How I weaned myself off Ayn Rand.

lazybugger

I read this book within 2 months of reading Ayn Rand - The Conquest of bread by Kropotkin

I didn't appreciate it at that time. I reread it again 10yrs ago, because I wanted to pick flaws in it. The flaws I was able to notice were not conceptual.

They made more sense than Ayn Rand, who was useful only to stoke my ego, and to consider others as beneath me.

So I considered myself an anarchist, than an objectivist. I was sure that it was possible to be both. I was that stupid.

Then I started working in finance. Noticed the inordinate amount of time spent in silly politics, instead of adding value to a company. 

By this time I was convinced that capitalism is not an efficient system in many aspects. Although some features of capitalism can be adopted in other systems.

Then, some 4yrs back I read this book by Ursula Ke Leguin - The Dispossessed, that described a society full of geniuses with no money. It gave me a perspective on the issues that a completely free society (free of govt and money) has to grapple with. As pathetic as that society is, I prefer to live in that, than in the current society full of sheeps and morons, boasting about their new gadgets, and their lifestyles.

And recently a book on Spanish Civil War, where anarchist societies thrived for 3yrs. And lots of press reports on Kurdish struggle in Syria.

I'm now sold on the absolutely unattainable ideal of anarchism.

Fcuk Ayn Rand forever. I'm going to consider anyone who talks about her with respect, as pieces of sh1t, unworthy of my attention henceforth.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lazybugger

• tennisluvr

• kreole

• Mitron

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to create an anarchist society in Mars. Even if it means I have to kill a few assholes who land there and talk capitalism, to do that.

Ursula Ke Leguin is not the anti Ayn Rand. In fact she uses several of the same tropes that Rand uses. 

but she doesn't impose herself on her characters, doesn't create silly villains that the hero can easily brush off and claim moral victory, and doesn't sell her books claiming they are works of philosophy.

Ayn Rand is the most disgusting b1tch on the face of planet earth. lying two face scum.

Every school should have compulsory reading of Ayn Rand, and a session devoted to reviewing her trash.

The later you read Ayn Rand, the more fcuked you become.

btw, it took 20yrs to get rid of Ayn Rand rash.

I wish I paid more attention to things and people around me, and read more, than simply burying myself with work, and my ego.

I'm now rid of Rand. and free.

I'm now free to contribute to society in meaningful ways, than to just pat myself for being able to manipulate it.

Never read anything written by Ayn Rand. I however find Albert Camus's writing and thought process much more fluid than most others I have read from around the same time. 

Not sure if I should read Rand at all.