Desi uncle building 8 new cricket stadiums in usa

kakatiya

Just now, Naaperushiva said:

beer thaagi njoi chesevi team sports eegaa baa...Individual sports evi aa category ki raavu anukuntunna

Exactly, he's comparing an individual sport that had origins in France(btw Tennis originated from France not Britain) long long ago to the modern version which has had tons of changes from the time it originated. 

It's an apples to oranges comparison, hope he realizes that. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tennisluvr

• TampaChinnodu

• citizenofIND

• Android_Halwa

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, JollyBoy said:

wat abt tennis, did they lose their self respect

Tennis originated in France it's not British in origin. So your question itself is irrelevant. I mentioned American people not warming up to sports that originated from Britain and tennis isn't one of them. 

8 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

I will name them in no particular order 

1) Football (NFL and college level both)

2) Baseball (MLB)

3) Basketball (Both NBA and college level)

4) Ice Hockey(NHL)

5) Soccer (MLS)

Please show me statistics that point out otherwise, and show me one individual sport that comes close to matching these above sports popularity?????

Not sure 100%, But UFC might have more viewership than MLS

Cricket will at best remain a fringe sport in US. Cricket is viewed as an nonathletic sport played by lazy people in the US. It neither has the athleticism of NFL nor the fluidity of NBA so whoever things cricket is going to be popular is just living in a mirage. 

It will at best be popular among the Desi(including Indian, Sri lanka, Pakistani) crowd in the US. So there will be more desi kids playing this sport but don't expect your average Billy from the suburbs to go gaga over cricket and adopting it as his primary sport. That apart, there's no funding opportunities or scholarships for cricket at the university level so you might see some potta/batta crowd from Dallas suburbs play in these stadiums. It won't amount to anything besides the above. 

2 minutes ago, TampaChinnodu said:

Not sure 100%, But UFC might have more viewership than MLS

No way, UFC among individual sports is very popular and gaining more popularity by the day but it doesn't quite fetch the opportunities at the university level as much as soccer does. 

Show me how many UFC related scholarships you find at the university level, I will show you tons of them for soccer. 

2 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

Cricket will at best remain a fringe sport in US. Cricket is viewed as an nonathletic sport played by lazy people in the US. It neither has the athleticism of NFL nor the fluidity of NBA so whoever things cricket is going to be popular is just living in a mirage. 

It will at best be popular among the Desi(including Indian, Sri lanka, Pakistani) crowd in the US. So there will be more desi kids playing this sport but don't expect your average Billy from the suburbs to go gaga over cricket and adopting it as his primary sport. That apart, there's no funding opportunities or scholarships for cricket at the university level so you might see some potta/batta crowd from Dallas suburbs play in these stadiums. It won't amount to anything besides the above. 

Agreed baa...

Maa own cousin unnadu who lives in Edison, NJ. 

His kid is 13 years old now and one of the top cricketing talents from the US in recent times, he's an all rounder and won numerous awards in tournaments here and abroad. Also coached by Arshad Ayub from Hyderabad on a part time basis. What's the use of all that? By the time he tries to attend university he would either have to give up playing the sport or continue playing without sponsorship for no benefit, as there are no sports scholarships available to support playing cricket at the university level. 

I told him numerous times to change his sport to tennis, which would have atleast fetched him a scholarship to attend university if he got good at it. At 13 it's almost too late now and it doesn't seem like my cousin wants to switch him away from cricket. Talent wasted. 

7 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

No way, UFC among individual sports is very popular and gaining more popularity by the day but it doesn't quite fetch the opportunities at the university level as much as soccer does. 

Show me how many UFC related scholarships you find at the university level, I will show you tons of them for soccer. 

I was only talking about rankings based on viewership numbers. not about scholarships or school level.

Just now, TampaChinnodu said:

I was only talking about rankings based on viewership numbers. not about scholarships or school level.

You know World Cup Soccer, Euro Cup both have very high viewership from US. 

1 minute ago, tennisluvr said:

Maa own cousin unnadu who lives in Edison, NJ. 

His kid is 13 years old now and one of the top cricketing talents from the US in recent times, he's an all rounder and won numerous awards in tournaments here and abroad. Also coached by Arshad Ayub from Hyderabad on a part time basis. What's the use of all that? By the time he tries to attend university he would either have to give up playing the sport or continue playing without sponsorship for no benefit, as there are no sports scholarships available to support playing cricket at the university level. 

I told him numerous times to change his sport to tennis, which would have atleast fetched him a scholarship to attend university if he got good at it. At 13 it's almost too late now and it doesn't seem like my cousin wants to switch him away from cricket. Talent wasted. 

if he is good ,slowly his talent will be recognized...I think there are some american cricketers who played for CPL and are still playing...so success doesnot come overnight...slowly he will reach to the maximun if he keeps on working hard....

9 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

Konni high schools lo introduce chepisthunnaru mana vuncles cricket ni valla influence use sesi. I know in california for sure , Not sure about other areas

Just now, TampaChinnodu said:

Again UFC is something that happens on a very regular basis on pay per views so yes it's very popular. Coming to soccer, there are only a few major international tournaments that happen on an yearly basis due to which it perhaps doesn't seem as popular as it truly is. Added to it, most of these tournaments occur in European Time zones like UEFA or Bundesliga for example so most viewers who watch these usually end up watching them from the comfort of their homes as opposed to watching them at bars(unlike a UFC which brings lots of revenue to the bars hence the PPV). 

But come UEFA time just go to any soccer bars around town, they are teeming with people from every corner of the world baying for their team. This level of popularity won't be achieved by cricket in a million years. 

4 minutes ago, TampaChinnodu said:

Konni high schools lo introduce chepisthunnaru mana vuncles cricket ni valla influence use sesi. I know in california for sure , Not sure about other areas

Yes those areas with very high population of desis is an exception. It will remain an exception for the foreseeable future.  You are right about California. 

I have a good friend of mine that lives in Southern Cal, he's white and his wife is chinese. He's got a 3 year old kid whose pic he put up playing cricket on the beach. I was surprised and asked him about it, said cricket was quite popular there due to the high number of desis living around so apparently his kid took a liking to it. The cricketer whose pic was plastered on the bat was Virat Kohli, my friend asked me his name and told him he's quite popular these days. Funny. 

3 minutes ago, CricPokChic said:

if he is good ,slowly his talent will be recognized...I think there are some american cricketers who played for CPL and are still playing...so success doesnot come overnight...slowly he will reach to the maximun if he keeps on working hard....

Hopefully, and I shall hope so due to the love I have towards my cousin. But then the opportunities are far and few in between. We will see how much that changes. The boy is undoubtedly very talented as I have witnessed him play on various occasions, he deserves a fair shot. 

1 minute ago, tennisluvr said:

Again UFC is something that happens on a very regular basis on pay per views so yes it's very popular. Coming to soccer, there are only a few major international tournaments that happen on an yearly basis due to which it perhaps doesn't seem as popular as it truly is. Added to it, most of these tournaments occur in European Time zones like UEFA or Bundesliga for example so most viewers who watch these usually end up watching them from the comfort of their homes as opposed to watching them at bars(unlike a UFC which brings lots of revenue to the bars hence the PPV). 

But come UEFA time just go to any soccer bars around town, they are teeming with people from every corner of the world baying for their team. This level of popularity won't be achieved by cricket in a million years. 

I spoke with a Amru about this who has some what interest in cricket. His argument was many of cricket games are decided by pitch and toss which is not fair. Unlike American sports where both the teams play in almost similar conditions.