM is the source code and the oversight associated with it. 

1. How are you sure about the source code. Can you not program in such a way that first 2000 votes will be polled to whichever contested they are polled for and then the next 10000 votes be polled to option B or whatever.

2. Time stamps. Does each vote have a time stamp in the machine? If there are no time stamps, the integrity of data is not acceptable. How do you they can't be swapped at will? Which I think has happened during last AP election.

3. Access: following on 2, Is the mother board architecture public? Do we have a list of qualified vendors who manufactured them? Do we have audit on them with oversight? If EVM can be accessed remotely, then it must have some receiver integrated into the mother board

This is how CIA used Dominion and Smartmatic at least in the last elections, presumably in the previous elections across CANADA (primaries in Liberal party, that's how Justin Trudeau got in the first place), Venezuela, Philippines. The vote swapping started if I recall correctly happened around 0230 on the day of counting. 

This is also how Putin holds iron grip on Russia. I wouldn't be surprised if Modi took the same path. As much as I don't have problem with Modi holding onto power, I feel this is skewing public opinion by and large and removes the very little leverage of public had in decision making. 

So all these are happened for 2019 elections as well by insider covert yeddi mundas? Justasking

23 minutes ago, Crocodile_Tears said:

Lol bejawada, neenu inthavaraku AP lo temples ki thappa inkeppudu pole

Enti Andhra lo undakundane, Andhra politics gurinchi matladaniki lagethukuni vasthunnava? 😂

Vellu eesari, Bezwada lo pungulu bauntayi. Pidatha kindha pappu kooda bavuntadhi. Pappu undhi kadha peru lo ani MAALOKAM anukunevu. Kadhu, nijangane bavuntadhi. Palov kooda bavuntadhi, 

3 minutes ago, Crocodile_Tears said:

So all these are happened for 2019 elections as well by insider covert yeddi mundas? Justasking

Cheppa kadha, ivvi burra vade vishayalu. Pungulu, chutney vishayalu cheppu matladukundham