20 year old Ostapenko first Latvian to win a Grand Slam final

tennisluvr

who is this Simona Halep, btw? suddenly everyone was raving about her.

Don't make me feel bad as if I'm missing something awesome, and when I catch hold of these games, I can't help but doze off.

somebody should teach these ladies that there are shots other than flat batted drives in tennis.

God, I miss Mauresmo, and Henin.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tennisluvr

• lazybugger

• 4Vikram

• Mustachio

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, lazybugger said:

Does this woman have a single handed backhand?

Does she hit the ball cleaner than Samantha Stosur?

women's tennis is a joke. and that's coming from a feminist, Me. (Not that it matters, but standards of discussion in this db is pretty abysmal, so I have to throw that in too)

1) No she's not someone that hits a backhand like Henin but has an amazing double handed backhand and can hit it down the line or cross court at will. 

2) Yes she definitely hit it cleaner than Sam Stosur, atleast in this game and mostly throughout this tournament. 

Women's tennis so far has been a joke, but Jelena might change all that. Atleast I hope so, although to expect change out of one 20 year old player is just too much to ask for. 

By the way, it was fascinating to watch Andy Murray hold off Wawrinka yesterday. Anybody else would have lost in straights.

The fifth set implosion is to be expected. Murray had thrown it all, and came up short.

Don't think anyone can beat Wawa at his best.

Just now, lazybugger said:

who is this Simona Halep, btw? suddenly everyone was raving about her.

Don't make me feel bad as if I'm missing something awesome, and when I catch hold of these games, I can't help but doze off.

somebody should teach these ladies that there are shots other than flat batted drives in tennis.

God, I miss Mauresmo, and Henin.

Simona Halep is a romanian player, she's a very consistent player on the tour and has won a lot of Master's titles although not a GS so far. She's a player in the defensive mould and plays mostly a defensive form of tennis, although she can be aggressive at times by creating sharp angles and clever returns. She's been in the top 5 consistently over the past 6 years or so, so she's a force to reckon with on the WTA. 

That said, she doesn't have a kill zone in her tennis and that might impact her results at the GS tournaments. And if you had actually watched this game, you would have known that the tennis that was being out was anything but flat batted drives. But I am sure you haven't watched this game, a game that offered a contrast in the styles of an aggressive Ostapenko and a defensive yet steady Simona. 

Funny it seems that, even Murray for all his 'brain', fed Wawa short balls for pretty much the whole match.

The way to beat Wawa is to hit top spinners deep into the court.

I think Nadal will do that tomorrow.

but I hope he doesn't. obviously.

By the way, it was fascinating to watch Andy Murray hold off Wawrinka yesterday. Anybody else would have lost in straights.

The fifth set implosion is to be expected. Murray had thrown it all, and came up short.

Don't think anyone can beat Wawa at his best.

Yes I was very impressed at the way Murray fought back esp in the 3rd set when Wawa seemed to be cruising and was at his imperious best. 

Can't blame Murray, he came across someone even the best of all time can't handle at his best. I was impressed with the way Murray however stretched it to the max on his worst surface, and in general with his performance this clay court season. If he can take some confidence from this and take it to Wimbledon, there's a good chance he will lift the Wimbledon. Barring Roger, no one has the game to beat Murray right now(and I am counting Djokovic as well into that mix). 

1 minute ago, tennisluvr said:

Simona Halep is a romanian player, she's a very consistent player on the tour and has won a lot of Master's titles although not a GS so far. She's a player in the defensive mould and plays mostly a defensive form of tennis, although she can be aggressive at times by creating sharp angles and clever returns. She's been in the top 5 consistently over the past 6 years or so, so she's a force to reckon with on the WTA. 

That said, she doesn't have a kill zone in her tennis and that might impact her results at the GS tournaments. And if you had actually watched this game, you would have known that the tennis that was being out was anything but flat batted drives. But I am sure you haven't watched this game, a game that offered a contrast in the styles of an aggressive Ostapenko and a defensive yet steady Simona. 

I stopped watching after Henin, and Mauresmo.

I also did watch for one beautiful woman, Chakvetadze. Not for her tennis, though.

Funny it seems that, even Murray for all his 'brain', fed Wawa short balls for pretty much the whole match.

The way to beat Wawa is to hit top spinners deep into the court.

I think Nadal will do that tomorrow.

but I hope he doesn't. obviously.

Nadal will definitely do that. But the thing is Wawa will still go for the winners so it's going to a much riskier tennis with less percentage for success, but only he can pull it off if anyone can. 

I stopped watching after Henin, and Mauresmo.

I also did watch for one beautiful woman, Chakvetadze. Not for her tennis, though.

Yes I know what you mean. I stopped for a long time as well after Henin retired back in 2008, however I expected Ana Ivanovic to have a better career and yes I would def watch her game for her looks. 

I remember Anna Chakvetadze as well, Sania Mirza partnered up with her for a while in the doubles. 

2 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

Yes I was very impressed at the way Murray fought back esp in the 3rd set when Wawa seemed to be cruising and was at his imperious best. 

Can't blame Murray, he came across someone even the best of all time can't handle at his best. I was impressed with the way Murray however stretched it to the max on his worst surface, and in general with his performance this clay court season. If he can take some confidence from this and take it to Wimbledon, there's a good chance he will lift the Wimbledon. Barring Roger, no one has the game to beat Murray right now(and I am counting Djokovic as well into that mix). 

Wawrinka was playing as if it was a hard court. It won't be easy for Nadal tomorrow, if he plays the defensive game.

Wawrinka was playing as if it was a hard court. It won't be easy for Nadal tomorrow, if he plays the defensive game.

Yes Nadal can't expect to just hit loopy forehands to Wawa's backhand and hope he makes unforced errors. But that said Nadal is less tired definitely going into the finals, so he might try that tactic atleast initially. Depending on how Wawa responds I am sure Nadal might start playing a bit more aggressively. 

Tomorrow's first 2 sets should decide who will go on to lift the trophy. 

2 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

Nadal will definitely do that. But the thing is Wawa will still go for the winners so it's going to a much riskier tennis with less percentage for success, but only he can pull it off if anyone can. 

No. Not even god mode Wawa can hit winners off deep top spinners. But its almost impossible to pull those top spinners off. 

If anyone can do it, it's Nadal.

ofcourse, I hope he doesn't. I like Nadal. But I prefer Federer to keep his GS record.

wait scratch that. I hate Nadal. But he seems such a lovely guy. I must be an asshole.

I turned off the TV when Halep won first set and she was leading second set with 3 games. What a comeback from Jelena Unbelievable Future Champion for sure I guess..

4 hours ago, tennisluvr said:

Choosava mayya final. Aa hitting enti vayya, never seen anyone hit the ball so clean since Justine Henin. 

Justin Henin backhand shots mundhuu WTA lo andharuu aathcare aeee.

P.S : I'm speaking from my early 2000's tennis knowledge. Haven't watched Steffi, Monica Seles.

No. Not even god mode Wawa can hit winners off deep top spinners. But its almost impossible to pull those top spinners off. 

If anyone can do it, it's Nadal.

ofcourse, I hope he doesn't. I like Nadal. But I prefer Federer to keep his GS record.

wait scratch that. I hate Nadal. But he seems such a lovely guy. I must be an asshole.

Yes to pull those top spinners off Nadal needs to play a much less percentage tennis. With a 10th GS title at the French Open at stake and a chance to get closer to Roger's 18, this is perhaps the only time Nadal will go for that, if he ever will. 

And only he can pull that off on the clay.