Quora lo ee H1 question ki answers dekho

Quickgun_murugan

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-better-to-move-to-Canada-as-a-Permanent-Resident-instead-of-staying-in-US-on-H1B/answer/Surya-Chaitanya-Kari

I immigrated to Canada after studying and working in the US for 9 years. Here are two absolutely real conversations that happened to me. I hold an Indian passport, and I was working with what was then ranked as the best company to work for in the US.

Fun fact : My wife and I paid more taxes together than the average family income in the state of North Carolina.

Anyway, back on topic.

Place : Raleigh Durham Airport Immigration

Date : November 2014

My wife and I are returning from a family visit to London. At the airport, there are signs that are fairly ambiguous. Visitors on one line, and residents on the other. We figured, “Hey, we are residents, right?” We pay taxes, and we have been here in NC for the past 6 years. So we stand in the residents line

Immigration Officer : Passport or Green Card are please. I tell her I am on an H1B and that Raleigh is home for me for the last 5 years. She looks at me and says and I will never forget this

“You have no right to stand in this line. This is reserved for US Citizens and LPRs. This is the only time I will allow you to enter through this lane. You are a LONG TERM visitor, and this is not permanent home. Your home is your country of origin.”

She then asks me when I am leaving the country. I again remind her that I work in NC full time. She asks me again, this time while reminding me that my last date is the one indicated on my I-797.

And for all the Yanks who are saying “ She was right “ jingoism , yes she was absolutely right but it shatters the illusion of belonging. After staying in a country for 10 years a part of you becomes comfortable with the fact that you get to stay and live there. Moments like this shatter that illusion.

Fast Forward to today : March 2017 (moved to Toronto in Nov 2015 as a Permanent resident)

Place : Toronto Pearson Immigration

I enter the country and look around. No officers for Permanent residents. I use a machine that asks me nothing but my Maple Leaf Card ( I call my PR the Maple Leaf Card). Not even my passport. The machine spits out a paper.

At the exit an immigration officer takes my paper, looks at me and says,

Officer : Welcome Home sir. How was your trip?

Those words, “Welcome Home,” something I have never heard in a US Airport make you feel so special. It just makes you feel accepted; you feel a warm invisible blanket of embrace when you come in. Something I only feel when I go back to India. The first sight of a Canadian flag in Pearson reminds you that you are home and safe, it is indescribable in words.

I love Canada, my wife, who questioned the rational of leaving a fairly stable life in the US and moving to Canada, now loves this country.

Canada really is the ‘True North, Strong and Free’; the last bastion of true freedom in the world; the most amazing country in the world.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Quickgun_murugan

• tennisluvr

• nandananditha

• Picha lite

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Quickgun_murugan said:

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-better-to-move-to-Canada-as-a-Permanent-Resident-instead-of-staying-in-US-on-H1B/answer/Surya-Chaitanya-Kari

I immigrated to Canada after studying and working in the US for 9 years. Here are two absolutely real conversations that happened to me. I hold an Indian passport, and I was working with what was then ranked as the best company to work for in the US.

Fun fact : My wife and I paid more taxes together than the average family income in the state of North Carolina.

Anyway, back on topic.

My wife and I are returning from a family visit to London. At the airport, there are signs that are fairly ambiguous. Visitors on one line, and residents on the other. We figured, “Hey, we are residents, right?” We pay taxes, and we have been here in NC for the past 6 years. So we stand in the residents line

Immigration Officer : Passport or Green Card are please. I tell her I am on an H1B and that Raleigh is home for me for the last 5 years. She looks at me and says and I will never forget this

“You have no right to stand in this line. This is reserved for US Citizens and LPRs. This is the only time I will allow you to enter through this lane. You are a LONG TERM visitor, and this is not permanent home. Your home is your country of origin.”

She then asks me when I am leaving the country. I again remind her that I work in NC full time. She asks me again, this time while reminding me that my last date is the one indicated on my I-797.

And for all the Yanks who are saying “ She was right “ jingoism , yes she was absolutely right but it shatters the illusion of belonging. After staying in a country for 10 years a part of you becomes comfortable with the fact that you get to stay and live there. Moments like this shatter that illusion.

Fast Forward to today : March 2017 (moved to Toronto in Nov 2015 as a Permanent resident)

I enter the country and look around. No officers for Permanent residents. I use a machine that asks me nothing but my Maple Leaf Card ( I call my PR the Maple Leaf Card). Not even my passport. The machine spits out a paper.

Those words, “Welcome Home,” something I have never heard in a US Airport make you feel so special. It just makes you feel accepted; you feel a warm invisible blanket of embrace when you come in. Something I only feel when I go back to India. The first sight of a Canadian flag in Pearson reminds you that you are home and safe, it is indescribable in words.

I love Canada, my wife, who questioned the rational of leaving a fairly stable life in the US and moving to Canada, now loves this country.

Canada really is the ‘True North, Strong and Free’; the last bastion of true freedom in the world; the most amazing country in the world.

Yes uncle morning e choosa nenu kooda, it came on my Quora daily digest. 

What do you say about what he said? Athanu cheppindi correcte kadaa, US lo immigrants ante purugulani choosinattu choostharu TSA vallu. They don't care if you are legal/illegal. 

1 minute ago, Quickgun_murugan said:

Anyway, back on topic.

read this yesterday

4 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

What do you say about what he said? Athanu cheppindi correcte kadaa, US lo immigrants ante purugulani choosinattu choostharu TSA vallu. They don't care if you are legal/illegal. 

nuvvannadi konchem correst a bro.. other countries tho compare chesthe US is far better for immigrants...

Just now, Quickgun_murugan said:

nuvvannadi konchem correst a bro.. other countries tho compare chesthe US is far better for immigrants...

TSA do abuse of power man, chaala cases lo choosa. 

1 minute ago, Quickgun_murugan said:

US overall isn't a bad country for immigrants, just talking about how people working at TSA behave. 

Immigrant on a visa anangane they show their arrogance and treat you like a prick, ade same malli GC or citizenship ochindi neeku ante they are nice towards you. 

5 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

vuncle nuvu army ki apply chesi ila matladuthunnav .. entha varaki samanjasam idi

Just now, tennisluvr said:

US overall isn't a bad country for immigrants, just talking about how people working at TSA behave. 

Immigrant on a visa anangane they show their arrogance and treat you like a prick, ade same malli GC or citizenship ochindi neeku ante they are nice towards you. 

hmm dont think so .. immigrants GC vachina citizenship vachina immigrant ey .. only born and brought up aithe that is different

7 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

3 minutes ago, Quickgun_murugan said:

US lo H1B to GC line lo velladu, CANADA lo PR to PR line loki velladu.. there is lot of diffrence right? in US, why is he complaining i dont know, while he was at mistake?@~`

1 minute ago, mettastar said:

vuncle nuvu army ki apply chesi ila matladuthunnav .. entha varaki samanjasam idi

Uncle I am just talking about TSA and how they treat you at the POE. TSA chala sarli showed their over reach, vallaki sagam telisi sagam teliyani law tho entho mandini sent back and keep sending back justifying their decisions since those people are on a visa. 

Immigrants em value cheyarantava US ki, alantappudu why don't they treat them in a fairer manner? army or no army that's the fact man. TSA does need some lessons in courtesy. 

1 minute ago, Hitman said:

US lo H1B to GC line lo velladu, CANADA lo PR to PR line loki velladu.. there is lot of diffrence right? in US, why is he complaining i dont know, while he was at mistake?@~`

Yeah I don't think he was complaining though just saying how the immigration officers behave at the POE of both nations. He was clearly in the wrong line and I don't think he was saying he was right in that. 

2 minutes ago, mettastar said:

hmm dont think so .. immigrants GC vachina citizenship vachina immigrant ey .. only born and brought up aithe that is different

Yeah that's true ankul. But naa friend okadu came to US on H1B once and after that when he got his citizenship again. He said the attitude of the people at TSA was totally different although he still was the same person.

Bold word prakaram she allowed him through the lane .... She shouldn't have said 'this is the only time', rather should have said 'for now'

Every other thing they said is very professional. They will be under tremondous pressure not to allow immigrants via green card line ...

but US is notorious for over blown safety measures... even in flights they say not to stay together once it starts from Dubai