2012 Delhi gangrape case verdict: SC upholds death penalty for four convicts, calls it 'barbaric' incident

Kool_SRG

Supreme Court on Friday upheld the earlier order of death sentence to the four convicts in the brutal Delhi 2012 gangrape case.

The SC bench said, "Taking the serious injuries, the severe nature of offence committed by the convicts, we are upholding the sentence." The apex court, in its order, termed the incident "barbaric."

#JusticeForNirbhaya All 4 rapists to be hanged, SC upholds death sentence by HC. pic.twitter.com/DhEzVkpxEQ

— News18 (@CNNnews18) May 5, 2017

SC said 'taking the serious injuries, the severe nature of offence committeed by the convicts, we are upholding the sentence' #Nirbhaya

— ANI (@ANI_news) May 5, 2017

Mukesh, Pawan, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur were convicted on charges of brutally raping and assaulting 23-year-old Jyoti Singh inside a bus that led to her death.

SC confirmed findings of the trial court and Delhi High Court against the four convicts in the case. The SC bench said in its order, the nature and manner of the crime devastated social trust and it falls in 'rarest of rare' category warranting the death penalty. According to PTI, a three-judge bench headed by Justice Dipak Misra wrote two separate but concurring judgments in the case. The Delhi High Court earlier upheld their conviction and death sentence.

Justice Dipak Misra, Justice Ashok Bhushan and Justice R Banumathi said the aggravating circumstances against Mukesh, Pawan, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur far outweighed the mitigating circumstances cited in their favour.

"Victim's dying declaration is consistent; it has been proved beyond doubt and corroborated," the Supreme Court said. The apex court further said that scientific evidence like DNA profiling of victim and accused proved to the hilt about their presence at the crime spot, reported PTI.

The Supreme Court order further said that convicts' background, age, no criminal record, good behaviour in prison cannot outweigh aggravating circumstances.

The paramedical student was gruesomely beaten, gang-raped and tortured in a moving bus by Ram Singh, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur, Pawan Gupta, Mukesh and a juvenile on 16 December, 2012 when she was travelling with a friend in New Delhi. She succumbed to her injuries 13 days later at a Singapore hospital.

Ram Singh, who was the prime accused, was found dead in his cell in Tihar Jail in March, 2013 and the juvenile was on 31 August convicted and sentenced to a maximum of three years in a reformation home by the Juvenile Justice Board. The fate of four death row convicts was decided on Friday.

After the verdict was out, Jyoti Singh's father told ANI that he was happy with the judgment and it was a victory for the family.

It's a victory for my family,I am very happy with the judgement: #Nirbhaya's father to ANI

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ICANWIN

• lazybugger

• Kool_SRG

• mahesh1

Top Posters In This Topic

Nirbhaya Rapists To Hang, Says Top Court, Refers To Her 'Dying Declaration'

NEW DELHI: 

HIGHLIGHTS

1. In Dec 2012 gangrape case, top court has confirmed death for 4 convicts
  2. 'Accused were obsessed about ravishing her life', say judges
  3. 4 convicts had appealed against death sentence

Four of the men held guilty of raping and torturing a 23-year-old medical student on a moving bus in Delhi in December 2012 will hang, the Supreme Court said today, describing the crime as a "story of a different world". The court referred to the dying declaration of the young woman and said the "brutal and demonic" crime had been proved beyond doubt.

"If ever a case called for hanging, this was it," said the three judges, confirming the death penalty handed by two courts.

The verdict was pronounced to loud applause in court, in the presence of the parents of the woman who came to be known as "Nirbhaya" or fearless. Her mother wept silently.

delhi gangrape convict

"The accused were obsessed about ravishing her life, she was treated as an object of enjoyment," said the judges, noting that the offence created a "tsunami of shock". The convicts, they said, also tried to run over the woman and her friend after throwing them off the bus.

Amid outrage and street protests not just in India but also in other parts of the world, four of the rapists were sentenced to death by a trial court in 2013. A year later, the high court confirmed it. But Akshay Thakur, Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh moved the Supreme Court for mercy.

On December 16 2012, after watching a movie, the physiotherapy student and her friend climbed onto a bus in south Delhi, assured by the driver that they would be dropped off at their destination.

The woman was gang-raped by six men for hours, brutalized with an iron rod and her intestines were pulled out. She died in a Singapore hospital 13 days later, leaving millions in shock.

"I am khush (happy)," said Nirbhaya's father BN Singh.

Ram Singh, the bus driver, was found hanging in his cell in Tihar jail in March 2013, months before the rapists were convicted. Last year, Vinay Sharma also allegedly tried to commit suicide. The sixth convict was just short of 18 when he was arrested.

He walked out of a correction home in December 2015 after spending three years - the maximum punishment for minors - sparking public outrage and an overhaul of the juvenile law.

8 minutes ago, Kool_SRG said:

Ippudu veellu shamabikshaki vellina Pranab Mukarjee garu iche prasakte ledu... 

I usually don't support death penalty but ilanti manushulu should be wiped out from earth. A ammayi parents would at least feel justice served and will get some relief. 

3 minutes ago, ICANWIN said:

These bastards might have got hanged long back. I usually don't support death penalty but ilanti manushulu should be wiped out on earth.

+1

6 minutes ago, ICANWIN said:

I usually don't support death penalty but ilanti manushulu should be wiped out from earth. A ammayi parents would at least feel justice served and will get some relief. 

@gr33d

9 minutes ago, ICANWIN said:

After the verdict was out, Jyoti Singh's father told ANI that he was happy with the judgment and it was a victory for the family.

It's a victory for my family,I am very happy with the judgement: #Nirbhaya's father to ANI

1 minute ago, Kool_SRG said:

Nice but still feel sad for Jyoti and her family.  #$1

6 minutes ago, ICANWIN said:

Nice but still feel sad for Jyoti and her family.  #$1

Obviously buddy can't bring her back its a painful lose to the family for life $s@d