US lo PHD .. pros and cons.. like immigration, jobs, personal life

RangasthalamRasikudu

Just now, perugu_vada said:

My friend is a chemist, post doc chestunadu US lo since 5yrs, his pay is 54k/annum ;) chala tough ikada, gc osthe veru vishayam

GC vostundi if his research is worth it, but GC kosam PhD cheyatamu most foolish thing ever. 

Btw sorry I don't plan to do a PhD neither do I have one, TS mention chesadu kadaa we have to be one of the above two ani. So I guess I am out, naaku PhD chese antha interest kaani, patience kaani ledu. 

Have  lots of friends that did PhD though, anduke comment chesa. 

Even if you get your PHD the funding for projects that you want to do as a Prof/Asst Prof  is totally CUT if you submit 100 papers only 8-10 papers are getting funded

No personal life. Week lo 6 days, sometimes 7 lab lo ne vundali.

No regular hours but usual ga 60+ hrs/week. PhD lo pay usual ga  per month 1800 ninchi 2300 varaku vastundi.

Post doc aith e 3000 per month ravochu. Depends on the type and importance/field of your work.

Inka lab politics kuda vuntai.

• 1 year later...
On 10/25/2017 at 5:09 PM, Anta Assamey said:

Nenu doing PhD ... Registered in India but doing all the work here in USA... Anduke adiganu

Meeru PhD ela register ayyaru.. koncham info istara please

3 minutes ago, sarams said:

Meeru PhD ela register ayyaru.. koncham info istara please

Information ante em kavali cheppu... Keep shooting the questions and I will answer as much as I can ...tenor.gif?itemid=8412189

On 10/25/2017 at 12:45 PM, RangasthalamRasikudu said:

mee views cheppandi.. already phd chesina valu or right now chestunna valu unte.. mee anubhavalu eskondi 

PhD is not a joke

3 minutes ago, Anta Assamey said:

Information ante em kavali cheppu... Keep shooting the questions and I will answer as much as I can ...tenor.gif?itemid=8412189

PhD is my passion.. chesthe manchi univ lo ne cheyalani wait chesnau inni years.. but family and personal reasons valla relocate avvalenu. Nenu unde place dagarlo no universities. I did masters in software engineering major vachesi project management in Europe.. 2009 lo aipoindi..  Right now I'm working in USA. Visa sponsorship and funding em avasaram ledu.. 8.5 years nunchi it field lo working..  2 research papers rasanu.. GRE, toefl lantivemi rayaledu.. phd cheyalane passion ipatiki alage undi.. relocate avvalenu.. so suggestions emanna ivvagalara.. like em options unnayi.. online lo manchi universities emanna offer chesthunara..Hyderabad jntu campus lo chadivanu so akkada computer science professors recommendations inka masters chesina professors and current office lo recommendations aythe teskogalanu.. meeru ela register ayyaru.. enni years padthundi..course work ela untundi.. alanti details ivvagalara

I am doing part-time phd. If you have masters you can get transfer 30 credit hrs( you need 72 hrs to complete phd). If you are in-state meaning staying in the same state for more than one year on h1b , then you need to pay in-state fee which is around 6500 dollars( 6 courses = 18 credit hrs). As you are paying your fee, you can work in your own time and you wont be having too much of pressure from prof. Preparing your application for eb1 gc

1) If you write one decent paper-once a year. You will get around 75 citations in 5 to 6 years. 

2) Look for some indian or Chinese based journals where you can become reviewer and review around 2 to 4 papers a year. ( it will take around 5 years to get 20 to 25 paper reviews) 

3) Getting recommendation letters is a tough one. You have 2 to 3 years to get this. You need to have at least  one good journal for this. 

4) Getting a phd position in the company. After your phd prepare for six months to one year to get this position. 

Its not easy, but you need to prepare your application carefully for at least 4 to 5 years. With an investment of 30k dollars ( you pay towards and conferences. Some companies pay for some of your courses) you may have a shot. 

One of my friend got his I140 approved last month. He prepare his application very carefully from past two to three years. He is not even doing his research as a part of his daily job. 

33 minutes ago, sarams said:

PhD is my passion.. chesthe manchi univ lo ne cheyalani wait chesnau inni years.. but family and personal reasons valla relocate avvalenu. Nenu unde place dagarlo no universities. I did masters in software engineering major vachesi project management in Europe.. 2009 lo aipoindi..  Right now I'm working in USA. Visa sponsorship and funding em avasaram ledu.. 8.5 years nunchi it field lo working..  2 research papers rasanu.. GRE, toefl lantivemi rayaledu.. phd cheyalane passion ipatiki alage undi.. relocate avvalenu.. so suggestions emanna ivvagalara.. like em options unnayi.. online lo manchi universities emanna offer chesthunara..Hyderabad jntu campus lo chadivanu so akkada computer science professors recommendations inka masters chesina professors and current office lo recommendations aythe teskogalanu.. meeru ela register ayyaru.. enni years padthundi..course work ela untundi.. alanti details ivvagalara

All the information I am telling you is related to my experience and information I have found over the course of my journey  and in a SCIENCE field --

I am currently registered for PhD in a Government University in India and all the information I am giving is based upon the rules of UGC (Uniion Grants Commission) so there are exceptions that you don't need national level exams for PhD entrance.

First you need to do is --

1. Check with your current employer to see if he/she is ok with your PhD and can give a supporting letter because you need to submit this letter to Indian University.

2. Find a University in India that supports you for doing your PhD remotely, Some universities call it Part Time PhD as you won't stay at the university and part time PhD is no different just a name because you do it remotely.

3. Entrance exam is not needed for someone of the Government Universities but they will ask you to write the Internal exam for the University and you can clear it.

3. Indian Uinversities --> Regarding course work, because you already have a Masters from abroad ..... Indian University will give you exceptions for the course and complete the mandatory courses like Ethics and etc... Which are hardly 1 or 2 courses. You can go to india just to write those exams for a week and come back. 

4. OPTIONAL ---> In USA if you are working in an University based employe then you can request your Director or Professor for an MOU with the University in India ... which will makes all the above things very easy and its a common thing in US to do the MOU.

5. Some universities have rules that you need to spend 6 months to 1 year in India on a CUMULATIVE before you finish your PhD so can visit India when ever you are free and account towards it. This is based on the university you select.

6. In India 3 years is minimum and maximum of X years .. max depends on the university. Minimum is definitely 3 years.

Not sure if I missed any information you asked for.... Please Go ahead and keep quesitoning  ....