Singer SP Balasubrahmanyam not to sing Ilaiyaraaja's songs after legal notice

Kool_SRG

4 minutes ago, reality said:

Agreed. Notice sounds nasty, but we dont know what made him do it. Also, his action belittles the effort of lyricists and singers who contributed something at least in making those as hits.

Don't know what transpired him to take this step but some time back in some interview he mentioned that many are using his albums with out intimating him....

33 minutes ago, Kool_SRG said:

Don't know what transpired him to take this step but some time back in some interview he mentioned that many are using his albums with out intimating him....

oh..ok..bad move though

illi raja gadiki mind dhobbindhi anukunta....vaadi songs copy right enti na royyaa....vaadiki maha vunte music varake copy right vundaali...he cannot use the lyrics written by lyricist ....;)

1 hour ago, Kool_SRG said:

giphy.gif

Ikkada cheppavemo gaani elantivi vere ekkada cheppaku G toh navvutaaru ninnu ega diga chusi....

@3$%

SPB, Ilaiyaraaja face-off rakes up copyright and royalty issue again

On Saturday night (IST), veteran playback singer SP Balasubrahmanyam, who is currently in the US, as part of a grand world tour celebrating his 50 years in the film industry , put up a post on his Facebook page where he revealed that Isaignani Ilaiyaraaja has sent the team a legal notice asking them to stop performing his songs as they are breaking copyrightlaws by performing them without his permission. Soon enough, opinions started pouring in on social media that took sides with the singer or the music director. This controversy has once again put the spotlight on the copyright and royalty conundrum that has been plaguing the industry for the last few years.

LYRICIST PIRAISUDAN, BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE INDIAN PERFORMING RIGHTS SOCIETY (IPRS)
According to the Supreme Court, the creators of a song hold the rights to it. It considers music directors and lyricists -and not singers -as the creators. However, if these creators choose to sell their rights to a right holder, like a music label, then the label holds the entire rights and the creators cannot claim any right.An organiser of a performance a song needs to get a license from the IPRS (and the Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL), if the show is going to be televised or broadcast) to hold a show. In fact, the performing hall will ask for clearance from the IPRS.This process is the same world over. The IPRS collects a license fee based on the capacity of the hall, the stature of the performers, and so on. Usually , the minimum amount for a regular orchestra performance comes to Rs 5,00010,000, though an or ganiser can ask for a reduction in this amount. The IPRS takes the administrative charges from this amount and splits the rest of the amount between the rights holder, music director and lyricist in the ration 5:3:2. The money that has been collected for the performance of a creator's songs is paid yearly to the creator. And world over the performing rights societies (PRS) function in the same way .

There are allegations that the IPRS hasn't been ensuring that the payment reaches creators and there are a few cases of administrative malpractices that have been filed in the courts. The board of directors are only involved in policy decisions, so we are waiting for the courts to decide on these charges. In this case, Ilaiyaraaja cannot ask a singer to not perform his songs because this is not a single person's right, but a collective right. Tomorrow, can I ask a singer to not sing any of the songs that I have written because I'm their creator? They can reach a solution to this dispute only through the courts or by coming to an understanding between themselves.

ROYALTY HAS TO BE PAID, SAYS E. PRADEEP KUMAR, ILAIYARAAJA'S LAWYER
Ilaiyaraaja sir has been talking about this issue for the past couple of years and he was forced to take action in this case. The IPRS doesn't collect any money for concerts that are conducted outside India.In the US, nobody pays for it; even across the world, nobody pays for their performances.But, royalty has to be paid, and it is the composer who should take care of it. Ilaiyaraaja is the absolute owner of many of the songs he has composed, and people have been utilising his songs for so many years.They charge in lakhs per day , but don't pay the creator anything. That is why the notice has been sent, and this applies to other musicians as well.

Whoever wants to perform the music director's songs should get his permission first and then perform. He might choose to not charge any money, but his permission is a must. There is already a stay in the court which says that nobody can use Ilaiyaraaja's songs without his permission.He has also been talking about this for the past two years and stressing repeatedly in his press meets that his permission should be taken.

Our notice to the organ isers of SPB's tour insists that royalty has to be paid to the composer as per copyright laws.We may take up the issue of royalty on a caseto-case basis. And we are applying this condition across all areas, and not just for singers. Radio stations, television or whatever medium...they should hereafter seek Ilaiyaraaja's permission.

There were intimations earlier for the past two years regarding his approval, and though he wasn't told so specifically, SPB knows that permission needs to be taken from Ilaiyaraaja. He has started this as a tour with a lot of shows -maybe 30 or 40 -happening across the world, and he has covered some countries.When it comes to overseas tours, everyone knows the value of money that they collect.So, why can't they pay the cre ator? Ilaiyaraaja was not se rious about it initially , but when he realised that there is going to be a series of performances, he decid ed to step in and stake his right.

SP Charan, who is the organiser of the singer's tour and is also currently in the US, could not be reached at the time of going to print.

SRINIVAS, PLAYBACK SINGER AND MEMBER OF INDIAN SINGERS RIGHTS ASSOCIATION

Singers cannot definitely be considered at par with composers. I have also done composing, so I know a composer works much more than a singer on a song. Having said that, in the Indian context, the singer is so important for a song.Ours is not like the western band set-up where four of them write the music and lyrics. Here, it is the producer who signs the music director and gives him the money. Then there is the director who asks for the song based on the situation in his film. And a lyricist writes the song. So, a lot of people are involved in the making of a song. Composers like Ilaiyaraaja and RD Burman are in a different league.

The 2012 copyright amendment, in fact, gives singers some royalty, but in India, it is difficult to implement the law. It is the frustration of the composers that the IPRS is not paying them properly that makes them take such moves. This is an unfortunate incident, because for me, both SPB and Ilaiyaraaja are gods. I cannot imagine Pani Vizhum Malarvanam or Ilaya Nila or Mandram Vandha Thendralukku without SPB. Ilaiyaraaja made some great music but without SPB's voice those songs are nothing to me, and I wouldn't be inclined to sing them on stage. I think a singer is also identified as part of a song. How can you take Lata Mangeshkar or KJ Yesudas or Kishore Kumar or TMS from their songs? Take reality shows, for instance. We have Super Singer or Star Singer or some singer. Why aren't there shows for composers? Singers hold a special place and justice VR Krishna Iyer had said this.That is how the 2012 amendment was made in favour of singers. But it is five years now, and we singers have not got a sin gle rupee.

I don't think anybody can stop anyone from singing their song, which is already in the public domain. There are laws and bodies by which the copyright of the creator is protected. IPRS is supposed to pay royalty to the com poser. If the composer does n't get paid by the IPRS, how is it the singer's problem? I don't know what the actual problem is and I think they should solve this amicably.

SPB sir should have gone ahead and sung Ilaiyaraaja's songs. If SPB is paying the license fee, the IPRS will have to pay royalty to Raaja sir. In foreign countries like the US, the copyright laws are really strict and venues themselves have to ensure that. Whether the royalty comes to the composer is a different thing. This system has to get streamlined. Maybe Ilaiyaraaja is doing this to highlight this issue, but this is not the right way to do it, and according to me, he has been illadvised. He has set the ball rolling and so many people are talking about it. The point is IPRS is not paying the royalty properly. Their board is supposed to be reconstituted properly. That is the problem that needs to be highlighted. Ilaiyaraaja should be asking royalty from the IPRS and not SPB.

ILAIYARAAJA'S ALLEGATIONS AGAINST THE IPRS

THE IPRS HAS BEEN PROVIDING FALSE ACCOUNTS TO ITS MEMBERS ON THE ROYALTY AMOUNT THAT THEY COLLECT. I DO NOT GET EVEN 10 PER CENT OF THE AMOUNT THAT THEY COLLECT AS ROYALTY FOR MY SONGS. IN FACT, NO MUSIC DIRECTOR GETS HIS ACTUAL SHARE.MANY EVENT ORGANISER S TELL ME THAT THAT 80 PER CENT OF THE SONGS THAT THEY USE IN THEIR SHOWS ARE MY COMPOSITIONS, BUT THE IPRS GIVES ME ONLY 5-10 PER CENT OF THE AMOUNT COLLECTED AS ROYALTY AND TAKES THE REST CLAIMING SOME EXPENSE OR THE OTHER.THEY ALSO DO NOT HAVE ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS LIKE WHAT AMOUNT DO THEY CHARGE AS ROYALTY TO SONGS FROM A PARTICULAR YEAR OR A PARTICULAR COMPOSER. WE ARE EXPECTED TO GET WHATEVER THEY GIVE US WITHOUT ASKING ANY QUESTIONS. I HAVE LOST MY FAITH IN THEM AND I AM LEAVING THE ORGANISATION AS A MEMBER.

-ILAIYARAAJA, IN JULY 2015, WHILE ADDRESS ING LIGHT MUSIC ORGANISERS

Was Ilaiyaraaja right to sue SP Balasubrahmanyam? Celebs weigh in

Ilaiyaraaja's legal notice to SP Balasubrahmanyam over singing his songs has started a discussion on the country's copyright law.

ilaiyaraaja-spb-1-main.jpg?w=600

Legendary playback singer SP Balasubrahmanyam on Sunday enthralled the audience of his sell-out music tour, SPB 50, in San Jose with all non-Ilaiyaraaja songs. The singer is currently touring the world along with a few other popular musicians to celebrate 50 years of playback singing. Hours before his performance, SPB took everyone by surprise by revealing that he has received a legal notice from his long-time friend Ilaiyaraaja that restricts him from signing the songs composed by the latter.

The issue has also started a serious discussion in the industry about the country’s copyright law and how much of it is followed by the big players. Talking to a news website, music maestro Ilaiyaraaja’s copyright consultant said music composers don’t get a penny while singers make a lot of money singing their songs on commercial shows.

“We are not compelling orchestras or musicians who are surviving on Ilaiyaraaja’s music to pay up royalties. We are only concentrating on people who are earning lakhs or crores by using his creations. SPB is not doing charity shows. They are minting money and the composer doesn’t get 1 rupee. It is his work and creation,” Ilaiyaraaja’s copyrights consultant E Pradeep Kumar told The News Minute.

Lyricist Madhan Karky has backed Ilaiyaraaja’s action in respect to the copyright law. However, he also noted that the music maestro could have handled the situation rather differently, given his decades-old friendship with SPB. “Seeing with the lens of law, what Raja sir did is right. A song is owned by the composer, lyricist and producer. Seeing with the eyes of friendship, it doesn’t seem right. A call instead of a legal notice may have sorted things smoothly. Whenever a song is played or performed outside a cinema hall, for public, royalties for that song will be collected and distributed to composer, lyricist and producer,” Karky wrote on his Facebook page.

“Royalty societies like IPRS will collect such royalties and distribute. Even if Raja sir has not permitted an organisation like IPRS to manage his royalties, and is managing by himself, he still does not own the song completely. Even if Raja sir is performing in a public event, the royalties for those songs should go to the respective lyricists and producers also,” he noted.

“If the writers or producers send a legal notice to him, he will not be able to perform the songs without their prior permission. I am happy that Raja sir is taking this issue to a bigger stage, even if it is bitter to many, so we can get together to understand royalties,” he added.

There is clearly more to the issue than what meets the eye. However, not everyone shares Karky’s rationality in the issue. Talking to a Tamil news channel, Ilaiyaraaja’s brother Gangai Amaran, termed the music director’s decision to sue SPB as “foolishness.”

SPB, as part of his world tour that is organised by his son SPB Charan, has already performed several shows in India, before enthralling his fans in Russia, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore and Dubai. But, Ilaiyaraaja decided to send legal notice during the singer’s US leg because of the country’s strict copyright rules, said sources.

Given that SPB has sung nearly 40,000 songs, the event organisers has nothing to worry about. They can hold hundreds of such tours sans Ilaiyaraaja’s timeless classic songs and the show will go on. But, will Ilaiyaraaja’s bold move encourage others to follow the suit? Only time will tell.

On 3/19/2017 at 8:31 AM, NinduChandurudu said:

ilairaja is nothing in front of DSP ...DSP songs lo unnantha oopu ekkada undadu.. yedupu songs vini greatt ani feel avutaru old gen people

LMAO. Appatlo kooda okathanu ee DB lo ilane annadu. 

Class mass ni mixie lo mix chesi teesthey DSP ani. LOL. 

7 hours ago, Kool_SRG said:

SPB, Ilaiyaraaja face-off rakes up copyright and royalty issue again

On Saturday night (IST), veteran playback singer SP Balasubrahmanyam, who is currently in the US, as part of a grand world tour celebrating his 50 years in the film industry , put up a post on his Facebook page where he revealed that Isaignani Ilaiyaraaja has sent the team a legal notice asking them to stop performing his songs as they are breaking copyrightlaws by performing them without his permission. Soon enough, opinions started pouring in on social media that took sides with the singer or the music director. This controversy has once again put the spotlight on the copyright and royalty conundrum that has been plaguing the industry for the last few years.

LYRICIST PIRAISUDAN, BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE INDIAN PERFORMING RIGHTS SOCIETY (IPRS)
According to the Supreme Court, the creators of a song hold the rights to it. It considers music directors and lyricists -and not singers -as the creators. However, if these creators choose to sell their rights to a right holder, like a music label, then the label holds the entire rights and the creators cannot claim any right.An organiser of a performance a song needs to get a license from the IPRS (and the Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL), if the show is going to be televised or broadcast) to hold a show. In fact, the performing hall will ask for clearance from the IPRS.This process is the same world over. The IPRS collects a license fee based on the capacity of the hall, the stature of the performers, and so on. Usually , the minimum amount for a regular orchestra performance comes to Rs 5,00010,000, though an or ganiser can ask for a reduction in this amount. The IPRS takes the administrative charges from this amount and splits the rest of the amount between the rights holder, music director and lyricist in the ration 5:3:2. The money that has been collected for the performance of a creator's songs is paid yearly to the creator. And world over the performing rights societies (PRS) function in the same way .

There are allegations that the IPRS hasn't been ensuring that the payment reaches creators and there are a few cases of administrative malpractices that have been filed in the courts. The board of directors are only involved in policy decisions, so we are waiting for the courts to decide on these charges. In this case, Ilaiyaraaja cannot ask a singer to not perform his songs because this is not a single person's right, but a collective right. Tomorrow, can I ask a singer to not sing any of the songs that I have written because I'm their creator? They can reach a solution to this dispute only through the courts or by coming to an understanding between themselves.

ROYALTY HAS TO BE PAID, SAYS E. PRADEEP KUMAR, ILAIYARAAJA'S LAWYER
Ilaiyaraaja sir has been talking about this issue for the past couple of years and he was forced to take action in this case. The IPRS doesn't collect any money for concerts that are conducted outside India.In the US, nobody pays for it; even across the world, nobody pays for their performances.But, royalty has to be paid, and it is the composer who should take care of it. Ilaiyaraaja is the absolute owner of many of the songs he has composed, and people have been utilising his songs for so many years.They charge in lakhs per day , but don't pay the creator anything. That is why the notice has been sent, and this applies to other musicians as well.

Whoever wants to perform the music director's songs should get his permission first and then perform. He might choose to not charge any money, but his permission is a must. There is already a stay in the court which says that nobody can use Ilaiyaraaja's songs without his permission.He has also been talking about this for the past two years and stressing repeatedly in his press meets that his permission should be taken.

Our notice to the organ isers of SPB's tour insists that royalty has to be paid to the composer as per copyright laws.We may take up the issue of royalty on a caseto-case basis. And we are applying this condition across all areas, and not just for singers. Radio stations, television or whatever medium...they should hereafter seek Ilaiyaraaja's permission.

There were intimations earlier for the past two years regarding his approval, and though he wasn't told so specifically, SPB knows that permission needs to be taken from Ilaiyaraaja. He has started this as a tour with a lot of shows -maybe 30 or 40 -happening across the world, and he has covered some countries.When it comes to overseas tours, everyone knows the value of money that they collect.So, why can't they pay the cre ator? Ilaiyaraaja was not se rious about it initially , but when he realised that there is going to be a series of performances, he decid ed to step in and stake his right.

SP Charan, who is the organiser of the singer's tour and is also currently in the US, could not be reached at the time of going to print.

SRINIVAS, PLAYBACK SINGER AND MEMBER OF INDIAN SINGERS RIGHTS ASSOCIATION

Singers cannot definitely be considered at par with composers. I have also done composing, so I know a composer works much more than a singer on a song. Having said that, in the Indian context, the singer is so important for a song.Ours is not like the western band set-up where four of them write the music and lyrics. Here, it is the producer who signs the music director and gives him the money. Then there is the director who asks for the song based on the situation in his film. And a lyricist writes the song. So, a lot of people are involved in the making of a song. Composers like Ilaiyaraaja and RD Burman are in a different league.

The 2012 copyright amendment, in fact, gives singers some royalty, but in India, it is difficult to implement the law. It is the frustration of the composers that the IPRS is not paying them properly that makes them take such moves. This is an unfortunate incident, because for me, both SPB and Ilaiyaraaja are gods. I cannot imagine Pani Vizhum Malarvanam or Ilaya Nila or Mandram Vandha Thendralukku without SPB. Ilaiyaraaja made some great music but without SPB's voice those songs are nothing to me, and I wouldn't be inclined to sing them on stage. I think a singer is also identified as part of a song. How can you take Lata Mangeshkar or KJ Yesudas or Kishore Kumar or TMS from their songs? Take reality shows, for instance. We have Super Singer or Star Singer or some singer. Why aren't there shows for composers? Singers hold a special place and justice VR Krishna Iyer had said this.That is how the 2012 amendment was made in favour of singers. But it is five years now, and we singers have not got a sin gle rupee.

I don't think anybody can stop anyone from singing their song, which is already in the public domain. There are laws and bodies by which the copyright of the creator is protected. IPRS is supposed to pay royalty to the com poser. If the composer does n't get paid by the IPRS, how is it the singer's problem? I don't know what the actual problem is and I think they should solve this amicably.

SPB sir should have gone ahead and sung Ilaiyaraaja's songs. If SPB is paying the license fee, the IPRS will have to pay royalty to Raaja sir. In foreign countries like the US, the copyright laws are really strict and venues themselves have to ensure that. Whether the royalty comes to the composer is a different thing. This system has to get streamlined. Maybe Ilaiyaraaja is doing this to highlight this issue, but this is not the right way to do it, and according to me, he has been illadvised. He has set the ball rolling and so many people are talking about it. The point is IPRS is not paying the royalty properly. Their board is supposed to be reconstituted properly. That is the problem that needs to be highlighted. Ilaiyaraaja should be asking royalty from the IPRS and not SPB.

ILAIYARAAJA'S ALLEGATIONS AGAINST THE IPRS

THE IPRS HAS BEEN PROVIDING FALSE ACCOUNTS TO ITS MEMBERS ON THE ROYALTY AMOUNT THAT THEY COLLECT. I DO NOT GET EVEN 10 PER CENT OF THE AMOUNT THAT THEY COLLECT AS ROYALTY FOR MY SONGS. IN FACT, NO MUSIC DIRECTOR GETS HIS ACTUAL SHARE.MANY EVENT ORGANISER S TELL ME THAT THAT 80 PER CENT OF THE SONGS THAT THEY USE IN THEIR SHOWS ARE MY COMPOSITIONS, BUT THE IPRS GIVES ME ONLY 5-10 PER CENT OF THE AMOUNT COLLECTED AS ROYALTY AND TAKES THE REST CLAIMING SOME EXPENSE OR THE OTHER.THEY ALSO DO NOT HAVE ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS LIKE WHAT AMOUNT DO THEY CHARGE AS ROYALTY TO SONGS FROM A PARTICULAR YEAR OR A PARTICULAR COMPOSER. WE ARE EXPECTED TO GET WHATEVER THEY GIVE US WITHOUT ASKING ANY QUESTIONS. I HAVE LOST MY FAITH IN THEM AND I AM LEAVING THE ORGANISATION AS A MEMBER.

-ILAIYARAAJA, IN JULY 2015, WHILE ADDRESS ING LIGHT MUSIC ORGANISERS

Finally. Those who say Singer also has property rights to the song don't know how the system works.

Ilayaraja is perfectly right in asking SPB to stop singing. SPB, instead of crying, could have explained if he had paid the royalty to IPRS, so IPRS can be put on the dock.

that SPB has not done that makes it seem that he's trying to stiff Ilayaraja off his legitimate earnings. 

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:47 AM, Kool_SRG said:

Raja sent Legal notice not sing his albums with out his permission...

Edo show lo kuda cheppadu aamadya naa songs mamalni adalunda use chestunnaru commercial purpose ki ani...

yeah.. full ga vaadeskoni paisal sampadistunnaru.. ilaya raja ki okka rupayi kuda ivvatle andukani.. kalindi..

ilaya raja ni kuda pilichi konni paisalu is the aypothadi kada

On 3/19/2017 at 0:45 PM, iTeachSAP said:

how can ilaya raja garu claim as his songs ? Producers paid money to him to  compose songs and ilayaraja sold his tunes for money to producers. At the same time, Ilayaraja cannot sing or perform on stage without producers permission. Will he agree with that ? 

If SPB has no rights to sing, then so is ilayaraja.... 

u better stick to teaching SAP @3$%

Ilayaraja owns the rights of the music he composed..its the agreement he makes with producer before composing for their films. He has every right to deny permission to sing hi ssongs

13 minutes ago, Quickgun_murugan said:

yeah.. full ga vaadeskoni paisal sampadistunnaru.. ilaya raja ki okka rupayi kuda ivvatle andukani.. kalindi..

vaadu raaka poyina ivvaala. adhi rule. SPB isthunnado, aa IPRS vaallu eggodthunnaro, leka SPB nay eggodthunnado Ilayaraja ki telivaali.

SPB adhi cheppakunda, public lo sympathy mongering. already SPB is the fakest celebrity. athi vinayam in public. ilanti issue lo clarity tho maatladali ani athaniki thochaledhu. obvious.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Quickgun_murugan said:

comedy aside...Ilaya Raja doesnt like to do kaya kacheris for money..So far he only did concerst for charity and he explicitly said he doesnt like to do concerts for money.

When he owns the rights to the songs e composed, He has every right to stop some one from using his songs and that too with out permission by scums like spb

Just now, lazybugger said:

vaadu raaka poyina ivvaala. adhi rule. SPB isthunnado, aa IPRS vaallu eggodthunnaro, leka SPB nay eggodthunnado Ilayaraja ki telivaali.

SPB adhi cheppakunda, public lo sympathy mongering. already SPB is the fakest celebrity. athi vinayam in public. ilanti issue lo clarity tho maatladali ani athaniki thochaledhu. obvious.

haha..true..copyrights vuntai ani kuda telvadu anukunta SP gadiki..

And whatever he said on FB was pure BS..he was informed about not to use Ilayaraja songs but he didnt listen..hence the lawsuit.

Biscuit gadu dabbulaki concerts chestu malla edo free ga janalni entertain chestunte Ilayaraja addu padinattu vadi OA