Virginia Shooting suspect dies of injuries....

Quickgun_murugan

A gunman has died after opening fire earlier this morning on members of Congress practicing for a charity baseball game in Alexandria, Virginia, injuring Rep. Steve Scalise, R-Lousiana, a lobbyist, a congressional staffer and two Capitol Police officers.

The suspect died from his injuries sustained in the shooting, President Donald Trump said in his remarks this morning.

Scalise's office said he was shot in the hip and underwent surgery. Scalise, the House majority whip, is listed in stable condition, his office said.

"Prior to entering surgery, the Whip was in good spirits and spoke to his wife by phone," his office said in a statement. "He is grateful for the brave actions of U.S. Capitol Police, first responders, and colleagues. We ask that you keep the Whip and others harmed in this incident in your thoughts and prayers."

Multiple law enforcement sources identified the suspected shooter as 66-year-old James Hodgkinson of Belleville, Illinois. His wife told ABC News he has been living in Alexandria, Virginia, for the past two months, but had not been working and was expected to return to Illinois in the coming days.

PHOTO: James Hodgkins of Belleville, Ill., is pictured in an undated booking photo from the St. Clair County Sheriffs Department.St. Clair County Sheriff
James Hodgkins of Belleville, Ill., is pictured in an undated booking photo from the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department.

The shooting took place around 7 a.m. in Alexandria's Del Ray neighborhood, about seven miles away from the White House in Washington, D.C., where a number of lawmakers were practicing for the annual charity congressional baseball game set for Thursday. Only Republicans were at this practice; Democrats practiced earlier in the morning.

Zack Barth, a legislative correspondent working for Texas Rep. Roger Williams, was among those shot, according to a statement from Williams. Barth is receiving medical attention and is expected to make a full recovery, Williams said.

Williams' office said the Republican baseball team holds practice every morning at 6:30 a.m. ET at Eugene Simpson Stadium Park and that Williams is the team's coach.

PHOTO: Rep. Roger Williams is wheeled away by emergency medical service personnel from the Eugene Simpson Stadium Park June 14, 2017 in Alexandria, Va., following a shooting at the park.Alex Wong/Getty Images
Rep. Roger Williams is wheeled away by emergency medical service personnel from the Eugene Simpson Stadium Park June 14, 2017 in Alexandria, Va., following a shooting at the park. more +

Matt Mika, who works as a lobbyist for Tyson Foods, was also injured. A Tyson Foods spokesperson said in a statement that Mika, director of government relations for its Washington, D.C., office, was hospitalized, adding, "We’re awaiting word on his condition. Matt has worked for Tyson Foods for more than six years and we’re deeply concerned about him and his family."

Mika previously worked for Rep. Tim Walberg, R-Michigan, and remains "a close friend" of his, according to a statement from Walberg.

"As a former baseball player, he was volunteering at this morning’s practice to help the congressional team get ready for the game," Walberg said in a statement. "This is deeply personal and Sue and I are praying for Matt as he receives medical attention.

The two Capitol Police officers who were injured have been identified as David Bailey and Krystal Griner, according to House Speaker Paul Ryan.

"I spoke with special agent Bailey and special agent Greiner this morning. One was being treated and one was about to go into surgery," Ryan said. "It is clear to me based on various eyewitness accounts that without these two heroes, Agent Bailey and Agent Griner, many lives would have been lost."

Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Alabama, told CNN, "I was on deck about to hit batting practice on the third base side and I hear, 'Bam.' And I look around and behind third base ... I see a rifle. and I see a little bit of a body.

“At the same time I hear Steve Scalise over near second base scream," Brooks added. "He was shot."