India's new Pakyong Airport opens in incredible Himalayan surroundings

Spartan

Sometimes an airport is just a strip of asphalt on a flat bit of land outside of town. Other times, as with India's new Pakyong Airport, it's a breathtaking piece of engineering on the roof of the world.

Set in the Himalayan mountains at a height of over 1,400 meters (4,593 feet), the facility serving a remote area of Sikkim state offers one of the most dramatic airport approaches on the planet.

Its inauguration on Monday also marked a milestone for aviation and travel in India.

"After the opening of the airport there are now 100 operational airports in India." said Narendra Modi, India's prime minister, during a speech at Pakyong's opening ceremony on Monday.

Serene and splendid!
Clicked these pictures on the way to Sikkim. Enchanting and incredible! #IncredibleIndia pic.twitter.com/OWKcc93Sb1

— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 23, 2018
"This airport was built at a cost of $68.7 million and showcases our engineers, workers and their potential -- how the mountains were cleared, the ditch was filled, the heavy rains they dealt with. This is truly an amazing feat of engineering."

As part of that work, an 80.38 meter embankment was built to make space for the 1.7-kilometer-long and 30-meter-wide runway, which is enclosed by deep valleys.

25 minutes ago, Android_Halwa said:

If my guess is not wrong, then arriving or departing this airport, one can see Mount Everest tip on a clear sky day

flight path unda everest ki deggaraga....I dont think so

41 minutes ago, Android_Halwa said:

If my guess is not wrong, then arriving or departing this airport, one can see Mount Everest tip on a clear sky day

Yes your guess is wrong, they go around