Consulting (not contracting) vs Industry FT

Batman_fan

Consulting (not contracting) vs Industry FT?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, aviator said:

Here is my personal opinion. I work FT in a management position for a company based out of NY. base is 140K. 20% bonus (this is not guaranteed  though. it could range from 0-200% every year) plus all the other fringe benefits. At this point, i would only consider switching to consulting if i get an offer from one of the Big 4 as 1) it would add a lot of value to your resume for future opportunities 2) if you capitalize on the big 4 job properly, you can go up the ladder fast.

Any other offers, i would think twice unless a there is a huge salary jump as 1) i do not want to restart my GC process all over again and 2) need to establish reputation all over gain and its not worth the risk for something that may or may not work

if you have a GC its a whole different ball game

Which one would you take between client (some insurance, manufacturing, banking firm) and Big 4 if you want to have solid start to your IT career. Don't worry about GC

24 minutes ago, thokkalodi said:

If you have kids, FT is the way to go. Life is not all about money and building a career.

If you want to make an extra buck, flexible with travel, consulting is can be preferred. But FT doesn't lag it by much.

Consulting - Better salary (May be), Growth (not guaranteed), Profit sharing (seriously?), learn better but too much pressure to deliver (this is not exclusive to consulting), and too much travel sometimes (so true).

Industry FT -No travel (probable), no pressure (myth), stocks if high-tech firms (very rare), but less growth (not always), less salary (will be competitive), lay off worry (why isn't this a factor in consulting? What if the consulting firm doesn't have a lot of business), and less learning (if you are self driven and open to learning, you can learn everywhere).

What if your target is some C-level executive in the far future. Working for a client or Consulting is better?

1 minute ago, Batman_fan said:

What if your target is some C-level executive in the far future. Working for a client or Consulting is better?

Consulting is better if you ask me. you will get to learn more technologies and exposure to various domains. So when you are ready you will be in a better position to market yourself to client companies outside of big4 to get into C level positions. I know personally many people who have done this.

client to pani cheste, you will not have a lot of exposure and your options are only restricted to that client only. Applying outside for C level positions after working a long time with one client will have limited options.