Sears next in line for bankruptcy ?

kakatiya

If Sears Holdings (NASDAQ:SHLD) ends up going bankrupt, as its recent annual filing with the SEC admits is a possibility, there's the potential the sale of its Craftsman tool business it cemented with Stanley Black & Decker (NYSE:SWK) could become undone.

For the moment it doesn't seem as though it's going to happen, but it underscores just how tenuous Sears' position is and how far the effects a bankruptcy filings would reach.

Man using a Craftsman circular saw

IMAGE SOURCE: SEARS HOLDINGS.

A telling admission

Sears caused a tumult when it filed its 10-K report that said based on how bad its financial performance has been, it indicated "substantial doubt exists related to the Company's ability to continue as a going concern." That was like a fire bell clanging in the hall, because even though almost everyone knew Sears was careening downhill, it was the first time the retailer itself acknowledged the potential it could implode.

And what was even more revealing was the fact that if it did declare bankruptcy, the courts could unwind the Craftsman deal with Stanley if it found Sears was already insolvent at the time of the deal, became insolvent because of it, or the deal left it with insufficient assets to continue operating because they could all be construed as violating laws of "fraudulent conveyance and transfer."

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ICANWIN

• JANASENA

• Batman_fan

• greensboro

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, kakatiya said:

Best buy too  and Fry's electronics

Ultimately smaller electronics like metro PCs will survive

Best buy is doing good...they have new projects coming up...as far as i know best buy is doing good

20 minutes ago, ICANWIN said:

Best buy is doing good...they have new projects coming up...as far as i know best buy is doing good

Best Buy might survive for another 4-5 years anukuntunna. amazon and other online ecommerce electronics websites are having more sales than bestbuy.

HHGregg declared bankruptcy and closing all their stores.

14 minutes ago, greensboro said:

Best Buy might survive for another 4-5 years anukuntunna. amazon and other online ecommerce electronics websites are having more sales than bestbuy.

HHGregg declared bankruptcy and closing all their stores.

I agree to a part kaani...best buy eppudu ayyithey amazon tho price match cheyyadam start chesindo it has picked up...majority of them like to pick up electronics immediately and if it is available in store around 25miles and a price match also. If u r using best buy credit card and you pay off once for the product u get 6% back so definitely best buy is the catch...amazon holds lots of products I agree...I personally go to amazon for reviews and get a price match for those elecs and get that on spot 

The way people shop is changing

couple months ago i read article somewhere

I have seen couple examples  while doing masters.

some of my friends worked in mall we have seen lot of store closing 

6 minutes ago, Neutral said:

I agree to a part kaani...best buy eppudu ayyithey amazon tho price match cheyyadam start chesindo it has picked up...majority of them like to pick up electronics immediately and if it is available in store around 25miles and a price match also. If u r using best buy credit card and you pay off once for the product u get 6% back so definitely best buy is the catch...amazon holds lots of products I agree...I personally go to amazon for reviews and get a price match for those elecs and get that on spot 

Best Buy online business survive authundi emo kani brick and mortar stores close chestharu tvaralo anipisthundi. bestbuy inka nadusthundi ante brand name valla. 

1 minute ago, greensboro said:

Best Buy online business survive authundi emo kani brick and mortar stores close chestharu tvaralo anipisthundi. bestbuy inka nadusthundi ante brand name valla. 

Stores closing is different from bankruptcy dude

1 hour ago, kakatiya said:

Best buy too  and Fry's electronics

Ultimately smaller electronics like metro PCs will survive

Best Buy inka shaana time undi le bhai.

25 minutes ago, greensboro said:

adey chepthunna bro online amazon kooda undi...but electronics is some thing people get excited and want it the same day if they can...so currently after circuit city biggest one is best buy and it is coming up with nice ideas to promote itself....simple bro Americans want to stand in line in front of a electronics store on a Thanksgiving for some deals and currently that is best buy...edi varaku circuit city undedi and they were ignorant and could not compete with online strategies of amazon and others....small stores are always there and will be there they do not make much difference in these big consumer markets..