Shocking , Spelling BEE in ESPN 99% ABCD

iddaritho

1 minute ago, chittimallu2 said:

Like I said, its a community thing. A white guy prefers his kid to be in baseball or tennis.. black with basketball and indians with spelling bee. Nothing wrong, they all want their kid to compete in what their community typically excels at. You dont have to see a reason, they have their reasons probably.

baseball is huge in japan, an asian country. football is big in china (bigger than in india atleast), basketball is very very huge in china.... maybe you have no clue about those sports abroad but do your research and you will know more.... You dont have a valid argument now so all you try to do is belittle spelling bee and put a "lol" at the end of it. Why does everything have to be physically beneficial? nuvvu ekkada argument start chesi ekkadiki velthunnavo ardham avthundha? What does the lack of physical aspect to spelling has to do with the ego you claimed of in the first post?

you cant rub my feelings, if you re read what you have read you will know who's nerve is being hit. 

Beyond a community thing it's also a measure of what a particular community thinks being well rounded means. Since most desis like you believe spelling out a few words like an automaton makes a kid well rounded, that's the only thing the vast majority of them get into "spelling bee competitions". I didn't involve Japan in my comparisons for a reason, Japan unlike China and South Korea is and has been a developed country since the past few decades. Yes I do know Baseball is huge in Japan, basketball became huge in China because unlike the typical desi kid goaded to prepare for spelling bees Chinese kids have excelled at playing basketball at the highest level successfully(case in point Yao Ming). Also Jeremy Lin in the past 5 years. 

Basketball is pretty popular in India as well, however the facilities don't exist for them to realize their true potential. But in a nation where those facilities do indeed exist, most desi parents are happy to make their kids spelling bee bots instead of encouraging them to do something that might benefit their physical ability at a stage when they are growing. That's the physical aspect of it, typically these kids who go to spelling bees end up as huge nerds and only stick to other Indian American nerds like themselves. Reason is because they have nothing to relate to as far as other kids they grow up with is concerned. Playing a team sport not only benefits them physically but also encourages team work and makes them be a good team player, all of which will be very useful in life later on. 

But I guess just as you showed here with your arguments, the vast majority of them might just be happy to see their kids as spelling bee bots and nothing else. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tennisluvr

• chittimallu2

• Srimantudu

• Suhaas

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Feelingbad said:

Why are the white guys more into management ?

Why are black guys more into sports / dance ?

Why are Indians more into education / technology?

Its genetics man.... that's the area we can do best.

Stop judging everyone too quickly. This world and the human race is so complex....many ifs & if elses involved. Ego & showoff is not the reason for everything...

As far as i understand, relatively Indians are doing their part pretty well with what ever they can. Stop hating your own people. 

Babu ikkada evadu hate chestunnadi. Nenu choosindi cheppa, my niece also went to the national spelling bee championship finals and naa cousin ki kooda ide point cheppa nenu. He agreed as well with me that most kids are pushed into it because of parents egos and competition mindset with other desis around them ani. 

8 minutes ago, chittimallu2 said:

Its a generation and clutural thing... sports are nit very big in India bar cricket... moreover highly physical sports are not something indians can excel at due to various reasons. Basketball, baseball and football are all bigger in other asian countries compared to India. So yeah it has nothing to do with the ego of desi parents that you talk about

They became big also because they tried to excel in those sports, unlike our people claiming that we aren't genetically or physically suited to excelling in those above mentioned sports. Same goes for the Olympics as well, we have a convenient excuse throwing around "oh we don't have the genetics" card while these nations don't hide behind that excuse and put effort into excelling at sports which they haven't had a lot of history succeeding at. 

1 minute ago, tennisluvr said:

Beyond a community thing it's also a measure of what a particular community thinks being well rounded means. Since most desis like you believe spelling out a few words like an automaton makes a kid well rounded, that's the only thing the vast majority of them get into "spelling bee competitions". I didn't involve Japan in my comparisons for a reason, Japan unlike China and South Korea is and has been a developed country since the past few decades. Yes I do know Baseball is huge in Japan, basketball became huge in China because unlike the typical desi kid goaded to prepare for spelling bees Chinese kids have excelled at playing basketball at the highest level successfully(case in point Yao Ming). Also Jeremy Lin in the past 5 years. 

Basketball is pretty popular in India as well, however the facilities don't exist for them to realize their true potential. But in a nation where those facilities do indeed exist, most desi parents are happy to make their kids spelling bee bots instead of encouraging them to do something that might benefit their physical ability at a stage when they are growing. That's the physical aspect of it, typically these kids who go to spelling bees end up as huge nerds and only stick to other Indian American nerds like themselves. Reason is because they have nothing to relate to as far as other kids they grow up with is concerned. Playing a team sport not only benefits them physically but also encourages team work and makes them be a good team player, all of which will be very useful in life later on. 

But I guess just as you showed here with your arguments, the vast majority of them might just be happy to see their kids as spelling bee bots and nothing else. 

I dont want to prolong more... but you are mixing many things up... Yao Ming was not from USA (since we are talking about american indians) so it has nothing to compare with spelling bee. Spelling Bee is not popular in India and no one prepares for it there. Also like I said Indians are generations late to enter into the US so its not correct to compare the case of Jeremy Lin too, how many asian americans did you see in NBA in the 90s? They are just catching up now and Indians are further late to enter the US so may be in the future generations.....

You have no valid argument so you just take a jibe at spelling bee and call the ones exercising it as bots. Dont embarrass yourself further

10 minutes ago, chittimallu2 said:

Its a generation and clutural thing... sports are nit very big in India bar cricket... moreover highly physical sports are not something indians can excel at due to various reasons. Basketball, baseball and football are all bigger in other asian countries compared to India. So yeah it has nothing to do with the ego of desi parents that you talk about

If that were to be true then we would see atleast a handful of Indian American kids that would excel at some of the popular American sports in say the next 2-3 generations, wouldn't you agree? 

My bet however is that we will see close to ZERO Indian American kids being popular at a major American sport. Come and pick up the topic then. 

They became big also because they tried to excel in those sports, unlike our people claiming that we aren't genetically or physically suited to excelling in those above mentioned sports. Same goes for the Olympics as well, we have a convenient excuse throwing around "oh we don't have the genetics" card while these nations don't hide behind that excuse and put effort into excelling at sports which they haven't had a lot of history succeeding at. 

what?? India lo aa aatalu enduku popular kaavu annadhi a topic for another day, dont mix too many things. I said that thrice already in this thread, you look too confused. Stick to american indian kids and "desi ego" you talk of. 

Just now, chittimallu2 said:

I dont want to prolong more... but you are mixing many things up... Yao Ming was not from USA (since we are talking about american indians) so it has nothing to compare with spelling bee. Spelling Bee is not popular in India and no one prepares for it there. Also like I said Indians are generations late to enter into the US so its not correct to compare the case of Jeremy Lin too, how many asian americans did you see in NBA in the 90s? They are just catching up now and Indians are further late to enter the US so may be in the future generations.....

You have no valid argument so you just take a jibe at spelling bee and call the ones exercising it as bots. Dont embarrass yourself further

That's where you make assumptions that suit your convenience. Where did I mention that Yao Ming was from the USA? I just mentioned him because that's an example of someone making a sport very popular back where he is from(in this case China). All it took was one star athlete that played for a major US basketball league to make Chinese sit and take notice that they can excel at Basketball too. I also mentioned Jeremy Lin to prove my point, that popularity has rubbed onto the Chinese American kids making a star out of Jeremy lin. I bet there would be more coming, as for desi kids catching up onto this I don't see that happening. Time will tell, but I can bet a $100 that we will never see an Indian American sportsman as popular as any of the examples mentioned above even in the next 50 years. 

I am not embarrassing myself any further than someone like you trying to prove a non existent point is, just because as I mentioned it placates your ego. 

14 minutes ago, chittimallu2 said:

true, I made my point and Im out of here...  

tennisluvr has a knack of not missing any opportunity to talk bad about "desi" mentality, which is also a typical desi mentality... ee vishayam epudu thelusukuntado papam  @3$%

No I make observations, some of which might hurt people that don't understand the cultural nuances of living in a nation that's not exactly suited to someone "typical" of his nature. 

If you happen to be one of them, that's good to know. I am just waiting for you to start throwing personal insults now since that's something I guess someone as "typical" as you are might be very capable of. @3$%

24 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

If attending spelling bees and preparing for them is all the kid wants, sure that's his/her comfort level. However, the majority of these kids are forced to participate in these and the parents force these onto their kids as a prestige issue. 

Just like how the car you drive, the house you live becomes a matter of prestige for our folks for the most part bragging about whether their kids have attended spelling bees has become the same. 

i agree with you on desi parents mentality .. kids under 10yrs dont have the maturity to make decisions on their own and what they want to do so need guidance .wt if your kid wants (no offence) to be a something else bcz at that age they think its pretty cool but for you it means WTH are you talking about will you let him/her excel ?

i agree kids are forced into it to be more studious not only to brag but to have a good career and life. if parents would not guide them 1/2 of them would be college drop outs and if you think all of them would startup up a company it is 1 or 2 out of 100000 or which might never happen too.

I'm sorry will not agree with you point bro .. my 2 cents 

If that were to be true then we would see atleast a handful of Indian American kids that would excel at some of the popular American sports in say the next 2-3 generations, wouldn't you agree? 

My bet however is that we will see close to ZERO Indian American kids being popular at a major American sport. Come and pick up the topic then. 

I said this already in this same thread... 

Just an FYI, satnam singh is a part of mavs team, even though he didnt play, thats a start. A couple of baseball pitchers were from India few years ago, a sport no one gives a toss about in India, thats another start too. 

aapandi naa L. Naaku thelisina okka desi poradu or pilla kuda spelling bee ki poledu at any level. Most of them I know are in to tennis,basketball and soccer at school level and once they hit college anni marchipoi G mooskoni saduvkuntaru. Nothing generic and depends on parents interest first to join and then kids interest to continue.

2 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

No I make observations, some of which might hurt people that don't understand the cultural nuances of living in a nation that's not exactly suited to someone "typical" of his nature. 

If you happen to be one of them, that's good to know. I am just waiting for you to start throwing personal insults now since that's something I guess someone as "typical" as you are might be very capable of. @3$%

I dont know if im typical to that or not and to be honest I dont even care if im one, all Im doing here is laughing at how you throw your toys out of the pram and just putting you in your place :) 

Just now, libraguy863 said:

i agree with you on desi parents mentality .. kids under 10yrs dont have the maturity to make decisions on their own and what they want to do so need guidance .wt if your kid wants (no offence) to be a something else bcz at that age they think its pretty cool but for you it means WTH are you talking about will you let him/her excel ?

i agree kids are forced into it to be more studious not only to brag but to have a good career and life. if parents would not guide them 1/2 of them would be college drop outs and if you think all of them would startup up a company it is 1 or 2 out of 100000 or which might never happen too.

I'm sorry will not agree with you point bro .. my 2 cents 

Our mentality is going to be vastly different from the mentality of kids that would grow up here dude. We grew up in a nation like India at a time when it was still considered a very poor nation with very limited opportunities. Mana parents manaki cheppevaru arey chaduvukoka pothey adukku tintavu ani, that's not the same case with the kids here man. That's what our desi parents fail to understand. Just because your kid doesn't excel at maths or science doesn't mean he's a loser who can't be good at anything else. 

There's nothing wrong with making the kids more studious and encouraging them to have a good career, but then it's also more important to make sure that your kids are well rounded in other aspects as well. Something that's look at positively in the Western culture which is why when you apply to a school like MIT or Stanford it's not just your academics that are taken into consideration, they also look at your volunteering record, what sort of leadership roles you have taken etc. Things that are completely alien to us and our culture. But then since our kids are growing up here don't you think there needs to be better cultural sensitivity on the part of those desi parents instead of just blindly sticking to an outdated formula that might have worked in the poor nation they grow up in. 

1 minute ago, littlestar said:

aapandi naa L. Naaku thelisina okka desi poradu or pilla kuda spelling bee ki poledu at any level. Most of them I know are in to tennis,basketball and soccer at school level and once they hit college anni marchipoi G mooskoni saduvkuntaru. Nothing generic and depends on parents interest first to join and then kids interest to continue.

oh no, but tennisluvr says desis are full of ego and thats the reason we see so many indians in spelling bee, how can he sleep peacefully now :(