• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbourne

• mastercheif

• tennisluvr

• siru

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, tennisluvr said:

Yeah it's a different concept man. We view time as linear, like a straight line or an arrow but not all civilizations and cultures view it the same way. For example, look up the concept of time as per Hopi culture, they have a non linear view of time. 

So what the movie emphasizes is two things:

1) Time isn't linear everywhere and not all civilizations view time in a linear fashion the way we do. So in certain advanced civilizations the concept of time in a sense of past, present and future might not exist. So they are able to view what we call past, present and future at the same time, it's a difficult concept for us earthlings to catch because we are not attuned to that thinking process. 

2) There's something called linguistic relativity and linguistic determinism. Linguistic determinism refers to the concept that the view or perception of our world is shaped on our language, and that language is the building block of an individual. This is often referenced by the fact that babies start babbling words as soon as they can and try to connect to their mom and dad by calling them out. However, there's some controversy behind this because some early childhood psychologists opine that babies are also able to communicate without language by being able to point at things and so the ability to connect to the world and form a picture of reality supercedes linguistic constructs. This is also called as Sapir Wharf hypothesis. 

Linguistic relativity however states that while language forms and moulds the perception of reality of an individual, it's not absolute. This is more relevant and less controversial. 

In the movie, Amy Adams is able to interpret the language of the aliens and the fact that what they express is expressed is done in a whole circle instead of individual letters and words as we do. This understanding gave her a way of looking at the future and the past both, and she was able to stop the earthlings from attacking the space ships. The weapon they referred to in the movie was nothing but giving us an understanding of their language and a way for us to learn the above. The fact that she names her daughter "Hannah" which is a palindrome(spelled the same either ways) means that her understanding of time is circular and not linear anymore. 

It's a brilliant movie, a very complex plot but great acting by Amy Adams and great execution. Hats off to Hollywood for being able to show aliens for once as sensible and sensitive creatures with a higher understanding of time and matter, and not just as some brainless creatures ought to attack us. A very different treatment of the extra terrestrial concept, probably the best movie of the year. 

All the above is my understanding of what the movie meant and a research of the concepts behind the theme of the movie. 

Bhaiyya intha complicated stories normal action comedily Chuskune audience ki avsarama??? I am not sure if even 5 out of 100 people who will watch can udnerstand the depth of what you just descirbed. But i appreciate your depth of knowledge on these subjects. Unfortunately not everybody is as knwledgeable as you are..... india lo chillar movies ki egabadattu......Hollowood lo kuda okka bekar trend rise avthundhi....... suprheros with humor and extreme graphics and action.....really misssing juicy movies from insane directors like the Cohen Brothers, Martin Scorcese's, QT and Ridley Scott etc...

Eli Roth: ‘I miss films where you think the makers were insane’

Just now, MrDexter said:

Bhaiyya intha complicated stories normal action comedily Chuskune audience ki avsarama??? I am not sure if even 5 out of 100 people who will watch can udnerstand the depth of what you just descirbed. But i appreciate your depth of knowledge on these subjects. Unfortunately not everybody is as knwledgeable as you are..... india lo chillar movies ki egabadattu......Hollowood lo kuda okka bekar trend rise avthundhi....... suprheros with humor and extreme graphics and action.....really misssing juicy movies like the Cohen Brothers, Martin Scorcese's, QT and Ridley Scott etc...

Yeah Coen Brothers movies awesome untaayi bhayya, awesome Black comedies and screwball comedies. You are right anduke movie peddaga hit avvaledu, but still critical acclaim was overwhelmingly positive for the movie. 

It's based on a book called "The Story of your life" by Ted Chiang, a part time writer and a full time IT technologist based out of Seattle. I read his original book, chaala baagundi it's a small book though less than 100 pages. 

Btw I missed watching the last Coen Brothers movie "Hail Ceasar", nuvvu choosava? ela undi?

1 minute ago, tennisluvr said:

Yeah Coen Brothers movies awesome untaayi bhayya, awesome Black comedies and screwball comedies. You are right anduke movie peddaga hit avvaledu, but still critical acclaim was overwhelmingly positive for the movie. 

It's based on a book called "The Story of your life" by Ted Chiang, a part time writer and a full time IT technologist based out of Seattle. I read his original book, chaala baagundi it's a small book though less than 100 pages. 

Btw I missed watching the last Coen Brothers movie "Hail Ceasar", nuvvu choosava? ela undi?

black comedies list ivvu man 

9 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

E roju chusi repu thread lo post chestha naa review...