World No.222 beats world No.8! 😲

DiscoKing

4 hours ago, Kool_SRG said:

Paes was good in singles till around mid-late 90s , later fell off....He even won over Sampras also once.

Yes but that win was in 1998 I believe at New Haven open. Paes has a great volley and a very good anticipation at the net but his overall fitness levels weren't suited to the singles game. That's why he was wise enough to concentrate on doubles and become a very good doubles player instead of remaining a journeyman in the singles tour. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lazybugger

• tennisluvr

• Kool_SRG

• nildesparandom

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, tennisluvr said:

Yes but that win was in 1998 I believe at New Haven open. Paes has a great volley and a very good anticipation at the net but his overall fitness levels weren't suited to the singles game. That's why he was wise enough to concentrate on doubles and become a very good doubles player instead of remaining a journeyman in the singles tour. 

Talking about Paes and Krishnan in the same league is insulting to Krishnan. The guy was consistently top 50, made 3 grand slam quarters, beat top players much more regularly. On the davis cup circuit, he rarely lost matches, and carried them to a final once. Fcuking final. 

The only thing is, both of them trained in Chennai, but then all notable Indian players train in Chennai.

btw, I've never seen either Paes or Krishnan play. Krishnan because I was too young, Paes because he's not worth it.

Somdev seemed to be good, but injury I guess.

1 hour ago, lazybugger said:

Talking about Paes and Krishnan in the same league is insulting to Krishnan. The guy was consistently top 50, made 3 grand slam quarters, beat top players much more regularly. On the davis cup circuit, he rarely lost matches, and carried them to a final once. Fcuking final. 

The only thing is, both of them trained in Chennai, but then all notable Indian players train in Chennai.

Who's making the comparison here except you? They didn't even play in the same generation so it's pointless to compare them. Added to that, Paes as I had mentioned earlier made himself a doubles player much earlier in his career so his singles career while not unworthy isn't anything spectacular to talk about here. 

1 hour ago, lazybugger said:

btw, I've never seen either Paes or Krishnan play. Krishnan because I was too young, Paes because he's not worth it.

Somdev seemed to be good, but injury I guess.

Totally disagree, can't comment about Krishnan as I myself haven't seen him play but Paes is outstanding to watch and has one of the best skills at the net. I have watched him a couple of times, and found his game thoroughly entertaining. Of course, if you don't enjoy watching doubles then you may not appreciate his game at the net. 

Somdev never had match fitness so barring a few wins here and there wasn't a major force on the ATP. Whatever happened to Yuki Bhambri btw? 

2 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

Who's making the comparison here except you? They didn't even play in the same generation so it's pointless to compare them. Added to that, Paes as I had mentioned earlier made himself a doubles player much earlier in his career so his singles career while not unworthy isn't anything spectacular to talk about here. 

Kool_SRG did. I was responding to him, even if I was quoting you. 

It should've been obvious, but then.

Krishnan is the last singles player of note. Paes is not, like you said. Krishnan's achievements on tour and davis cup are rather remarkable. One cannot compare players across generations, only if the comparison is done with players of the comparable rank or achievements. But Paes is nowhere near Krishnan, who made grand slam QFs thrice.

2 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

Totally disagree, can't comment about Krishnan as I myself haven't seen him play but Paes is outstanding to watch and has one of the best volley games at the net. I have watched him a couple of times, and never found a single member in the audience that carried an opinion that he was not worth it. Of course, if you don't enjoy watching doubles then you may not appreciate his game at the net. 

Somdev never had match fitness so barring a few wins here and there wasn't a major force on the ATP. Whatever happened to Yuki Bhambri btw? 

yeah. never cared about doubles.

10 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

Totally disagree, can't comment about Krishnan as I myself haven't seen him play but Paes is outstanding to watch and has one of the best skills at the net. I have watched him a couple of times, and found his game thoroughly entertaining. Of course, if you don't enjoy watching doubles then you may not appreciate his game at the net. 

Indian tennis is crap. Yuki Bhambri -- forgot about him.

6 hours ago, lazybugger said:

*=: