Inspirational story. Boy Who Made Samosas Cracks IIT

Android_Halwa

http://everylifecounts.ndtv.com/samosa-making-engineering-school-hyderabad-boys-quantum-leap-14194?pfrom=home-lateststories

Take a break fellas, Read this story. A yound kid worked all his way to IIT without any coaching ...working few hours a day, helping his family to make a living and studying alongside..and finished 64th All India rank and will be going ahead to study at IIT-Bombay.

AHyderabad, Andhra Pradesh: Till recently, 17-year-old Vabilisetti Mohan Abhyas helped his mother make spicy hot Irani samosas at their humble home in Hyderabad. His father would then go out and sell the samosas on the streets. Now Mohan Abhyas hopes to go to IIT Bombay, after having bagged the 64th rank in the all-India engineering entrance exam JEE. His aim: Becoming a scientist like his hero, former President APJ Abdul Kalam.

Abhyas managed to put in 10 hours of study every day. At his 2-room home in Kukatpally area of Hyderabad it wasn’t always possible, with his parents, grandmother and also sister being busy with the family activity of making savouries for sale. So he sought permission from his school and junior college to stay on after study hours, so he could focus on his books.

“I want to become a scientist in the future and help my parents settle down and make them happy,” says the young man, adding, “samosa making is difficult work. Why should we take that much pressure?”

The family’s annual income rarely goes beyond Rs 1 lakh. But Abhyas’s parents say for them, education is a priority. Father Subba Rao had dropped out of school after Class 11. His mother Surya Kala, her father-in-law says proudly, is a BA gold medalist in Telugu.From a small village in Bhimavaram, the family moved to Hyderabad 13 years ago, so they could give an education to their son and daughter.

Their perseverance has paid off. Abhyas came 6th in the mains – the exam that’s the gateway to the Advanced JEE, the final stage. His performance has ensured that he receives a place in one of the prestigious Indian Institutes of Technology.

Abhyas, though, confessed to a twinge of disappointment about his results. He expected a rank under 50, if not under 20. “Initially, I was a bit disappointed, but now I feel satisfied with my performance,” he said.

He has also topped the Andhra Pradesh Engineering Agricultural and Medical Common Entrance Test and came fifth in the state’s common entrance test for engineering and Medical courses.

Surya Kala says she allowed her son to make his choices. “I used to tell him not to study too hard. I never said you must achieve,” she said.

Abhyas has made his choice.  “I want to become a scientist, join IIT Bombay and I want to make my parents happy,” he said.