• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tennisluvr

• lazybugger

• 4Vikram

• Mustachio

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, sanbk said:

I turned off the TV when Halep won first set and she was leading second set with 3 games. What a comeback from Jelena Unbelievable Future Champion for sure I guess..

She has the potential and temperament obviously. Hope she won't go on to become a bittch like Sharapova. 

1 minute ago, Mustachio said:

Justin Henin backhand shots mundhuu WTA lo andharuu aathcare aeee.

P.S : I'm speaking from my early 2000's tennis knowledge. Haven't watched Steffi, Monica Seles.

Yes Justine Henin had one of the best backhands of all time on the tour, both men's and women's tennis included. Very few women are willing to risk a single handed backhand these days, Justine Henin is a rare jewel. 

2 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

Yes Nadal can't expect to just hit loopy forehands to Wawa's backhand and hope he makes unforced errors. But that said Nadal is less tired definitely going into the finals, so he might try that tactic atleast initially. Depending on how Wawa responds I am sure Nadal might start playing a bit more aggressively. 

Tomorrow's first 2 sets should decide who will go on to lift the trophy. 

As crisp and deadly Wawa's backhand is, its still not a forehand. It needs time to set the shot. That's his only weakness. He can be put on the defensive. But it requires precise placement of those shots deep, pushing him a little back, and making him mistime some of his drives.

Even off forehands, I think the art of hitting the ball 'on the up' like Agassi, Haas used to do, seems to have basically disappeared from the tour.

1 minute ago, lazybugger said:

As crisp and deadly Wawa's backhand is, its still not a forehand. It needs time to set the shot. That's his only weakness. He can be put on the defensive. But it requires precise placement of those shots deep, pushing him a little back, and making him mistime some of his drives.

Even off forehands, I think the art of hitting the ball 'on the up' like Agassi, Haas used to do, seems to have basically disappeared from the tour.

Yes Haas used to take the ball early and could pull it off as well. James Blake at his best could also do that on the hard courts, but the reason most people don't use it on the tour is that it affects their shoulder a lot more by playing that way esp if you have a single handed backhand. Plus you have less control over the rising ball with a single handed backhand since you have to close your stance to hit a good return unlike the double handed backhand which can still be hit with an open stance. 

Tommy Haas had a career littered with injuries, not saying that might be the reason but it could be a contributing factor considering that a lot of his injuries were with the lower back and shoulder. 

10 minutes ago, lazybugger said:

I stopped watching after Henin, and Mauresmo.

I also did watch for one beautiful woman, Chakvetadze. Not for her tennis, though.

In terms of beauty Ana Ivanovic there know till last year. Appatloo Mary Pierce vaunty undee okaa range lo bounce avuthuu  undee.

1 minute ago, tennisluvr said:

Yes Haas used to take the ball early and could pull it off as well. James Blake at his best could also do that on the hard courts, but the reason most people don't use it on the tour is that it affects their shoulder a lot more by playing that way esp if you have a single handed backhand. 

Tommy Haas had a career littered with injuries, not saying that might be the reason but it could be a contributing factor considering that a lot of his injuries were with the lower back and shoulder. 

good comment man. ability to consistently take the ball early off a single handed backhand should probably count as the next evolution in mens tennis.

Agassi could do that, but he used two hands. plenty others in the early 2000s, none of them with a single handed backhand.

8 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

Yes to pull those top spinners off Nadal needs to play a much less percentage tennis. With a 10th GS title at the French Open at stake and a chance to get closer to Roger's 18, this is perhaps the only time Nadal will go for that, if he ever will. 

And only he can pull that off on the clay. 

I think Nadal has gotten off his defensive moonballing bullshit long back. He does play percentage tennis, but not as much as he used to, before 2009. I still can't forgive him for boring the heck out of me in his early days.

His much improved backhand is the reason for his turnaround. 

I think he'll give Wawa a run for his money tomorrow. and is probably the favourite. Unless God mode Wawa turns up. Then no force in the world can stop him from taking the crown.

Those singing Federer's praises in the mid 2000s are not quite so effusive in praise of Wawrinka. In my opinion, I haven't seen such a player in my days of watching tennis. Not even Federer can measure up to Wawa at his best. Its pure art, but with a punch.

4 minutes ago, lazybugger said:

good comment man. ability to consistently take the ball early off a single handed backhand should probably count as the next evolution in mens tennis.

Agassi could do that, but he used two hands. plenty others in the early 2000s, none of them with a single handed backhand.

Bro I tried playing that way myself, and can occasionally do it as well i.e., hit the ball on the rise. However I have a single handed backhand myself and I find it more and more difficult to do in a pressure situation esp if playing a game. I routinely hit against a ball machine and can hit those on the rise, but in a match situation I find myself making more mistakes by going for it and so tend to play it safer by letting it bounce. I guess a lot of single handers on the tour might be hampered by the same constraints. 

Not saying I am comparing myself to those on the tour, just saying that the stakes are higher going for a shot like that. I tried changing my backhand to a two handed one, but it's something I guess I have to be a natural at atleast to some extent, and it's going to take a significant investment on my part to get to a two handed backhand now. 

Just now, lazybugger said:

I think Nadal has gotten off his defensive moonballing bullshit long back. He does play percentage tennis, but not as much as he used to, before 2009. I still can't forgive him for boring the heck out of me in his early days.

His much improved backhand is the reason for his turnaround. 

I think he'll give Wawa a run for his money tomorrow. and is probably the favourite. Unless God mode Wawa turns up. Then no force in the world can stop him from taking the crown.

Those singing Federer's praises in the mid 2000s are not quite so effusive in praise of Wawrinka. In my opinion, I haven't seen such a player in my days of watching tennis. Not even Federer can measure up to Wawa at his best. Its pure art, but with a punch.

I have to agree with that a 100%. I have never seen someone go for broke and yet be able to cream those winners so aesthetically. I think Wawa is someone that would eventually get more appreciation once he's retired and gone, which I hope he won't anytime soon. But yes being in the shadow of Roger, people found it tough to accept him. 

I believe so that Nadal is the favorite going into the final tomorrow as well, but if anyone can beat him on clay there's no better man than Wawa. 

1 minute ago, tennisluvr said:

Bro I tried playing that way myself, and can occasionally do it as well i.e., hit the ball on the rise. However I have a single handed backhand myself and I find it more and more difficult to do in a pressure situation esp if playing a game. I routinely hit against a ball machine and can hit those on the rise, but in a match situation I find myself making more mistakes by going for it and so tend to play it safer by letting it bounce. I guess a lot of single handers on the tour might be hampered by the same constraints. 

Not saying I am comparing myself to those on the tour, just saying that the stakes are higher going for a shot like that. I tried changing my backhand to a two handed one, but it's something I guess I have to be a natural at atleast to some extent, and it's going to take a significant investment on my part to get to a two handed backhand now. 

I've been playing tennis too, for the past 15yrs now.

I meant, hitting an offensive shot, or atleast an ability to set up an offensive play off the backhand, while picking the ball up early is basically unseen in the tour.

I'm waiting for such a player.

1 minute ago, lazybugger said:

I've been playing tennis too, for the past 15yrs now.

I meant, hitting an offensive shot, or atleast an ability to set up an offensive play off the backhand, while picking the ball up early is basically unseen in the tour.

I'm waiting for such a player.

Yeah super human timing undali. Maybe a tennis bot can do that in the future. 

Just now, lazybugger said:

Thiem was such a disappointment. Especially after having watched Wawrinka's game just a few minutes ago.

Yeah he let the occasion get the better of him. I am sure he will learn, and get to be a better player. The talent is there, hope he will build the temperament as well. 

15 minutes ago, lazybugger said:

Mark Philipousis Federer's first GS final opponent was also very good at single handed backshots.

Aaptloo Ivan Ljubucic, Nikolay Davydenko, Marat Safin vellaaa serve powerful gaa undedhuu, but everyone remembers Roddick's serve. Feels like these three players lost their names in the histoty books. 

Safin gaduu aithee powerpacked tennis adedhii.