Shocking , Spelling BEE in ESPN 99% ABCD

iddaritho

8 minutes ago, Suhaas said:

Ok. Let me be the Judge. 

There is a point in both sides of the Argument. 

@tennisluvr : Desi parents have to encourage their kids to do something other than Spelling Bee and break the stereo type

@chittimallu2 : There is nothing wrong in getting the kids into spelling bee. 

There is no logical way to prove one is better than the other. 

Agree to disagree and move on.  

most of the parents i see around are taking kids to various activities and giving them options to choose what they like...spelling bee maths etc are in our blood i guess, most of our kids are smarter than their fellow classmates at school since we take more  care on our kids even at home when it comes to studies ( Can you complain on that? )

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tennisluvr

• chittimallu2

• Srimantudu

• Suhaas

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, libraguy863 said:

chinna age lo they need guidance to start with something or else they watch TV and play videogames but once in college and mature enough they can do wt ever they want. i see you keep on saying poor nation not sure wt you trying to prove here.

Proving how the mindset of parents might be different when their kids grow up in a poor nation vs when they grow up in a developed nation. 

Let me elaborate, when I was growing up in India I was very interested in playing table tennis and I used to be very good at it. However, could i have made it to the Olympics by sticking to that. Maybe but the chances are that I mostly wouldn't. Would that also help me win a scholarship to attend college in India? Very unlikely since no one cares much about your sporting abilities at the school level when you attend an Engineering college. 

Now cut to the US, let's say your kid is interested in playing soccer. He can avail all the facilities he has to play soccer and play at the highest level in the US which is the MLS level. He can also win a scholarship to attend the university of his choice based upon how good he is at his sport, apart from his SAT scores and academics. So he can go to a top college on a soccer scholarship, graduate let's say in a field like Biomedical Engineering and even go into research all of which are absolutely possible and happen quite commonly in US. So you can encourage your kid to excel in sports knowing that it doesn't necessarily mean he's not going to be good at his academics later on in his career. 

Such a thing is not possible in a poor, under developed nation like India so our mindset is going to be different in the sense that academics is something you would need to survive and even have basic resources(roti, kapda aur makaan) taken care of. People that grow up in the US wouldn't have worry about such basic necessities. 

2 minutes ago, Srimantudu said:

most of the parents i see around are taking kids to various activities and giving them options to choose what they like...spelling bee maths etc are in our blood i guess, most of our kids are smarter than their fellow classmates at school since we take more  care on our kids even at home when it comes to studies ( Can you complain on that? )

Sometimes that can be perceived as pushing bro. 

1 minute ago, Suhaas said:

It is INDEED pushing. Ever wondered why most second generation Indian American kids are so "confused"(I hate using the ABCD word so I am sticking to this). 

It's because they don't necessarily like the hand holding that most Indian parents do. 

Just now, Suhaas said:

i consider that as helping...pushing ante cheyamani force cheyadam...

valaki explain cheyadam pushing ela avthadi.. if we are good at something and we teach our kids..

Just now, Srimantudu said:

i consider that as helping...pushing ante cheyamani force cheyadam...

valaki explain cheyadam pushing ela avthadi.. if we are good at something and we teach our kids..

Have you personally corresponded or seen a lot of second generation Indian American kids? Just asking. 

Just now, tennisluvr said:

It is INDEED pushing. Ever wondered why most second generation Indian American kids are so "confused"(I hate using the ABCD word so I am sticking to this). 

It's because they don't necessarily like the hand holding that most Indian parents do. 

babu nuvu ye generation lo unnav?? PUSHING PUSHING ani patukunav ..

Have you personally corresponded or seen a lot of second generation Indian American kids? Just asking. 

I see many around...

2 minutes ago, Srimantudu said:

babu nuvu ye generation lo unnav?? PUSHING PUSHING ani patukunav ..

Because most desi parents do indeed still PUSH their kids to do things that they may not necessarily be very interested in. 

Anduke some of those kids end up hating the Indian culture, because they associate that pushiness with the Indian culture. 

3 minutes ago, Srimantudu said:

I see many around...

I didn't ask if you see or didn't see many around. I asked if you personally corresponded with them at a personal level. 

ukondi vaa

Laddu lodi em vasdi eeda discuss cheste

ayyedi avvaka manadu
jarigedi jaragaka manadu

meeru eeda gola chesinanth matrama em kaadu.....inka ukondi

I didn't ask if you see or didn't see many around. I asked if you personally corresponded with them at a personal level. 

babu ..i see around ante..just not seeing i will talk to them as a friend or a family member ani..edo park lo poyi chusi cheptuna anukuntunavemo