Consulting (not contracting) vs Industry FT

Batman_fan

Consulting (not contracting) vs Industry FT?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please vote. I am sick of this contracting so started looking seriously for FT but wanted to decide which one to choose. Let's say both do EB2 in 1 yr. 

Just to clarify consulting is working FT for a firm such as Big 4, Accenture, Genpact, CGI, CSC or any specialized tech consulting firms  so on in US (exclude desi service firms). Industry FT is working FT for any client in US

My views -

Consulting - Better salary, Growth, Profit sharing, learn better but too much pressure to deliver, and too much travel sometimes.

Industry FT -No travel, no pressure, stocks if high-tech firms, but less growth, less salary, lay off worry, and less learning.

1 minute ago, loveindia said:

ok got your idea of consulting and that way of doing it is at higher level technologies not at JAVA or other... what's your technology like man?

EPM & BI. 

I believe FT should be your choice. layoff worry should be only for teams that don't do sheet man... y you think less learning, not true because FT gives you more flexibility if you plan well... growth also depends on you again, we all think because I joined late in the team, there are a couple of in front of me and I will get promotion after they gey... not at all true, depends totally on your communication + skills + worthyness.

If you have kids, FT is the way to go. Life is not all about money and building a career.

If you want to make an extra buck, flexible with travel, consulting is can be preferred. But FT doesn't lag it by much.

Consulting - Better salary (May be), Growth (not guaranteed), Profit sharing (seriously?), learn better but too much pressure to deliver (this is not exclusive to consulting), and too much travel sometimes (so true).

Industry FT -No travel (probable), no pressure (myth), stocks if high-tech firms (very rare), but less growth (not always), less salary (will be competitive), lay off worry (why isn't this a factor in consulting? What if the consulting firm doesn't have a lot of business), and less learning (if you are self driven and open to learning, you can learn everywhere).

1 minute ago, thokkalodi said:

If you have kids, FT is the way to go. Life is not all about money and building a career.

If you want to make an extra buck, flexible with travel, consulting is can be preferred. But FT doesn't lag it by much.

Consulting - Better salary (May be), Growth (not guaranteed), Profit sharing (seriously?), learn better but too much pressure to deliver (you are running all directions), and too much travel sometimes (so true).

Industry FT -No travel (probable), no pressure (myth), stocks if high-tech firms (very rare), but less growth (not always), less salary (will be competitive), lay off worry (why isn't this a factor in consulting? What if the consulting firm doesn't have a lot of business), and less learning (if you are self driven and open to learning, you can learn everywhere).

thokkalodi, memu adey cheppam man....

I believe FT should be your choice. layoff worry should be only for teams that don't do sheet man... y you think less learning, not true because FT gives you more flexibility if you plan well... growth also depends on you again, we all think because I joined late in the team, there are a couple of in front of me and I will get promotion after they gey... not at all true, depends totally on your communication + skills + worthyness.

Both are FT man....compare FT position with position in Big 4/ Accenture. let me give you idea. 1st position is just hypothetical but the numbers are close as my bro works there

Position 1 - Deloitte, 140K + 20% bonus. New project every year with new client. 

Postion 2 - Client, 110K +20% bonus. Same admin tasks for 3-4 years.

2 minutes ago, Batman_fan said:

Both are FT man....compare FT position with position in Big 4/ Accenture. let me give you idea. 1st position is just hypothetical but the numbers are close as my bro works there

Position 1 - Deloitte, 140K + 20% bonus. New project every year with new client. 

Postion 2 - Client, 110K +20% bonus. Same admin tasks for 3-4 years.

location? 20% bonus but how much guaranteed and target.? what is the avg bonus for last 5 years man?

31 minutes ago, thokkalodi said:

Consulting - Better salary (May be), Growth (not guaranteed), Profit sharing (seriously?), learn better but too much pressure to deliver (this is not exclusive to consulting), and too much travel sometimes (so true).

correct ga cheppav..100% true

sometimes FT lo consulting kante akkuva pay chestharu, good company and manchi technical job aithe

FT is no less than a pressure cooker...inka cheppalante consultant will work no more than 40, but FT will definitely work more than 40/week 

location? 20% bonus but how much guaranteed and target.? what is the avg bonus for last 5 years man?

Atlanta. not sure about bonus. My worry is what happens to us after 10 years working for a same client on same technology. In consulting once you have 3-4 years experience leading the people on multiple implementation, you automatically get that manager position easily in any client. 

Here is my personal opinion. I work FT in a management position for a company based out of NY. base is 140K. 20% bonus (this is not guaranteed  though. it could range from 0-200% every year) plus all the other fringe benefits. At this point, i would only consider switching to consulting if i get an offer from one of the Big 4 as 1) it would add a lot of value to your resume for future opportunities 2) if you capitalize on the big 4 job properly, you can go up the ladder fast.

Any other offers, i would think twice unless a there is a huge salary jump as 1) i do not want to restart my GC process all over again and 2) need to establish reputation all over gain and its not worth the risk for something that may or may not work

if you have a GC its a whole different ball game