I-94 Expired And Driver’S License Renewal

Chitralekha

Those non-immigrants applying for Visa Extension would have to wait until the visa is approved and until the candidate receive the I-797 document in order to extend or renew an expired driver’s licensein case if your I-94 already expired.

Here is a case study of a person who could get drivers license renewed, with an expired I-94 and pending H-1B Visa Extension/Renewal.

dps_drivers_license_renewal.jpg

Drivers License With Expired I-94 – Case Study

Many individuals face a terrible issue, not able to drive because of expired driver’s license and expired I-94. I had the same issue and I could get my drivers license renewed even though my I-94 expired and my visa extension was under process. I live in Texas and my company applied for my visa extension in September 2013. My I-94 expired on December 14th 2013, which is also when my license expired.

As soon as my license expired, I went to the DPS office carrying all the documentation I have, along with the I129 Receipt notice (I-797C) provided to me by my employer. I explained my situation at the counter, and the lady there took copies of the needed documentation and she mentioned that a second verification of my immigration status is in process under SAVE Program. (Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE).

I was asked to wait until I receive a letter by mail from the Texas DPS (Department of Public Safety) and come back with the letter to get the drivers license.

What is SAVE?

The Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) Program is a service that helps federal, state and local benefit-issuing agencies, institutions, and licensing agencies determine the immigration status of benefit applicants so only those entitled to benefits receive them.

Letter From DPS

I received a letter from Texas Department of Public Safety and this is what I received by mail:

I94Expired_DL.png

I received the letter from the DPS on the 20th of December and I immediately went to the DPS Office and got my license renewed. The license was renewed for the next 8 months.