Thank you Chittmallu.

lazybugger

2 hours ago, chittimallu2 said:

I've been to barcelona and stayed there for 4 days. You see a catalan flag almost every single corner of the city and most of their houses. I dont know if they will ever break away from spain to become their own but they do have a strong passion for their own language, culture and identity. FC Barcelona is one way they can express that strong feeling they have towards catalonia. Talking in football terms, the catalonians were suppressed by the spanish royal authorities in the past but dont think thats the case now, however you wont see a catalan person wearing the captain arm band when spain plays international tournaments no matter how good/great that player may be. Only a non catalan player will be made spanish captain.

Also one more thing read about the Basque country, they are also an autonomous country which were suppressed by the dictator in the past. Once again in footballing matters, without basque country there is no past for spanish football because the majority of the great players for spain were from that region and without catalonia there is no recent success for spain, the world cup and two euros were are all due to the barcelona academy.

Also let me know once you read more about Basque, we can discuss further. 

4 minutes ago, chittimallu2 said:

Also let me know once you read more about Basque, we can discuss further. 

The history I read about Catalonia includes the Basque region, because it was read through the description of the Spanish Civil war that preceded the world war 2. The commune I was gushing about included this region too, and in fact from all recent accounts of Basque, it seems the spirit of decentralized structures that created the labour commune in 1936, is still alive and kicking in Basque, much more than in Catalonia. 

But it was Basque that betrayed the coalition with Catalonia by surrendering to Mussolini, as soon as the communists withdrew their support to the coalition. and thats how both basque and catalonian regions were taken over by the spanish nationalist party.

I'm definitely visiting Spain this year. I've been to Madrid earlier, but I didn't care to be curious to check local history out . This time, it'll be tour that'll enjoy with this newly acquired knowledge. 

1 minute ago, lazybugger said:

The history I read about Catalonia includes the Basque region, because it was read through the description of the Spanish Civil war that preceded the world war 2. The commune I was gushing about included this region too, and in fact from all recent accounts of Basque, it seems the spirit of decentralized structures that created the labour commune in 1936, is still alive and kicking in Basque, much more than in Catalonia. 

But it was Basque that betrayed the coalition with Catalonia by surrendering to Mussolini, as soon as the communists withdrew their support to the coalition. and thats how both basque and catalonian regions were taken over by the spanish nationalist party.

I'm definitely visiting Spain this year. I've been to Madrid earlier, but I didn't care to be curious to check local history out . This time, it'll be tour that'll enjoy with this newly acquired knowledge. 

Interesting... naku adi thelidu about the betrayal. I mean I never tried to dig so deep into their history because most of my knowledge is based on football and things that revolved around it. So dhani valla I read some and learnt a bit about the suppression of both Basque and Catalonia. One thing I know for sure is both Catalonia and Basque people and their culture were degraded and treated as secondary by the dictactor... you cant even register some of the names (catalonian) in spain for your kids.

Madrid is a good city, lots of history and culture and Barcelona is more forward, sunny and beautiful beaches. Hit me up if you need any suggestions on where to stay, where to eat, etc. I have been to Valencia and Ibiza too

4 minutes ago, chittimallu2 said:

Interesting... naku adi thelidu about the betrayal. I mean I never tried to dig so deep into their history because most of my knowledge is based on football and things that revolved around it. So dhani valla I read some and learnt a bit about the suppression of both Basque and Catalonia. One thing I know for sure is both Catalonia and Basque people and their culture were degraded and treated as secondary by the dictactor... you cant even register some of the names (catalonian) in spain for your kids.

Madrid is a good city, lots of history and culture and Barcelona is more forward, sunny and beautiful beaches. Hit me up if you need any suggestions on where to stay, where to eat, etc. I have been to Valencia and Ibiza too

If you don't mind me expanding on the 'suppression of Basque and Catalonia', it's not suppression as we traditionally understand it. Not atleast during the period I'm talking about. Because there were several other periods where expressions of Basque and Catalonian nationalism were suppressed. 

Basque, especially was always at odds with Spain, given their unique history. Spain was then governed by a communist republic party, which is actually like current democrats in the US. The suppression was initially economic suppression. Like denial of trade routes to Turkey (which was one of the largest trading partners at that time).

To declare themselves as autonomous regions, the workers in the region (Basq+Cat) organized themselves and overthrew the owners, and started controlling factories, taking over control of trade routes. Its interesting how they did it. The thing is, this pissed off everyone. from the current Spanish govt, to the rising fascist opponent Franco, and even the liberal democrats in France. Everybody banded together to crush them. through deceit, by offering Basque nationalist party immunity, which was later denied, and also because the resistance lost its zeal, after 3yrs.

Ofcourse, I'm going to travel to Barcelona, Valencia, etc. I'll talk about it when I do that. I think ATP tour finals at Milan would be the right time to visit Spain. Its in November, I think.

25 minutes ago, chittimallu2 said:

I would love to talk about how this manifests in football, but given I can hardly name 5 players in spanish teams, it'll be laboured, and without the context you can give it.

1 minute ago, lazybugger said:

I would love to talk about how this manifests in football, but given I can hardly name 5 players in spanish teams, it'll be laboured, and without the context you can give it.

I mean they can show only so much on the pitch and related to this sport. The spanish govt tried to ban the catalan flags last year in the stadiums but the barcelona fans didnt stop waving them or bringing them inside. There are some players in FCB that are hardcore catalans and they try to take a dig at the spanish govt and the spanish football association in general for many things that happens within the league. There are many conspiracies even today that the royal govt backs real madrid team and tries to influence the outcome of the game by helping them through referees. I mean nenu correct ga cheppalenu because bad decisions do happen in a sport and they happen a lot more in football than any other sport due to lack of technology and dependency on humans. This year real madrid won the domestic league which they won only twice in the last 10 years and that is an alarming rate for them. There were several decisions that went in their favour this season and  many argue that did help them win the league and that is partially true because their next rival in the league are only 3 points away from them. In the past, franco did meddle with the teams and did help the real madrid club with his influence and that is one of the reasons for them to be the most successful club both domestically and internationally.

You should also try to read about Johan Cruyff, who is a dutch player and is considered as a cult hero catalonia, he is a fcuking rebel and revolutionised everything associated with FC Barcelona and also named his son as Jordi which is a catalan name which was banned back then. He registered his son's name in netherlands and brought him back to spain. He rejected real madrid stating he wouldnt play for a facisct club and joined barcelona for a record transfer fee in the 70s. 

8 minutes ago, chittimallu2 said:

I mean they can show only so much on the pitch and related to this sport. The spanish govt tried to ban the catalan flags last year in the stadiums but the barcelona fans didnt stop waving them or bringing them inside. There are some players in FCB that are hardcore catalans and they try to take a dig at the spanish govt and the spanish football association in general for many things that happens within the league. There are many conspiracies even today that the royal govt backs real madrid team and tries to influence the outcome of the game by helping them through referees. I mean nenu correct ga cheppalenu because bad decisions do happen in a sport and they happen a lot more in football than any other sport due to lack of technology and dependency on humans. This year real madrid won the domestic league which they won only twice in the last 10 years and that is an alarming rate for them. There were several decisions that went in their favour this season and  many argue that did help them win the league and that is partially true because their next rival in the league are only 3 points away from them. In the past, franco did meddle with the teams and did help the real madrid club with his influence and that is one of the reasons for them to be the most successful club both domestically and internationally.

You should also try to read about Johan Cruyff, who is a dutch player and is considered as a cult hero catalonia, he is a fcuking rebel and revolutionised everything associated with FC Barcelona and also named his son as Jordi which is a catalan name which was banned back then. He registered his son's name in netherlands and brought him back to spain. He rejected real madrid stating he wouldnt play for a facisct club and joined barcelona for a record transfer fee in the 70s. 

I have so much to read, now that I have nothing to do. I'm dusting up on Indian history too, to find some gems that popular narratives have missed.

especially want to read up on rebellions against Delhi Sultanate, and Mughals, and their social structure, and why the rebellions were only successful for a short period.

I'll definitely check on Johan Cruyff's book.