Why Sachin is different from the others(apart from his cricketing talent)..

AFDB_Radio

The evening before my last session at the MCA, I called the supervisor Ajay Desai and asked him to
inform all the groundsmen and helpers that I would like to meet them personally the next morning. It
was my way of recognizing everything they had done for me and thanking them for their contribution
to my career. I carried tokens of appreciation for them and it was deeply touching to see them all
waiting patiently for me. As I thanked them for their help and support, some hugged me and a few had
tears in their eyes. It was a very moving moment and I felt humbled. The best part, however, was yet
 to come. When I’d finished, I was expecting the groundsmen to resume their normal duties. However,
to my surprise they announced that on this occasion they weren’t going to leave me. Instead, they all
stood there while I went through my routine. Having spent a lifetime with the groundsmen in Mumbai,
I must say I was overwhelmed at the gesture.

It was a similar story with the groundsmen at the Wankhede. I have known these men for years and
many watched me grow up as a cricketer. Once again I brought tokens of appreciation for all of them
and we took a group photograph to mark the occasion. I will always remember the way they treated
me.

main-qimg-6f8b442ece19a42869951572b51d1056.webpSachin+Tendulkar.jpg