Know your rights: What to do if your flight is overbooked

Batman_fan

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/11/news/united-passenger-flight-rights/

With the recent incident and considering how many passengers bumped every year (45K), it is good idea to know your rights especially if you fly very often.  Make note of below highlighted. 

The DOT warns fliers that their bargaining power is the greatest before they cash in their reward for being involuntarily bumped -- whether it's a voucher or a check.

"Once you cash the check (or accept the free flight), you will probably lose the ability to pursue more money from the airline later on," the DOT says on its website.

If you the cost of being bumped exceeds what you were paid at the airport, you can always try to negotiate a higher settlement via the airline's complaint department, the agency says. And if that doesn't work, you can sue.

"You are always free to decline the check (e.g., not cash it) and take the airline to court to try to obtain more compensation," according to the DOT.

3 minutes ago, perugu_vada said:

So ipudu ah chinki vadu sue chestademo definite ga ?

already airline ollu out of court lo settlement ki trying anta reddit lo sadivna 

4 minutes ago, perugu_vada said:

Sue chesudu endi...airline gadu digi vachi...adiginantha ichi out of court settlement chesukuntadu...

life set vaya ie chinki doctor di...

Just now, Android_Halwa said:

Sue chesudu endi...airline gadu digi vachi...adiginantha ichi out of court settlement chesukuntadu...

life set vaya ie chinki doctor di...

69 years anta vadiki and a doctor also , UA odu sachinde 

9 minutes ago, perugu_vada said:

Yes, but he needs to prove that whatever airlines provided, I think 1K, is much lesser than the cost of being bumped. Even if he cannot, the injuries he sustained are enough to sue the airlines

If  I were CEO of this airlines, I immediately reach out to this guy and negotiate even before he starts reaching out to any attorney. I will make an agreement not to bring any damage to the airlines reputation or talk to press about the incident even in the future. I will also make sure PR makes the negotiation look good through some publicity. And finally change the overbooking rules. 

5 minutes ago, Batman_fan said:

Yes, but he needs to prove that whatever airlines provided, I think 1K, is much lesser than the cost of being bumped. Even if he cannot, the injuries he sustained are enough to sue the airlines

Prove em undi anna, when a flight is overbooked the flight crew ask for volunteers to take next fli by offering a perk. And the flight crew should do this before allowing all the passengers boarding the flight not after allowing them to board flight. Ekkaka random ga select chesi nv digipo ante ela. 

sue ki options:

1. involuntary nannu dimpesaru

2. If he car prove that not boarding the flight my patients operation got delayed and which directly made notorious reputation on my carrier as dr.

3. He can sue the security but he is a small potato he will go after united airlines 

4. His injuries and his rights

anyways united airlines is screwed will go for a out of court settlement 

my 2 cents 

Just now, sandeep111 said:

Prove em undi anna, when a flight is overbooked the flight crew ask for volunteers to take next fli by offering a perk. And the flight crew should do this before allowing all the passengers boarding the flight not after allowing them to board flight. Ekkaka random ga select chesi nv digipo ante ela. 

sue ki options:

1. involuntary nannu dimpesaru - Not possible - they have right to randomly select if no one volunteers

2. If he car prove that not boarding the flight my patients operation got delayed and which directly made notorious reputation on my carrier as dr. - Possible, but may backfire if this proves wrong.

3. He can sue the security but he is a small potato he will go after united airlines - He cannot sue individuals when those individuals followed the organizations established rules. 

4. His injuries and his rights - Yes

anyways united airlines is screwed will go for a out of court settlement 

my 2 cents 

Not possible?? AIrlines should request not force never heard they can randomly do it with out a reason 

if not a operation general visit ki kuda bad name ani chepochu