Western Railways Cricketer Does A Yuvraj Singh! Smashes 6 Sixes In An Over

Kool_SRG

Sagar Mishra

For 23-year-old Sagar Mishra, Wednesday, November 30, 2016 was the day when his faith in cricket was restored. Batting for Western Railway in a local club game, Sagar did a Yuvraj Singh! That's hammering six sixes in an over. 

Son of a couple that runs a grocery store in Ulhasnagar, Sagar was at times pushed to the brink of quitting cricket. Yesterday he must have thanked his stars that he didn't. 

Sent in as a No.4 batsman for Western Railway on the second day of the Times Shield 'B' Division game against RCF, Sagar tore into offspinner Tushar Kumare, smashing him for six towering sixes in an over to create a tournament record.

The left-handed batsman made his First Class debut for Railways against Mumbai at the Wankhede last year. He blasted nine sixes off the final 11 balls that he faced. From 51 off 35 balls he blitzed his way to a 46-ball 91. 

Sagar Mishra

"I'm an allrounder. I bat at five and six, which means that I have to bat with the tail. I needed to develop my game accordingly, because the opponents tend to spread the field. I needed to learn how to clear the field. I was promoted to No.4, because their left-arm spinner was bowling well and I was sent to up the scoring rate. I just played normally, according to the situation. My only regret is that I couldn't complete my hundred," Sagar told TOI, moments after his stunning feat.

He had a problem finishing the job though. "After the fifth six, I suffered a severe cramp in my leg and had to lie down on the ground and drink some lemonade. Kumare bowled the final ball of that over on my legs, but I managed to smash him over deep mid-wicket for a six," he explained.

"It's a difficult shot to hit. He bowls good left-arm spin, and is a good fielder too. He's a good prospect for the Railways," complimented Western Railway coach Dinesh Lad.

For him to do what Yuvraj did is no mean feat. "The first was straight over the sight screen, the next over mid off the backfoot, then third was over long on, the fourth over deep mid-wicket, the fifth went down the ground and the last was a slog sweep over deep mid wicket. It's a dream come true. I remember watching Yuvraj Singh's six sixes in an over on TV nine years back. Never did I imagine that I'd do something similar," he said.

He now wants to get back in the Railways Ranji team. In his only game for the Railways senior team, Mishra had scored 46 and taken the crucial wickets of Suryakumar Yadav and Akhil Herwadkar. "I've done well for them in the U-23 tournament, picking up 23 wickets in seven matches last season, and 15 in four so far this time. Hopefully, I'll get an opportunity to play in the Ranji Trophy again," he said. 

Who knows, his explosive batting on Wednesday, might just win him an IPL contract.