Thank you Chittmallu.

lazybugger

@chittimallu2

I did read extensively on Catalans (but purely as political and economic history) in the past few weeks. The society that formed in the region of Catalonia, Aragon, and Luzia in 1936-39, is now my ideal society.

A society without a govt., without money, without any sort of hierarchy, without laws, and with just free exchange of goods and services.

ofcourse it didn't last long, because it was attacked on the one side by Fascist Franco, the other side supported by communist soviet, and another one by liberal democrats. The society itself disintegrated because the members lost the will to fight and shifted sides, and were dead by the time Franco won the civil war. The civil war itself happened between Franco and the communists, and this 3rd party anarchists were a front for the communists for a while, and went their own way to fight both communists and Franco, and were obliterated.

You were right in saying that Catalans profess hatred towards mainstream Spain because of the way the region was treated after the civil war ended, but the society that formed in Catalonia to fight Franco had already withered away by then, and what remained was just reactionary regionalism. 

even if the current Barcelona doesn't believe in the then impressive anarchist labour controlled society, the Catalonian story is still fcuking inspiring. and a definite blueprint for similar states in the future.

I'm ashamed that as a self professed anarchist for the past 8 yrs, ever since I outgrew Ayn Rand's bullshit, I wasn't aware of one of the most successful anarchist commune until you pointed it out, as part of a totally different conversation. So I should thank you.

This is what George Orwell (the guy who wrote anti communist/fascist 1984) wrote on Catalonia in 1936.

http://www.george-orwell.org/homage_to_catalonia/0.html

his was in late December 1936, less than seven months ago as I write, and 
yet it is a period that has already receded into enormous distance.

I had come to Spain with some notion of writing newspaper 
articles, but I had joined the militia almost immediately, because at that time 
and in that atmosphere it seemed the only conceivable thing to do. The 
Anarchists were still in virtual control of Catalonia and the revolution was 
still in full swing.

It was the first time that I had ever been 
in a town where the working class was in the saddle. Practically every building 
of any size had been seized by the workers and was draped with red flags or with 
the red and black flag of the Anarchists; every wall was scrawled with the 
hammer and sickle and with the initials of the revolutionary parties; almost 
every church had been gutted and its images burnt. Churches here and there were 
being systematically demolished by gangs of workmen. Every shop and cafe had an 
inscription saying that it had been collectivized; even the bootblacks had been 
collectivized and their boxes painted red and black. Waiters and shop-walkers 
looked you in the face and treated you as an equal. Servile and even ceremonial 
forms of speech had temporarily disappeared. Nobody said 'Senior' or 'Don' or 
even 'Usted'; everyone called everyone else 'Comrade' and 'Thou', and said 
'Salud!' instead of 'Buenos dias'.

There were no private motor-cars, they had all been commandeered, and 
all the trams and taxis and much of the other transport were painted red and 
black.

In outward appearance it was a town 
in which the wealthy classes had practically ceased to exist. Except for a small 
number of women and foreigners there were no 'well-dressed' people at all. 
Practically everyone wore rough working-class clothes, or blue overalls, or some 
variant of the militia uniform. All this was queer and moving. There was much in 
it that I did not understand, in some ways I did not even like it, but I 
recognized it immediately as a state of affairs worth fighting for.

Also I 
believed that things were as they appeared, that this was really a workers' 
State and that the entire bourgeoisie had either fled, been killed, or 
voluntarily come over to the workers' side; I did not realize that great numbers 
of well-to-do bourgeois were simply lying low and disguising themselves as 
proletarians for the time being. 

Contrast this with the almost fascist response by Tamils to racism in Srilanka, Tamils do fall a bit in my opinion.

But who am I to judge. I din't face that racism. only heard about it through people who lived it.

6 hours ago, lazybugger said:

@chittimallu2

I did read extensively on Catalans (but purely as political and economic history) in the past few weeks. The society that formed in the region of Catalonia, Aragon, and Luzia in 1936-39, is now my ideal society.

A society without a govt., without money, without any sort of hierarchy, without laws, and with just free exchange of goods and services.

ofcourse it didn't last long, because it was attacked on the one side by Fascist Franco, the other side supported by communist soviet, and another one by liberal democrats. The society itself disintegrated because the members lost the will to fight and shifted sides, and were dead by the time Franco won the civil war. The civil war itself happened between Franco and the communists, and this 3rd party anarchists were a front for the communists for a while, and went their own way to fight both communists and Franco, and were obliterated.

You were right in saying that Catalans profess hatred towards mainstream Spain because of the way the region was treated after the civil war ended, but the society that formed in Catalonia to fight Franco had already withered away by then, and what remained was just reactionary regionalism. 

even if the current Barcelona doesn't believe in the then impressive anarchist labour controlled society, the Catalonian story is still fcuking inspiring. and a definite blueprint for similar states in the future.

I'm ashamed that as a self professed anarchist for the past 8 yrs, ever since I outgrew Ayn Rand's bullshit, I wasn't aware of one of the most successful anarchist commune until you pointed it out, as part of a totally different conversation. So I should thank you.

I've been to barcelona and stayed there for 4 days. You see a catalan flag almost every single corner of the city and most of their houses. I dont know if they will ever break away from spain to become their own but they do have a strong passion for their own language, culture and identity. FC Barcelona is one way they can express that strong feeling they have towards catalonia. Talking in football terms, the catalonians were suppressed by the spanish royal authorities in the past but dont think thats the case now, however you wont see a catalan person wearing the captain arm band when spain plays international tournaments no matter how good/great that player may be. Only a non catalan player will be made spanish captain.

Also one more thing read about the Basque country, they are also an autonomous country which were suppressed by the dictator in the past. Once again in footballing matters, without basque country there is no past for spanish football because the majority of the great players for spain were from that region and without catalonia there is no recent success for spain, the world cup and two euros were are all due to the barcelona academy.