Public shaming is probably a good thing.

lazybugger

This is something I notice when I visit India. People are absolutely free to spout whatever they wish to, without consequences.

Most Indians (upper caste ofcourse, because I talk to them most), are perfectly friendly, kind, sensible. I even admire many of them who braved their personal hurdles to become successful.

But god, every now and then there's some issue that transforms these friendly creatures into irrational, hate filled monsters. Sometimes even warmongers (when the discussion is about Pakistan).

When the issue of 'reservation' comes around, I often find myself in the company of delusional uppercaste people who are so determined to deny benefits to a few people they don't even know. No amount of friendly nudges to look at data, moral and economic arguments for continuance of this 'reservation' can calm them down.

I think the lack of concept of 'Shame' as public force for good is what is missing. People should be shamed if they talk trash about others who are more disadvantaged than they are.

This is similarly true when the subject veers into 'muslim' territory. But the reactions to this topic are not as radical as to 'reservations'.

Anyway, I think India is a gone case. But I feel slightly sad about it. A country with so much potential going down the drain, because its elite seem to find new ways every time to corner all benefits to themselves.

In this respect, India is probably similar to the US. Both are fcuked.

• Upvote 1

I often sat at amazement when I heard words out of my relatives, some of who are accomplished doctors, high flying contractors. Words that belittled dalits, sometimes muslims, even Tamils.

I quietly had to apologise to my late father for being too hard on him, by cutting off all ties with him, until his death, because I realised he was saying the same kind of things his siblings were.

It definitely made me be extra nice to my mother, who is still alive, and is quite naive about all these things.

33 minutes ago, lazybugger said:

This is something I notice when I visit India. People are absolutely free to spout whatever they wish to, without consequences.

Most Indians (upper caste ofcourse, because I talk to them most), are perfectly friendly, kind, sensible. I even admire many of them who braved their personal hurdles to become successful.

But god, every now and then there's some issue that transforms these friendly creatures into irrational, hate filled monsters. Sometimes even warmongers (when the discussion is about Pakistan).

When the issue of 'reservation' comes around, I often find myself in the company of delusional uppercaste people who are so determined to deny benefits to a few people they don't even know. No amount of friendly nudges to look at data, moral and economic arguments for continuance of this 'reservation' can calm them down.

I think the lack of concept of 'Shame' as public force for good is what is missing. People should be shamed if they talk trash about others who are more disadvantaged than they are.

This is similarly true when the subject veers into 'muslim' territory. But the reactions to this topic are not as radical as to 'reservations'.

Anyway, I think India is a gone case. But I feel slightly sad about it. A country with so much potential going down the drain, because its elite seem to find new ways every time to corner all benefits to themselves.

In this respect, India is probably similar to the US. Both are fcuked.

22 minutes ago, lazybugger said:

I often sat at amazement when I heard words out of my relatives, some of who are accomplished doctors, high flying contractors. Words that belittled dalits, sometimes muslims, even Tamils.

I quietly had to apologise to my late father for being too hard on him, by cutting off all ties with him, until his death, because I realised he was saying the same kind of things his siblings were.

It definitely made me be extra nice to my mother, who is still alive, and is quite naive about all these things.

nee personal diary lo 2 pages chadivinattu anipinchindhi 

• 4 years later...
5 minutes ago, narsy said:

don't even bother. that's from 4yrs ago. Its probably some crap I would cringe upon now.

Arey nuv Hallelujah gorre bidda vi kadha, Maa hindu SC sodarla reservation vadukuntunav illegal ga, lamdike