I Am A Patriot, Feel Sad That I Have To Prove It Repeatedly: SRK

timmy

I Am A Patriot, Feel Sad That I Have To Prove It Repeatedly: SRK

Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan has said that he feels "very sad" and even feels like crying, when he is made to prove his patriotism, asserting there is no patriot "greater" than him.

The 50-year-old actor was at the centre of a controversy last year for his comments on patriotism, in the wake of a raging debate on perceived intolerance. He had faced a backlash on social media.

"Sometimes I feel very sad, I even feel like crying, that I should be made to say that I belong to this country, I am a patriot. I am a patriot, rather we all are. We do not have to compete with others to say we are patriots," he told India TV journalist Rajat Sharma on his show 'Aap Ki Adalat'.

"I get very sad when I am supposed to explain each and every time how good a patriot I am," he added.

The star said his message to the youth would be to be tolerant and work towards taking this nation forward as small, petty matters should not harm the nation's interest.

"We should just move forward with positivity as we live in the greatest country in the world. We are one of the safest and most beautiful nations of the world. We should not tie up ourselves in petty obscurantist issues," Shah Rukh said.

"Whether my film 'Fan' is a hit or not, I want to say for the last time, I will not repeat it again that there is no patriot greater than me," Mr Khan said.

Asked by the host whether there was a perception that he had friends in the Congress party, who wanted to "fix" Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Shah Rukh said, "How dare I fix anyone? You have known me long. I am apolitical."

Shah Rukh also clarified the comments he had made with regard to the debate over 'perceived intolerance', saying that his remarks were taken out of context.

"I had only advised the young people to not be intolerant in matters related to religion, caste, colour, creed and region. My father was one of the youngest freedom fighters. How can I think that this country has not been fair to any of us? A man like me who has got everything from this country, I will be the last one to complain.

"My family itself is mini-India. My wife is Hindu, I am Muslim by birth, and my three children follow three religions so how can I think of my country like this?," he said.

"Our country, our motherland, Bharat Mata, we all love it. I am the most proud Indian in the world because nobody has got more from this country than me... I hope I can work for the greatness of my nation and so does my family," Shah Rukh said.

The actor, whose double role in "Fan" has come in for praise, claimed he leaves it to the producer to decide the amount for his film roles.

"I never take money for acting in films. I only charge fees for endorsements, for events and live shows. I tell producers to pay me whatever they wish, if the films do well at the box office. I don't take acting in films as business."

Reminded by the host that Shah Rukh had claimed 22 years ago that he would be a better actor than Amitabh Bachchan, the actor said: "That was my overconfidence as a young man. 22 years later, I have now realised that I had no idea what makes a great actor. My arrogance was sheer childishness. Even now at the age of 50, I sometimes appear to be childish," he said.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/i-am-a-patriot-feel-sad-that-i-have-to-prove-it-repeatedly-srk-1396394?pfrom=home-lateststories