IPL 2017

Kool_SRG

Rising Pune Supergiant replace injured Ashwin with Washington

prv_1491465184.jpeg

amil Nadu all-rounder Washinton Sundar replaced R Ashwin, who was ruled out of the IPL with sports hernia, in the Rising Pune Supergiant set-up. After confirming his selection, Washington said replacing a legend like Ashwin is a "big thing" for him. "I'm feeling really excited to see this new world [IPL]. Ashwin is a legend and getting a chance to be part of the team in place of him is a big thing for me. After getting this opportunity, I have gained more belief in my hard work," Washington told TOI on Wednesday (April 5).

The Pune franchisee had called the 17-year-old spinner along with Jammu and Kashmir allrounder Parvez Rasool for a trial on April 2.

Washington not only had to compete with an experienced bowler like Rasool, he had to bowl against the likes of Steve Smith and Ben Stokes to prove his mettle. The lanky offspinner, who had earlier attended a trial with Mumbai Indians, went on to "bowl" Smith out and was "tidy" against Stokes to boost his chances of making the cut.

"There wasn't much pressure. I have been bowling really well and I knew I would be able to do well in the trial. I was up against Stokes and Smith. I got Smith bowled. Though it was in a practice session, I felt good to have dismissed a legend like him. I also managed to keep things tidy against Stokes who was looking to be at his aggressive best. Those things gave me confidence," he added.

Two days later, Washington received a word of "appreciation" from his role model and former Pune skipper MS Dhoni for his bowling during a practice session. "I bowled to Dhoni for a long time yesterday in the nets. He gave me advice and appreciated me a few times," added Washington, who has seven wickets in nine List A matches at an economy of 3.93 runs per over for Tamil Nadu.

Washington thanked Tamil Nadu's coach Hrishikesh Kanitkar, who is also an assistant coach with Pune, for backing him during List A tournaments. "Big thanks to him. He trusted my abilities as an allrounder," added Washington, who was part of the Indian team that finished runners-up in the 2016 Under-19 World Cup.

Indian Premier League, 2nd match: Rising Pune Supergiant v Mumbai Indians at Pune, Apr 6, 2017

Steven Smith has won the toss, Supergiant will bowl

Playing XI:

Pune Supergiant: Ajinkya Rahane, Mayank Agarwal, Steve Smith (c), Manoj Tiwary, MS Dhoni (wk), Ben Stokes, Rajat Bhatia, Deepak Chahar, Adam Zampa, Imran Tahir, Ashok Dinda

Mumbai Indians: Rohit Sharma (c), Parthiv Patel (wk), Ambati Rayudu, Kieron Pollard, Nitish Rana, Jos Buttler, Hardik Pandya, Krunal Pandya, Mitchell McClenaghan, Tim Southee, Jasprit Bumrah