suchitra timeline

Hercules

Just now, Girisham said:

Sonali joshi?

Actress Sonali Joshi alleged yesterday she was subjected to mental torture and sexual harassment by Suresh Varma, director of the film Subbu in which she was cast opposite the grandson of former Andhra Pradesh chief minister N.T. Rama Rao, but denied submitting to his sexual advances during shooting in New Zealand. 

"Suresh Varma began ill treating me and forced producers not to pay me," she said. "At first, the producers, director and other unit members behaved well with me. But in New Zealand, Suresh Varma came to my hotel room late one night drunk and made his sexual advances, which I politely refused and informed the producers the next day." 

Speaking to journalists here, she said all the producers did was to claim they were helpless and pleaded with her to forget the incident and continue acting.

"I wanted the shooting to end, so I remained silent. But, Varma's behaviour towards me changed both on and off the sets. He treated me rudely and insulted before the crew." 

When the shooting ended, Sonali Joshi claimed Varma pressurised the producers not to pay her. 

"They have not paid my travel expenses and other dues of about Rs 90,000. I was not even invited to the audio cassette release function of Subbu on December 3," she said, alleging Varma intentionally delayed getting her passport and travel documents for her mother and advanced the filming dates. 

"I did not understand why at first, but in New Zealand I was made to wait in my room for three days. I understood only then what his real intentions were."

The actress said she attempted to lodge a complaint with the Film Chamber but it was rejected on the grounds she was not a member of any film body in Hyderabad. Her attempts to meet 'NTR Junior' who promised to help also were thwarted by him. "NTR Junior simply avoided me." 

The actress vowed she would refuse offers from the Telugu film industry in future after her "bitter experience" with Varma. 

"I have already rejected an offer from producer M.S. Reddy, because I want other Bollywood actresses to be careful in future," she said. 

The actress starred in the Bollywood film Phir Bhi Hindustan Number One which is yet to be released and played a big role in a TV serial produced by Dheeraj Kumar. She said she intended to lodge a police complaint against Varma.