Any runners here?

tennisluvr

I just got back into running after a break of a few years, I regularly play tennis and so have the endurance but was lacking the cadence and rhythm(breathing) to run long distances(3 miles and above). I was more into Sprints and short distance track running in my school days so I am not very good at long distance running. 

I was able to run 2 miles which is my goal today after a long time, but instead of running it at a steady pace I used a HIIT way to run the distance. So I would run 400 meters as fast as i could, walk and catch my breath, then run again etc till I finished my goal of 2 miles. 

If there are any runners on this forum, could you advise me on how I can get to doing a 2 mile run consistently without resorting to HIIT and rather pace myself at a steady rhythm. Just looking for tips etc. 

Just increase your mileage not more than 10% every week, and alternate between sprints and long runs. So weekdays do short runs and alternate your speed. Weekends go for a long run at a manageable pace.

When I signed up for a tough Mudder (10 mile obstacle course run) I couldn’t even run 1 mile without stopping. But I slowly increased my mileage by 1 mile every weekend. So alaa few weeks Ki finished TM, then did a half-marathon and then a Marathon. Take it slowly!

do not do a hiit. you dont want to hurt yourself by doing so hiit in running..not advisable really 

rather put your speed to low like around 5.5 and focus. the target would be 10 mins a mile, but atleast you'd end uo 0.85 per 10 mins...

make sure to wear knee braces or straps..we have to make sure to not hurt those ankles and knees..let me know if you need any info. i'd be glad to help

:)

5 minutes ago, Peter123 said:

do not do a hiit. you dont want to hurt yourself by doing so hiit in running..not advisable really 

rather put your speed to low like around 5.5 and focus. the target would be 10 mins a mile, but atleast you'd end uo 0.85 per 10 mins...

make sure to wear knee braces or straps..we have to make sure to not hurt those ankles and knees..let me know if you need any info. i'd be glad to help

:)

Oh I thought HIIT actually is more beneficial to prevent injuries, looks like you are saying the opposite. I will try your approach though. I don't wear knee braces but wore compression sleeves for the calves. I will get some knee braces if you recommend me to wear them, but are they really needed as we don't do any activity that's going to land us on our knees like volleyball. 

just curious why you prefer steady pace running.. preparing for marathon ?  if so.. need to do frequent long runs ...like fast finish long runs

checkout this https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20790534/learn-how-to-run-negative-splits/

i prefer sprint running over stead pace running... as my goal is burn more calories in less time..rather than endurance...

looks at marathon runner and sprinter pic....

checkout https://www.fitmole.org/sprinters-vs-marathon-runners/ for info

marathon_sprinter1.jpg 

2 minutes ago, Run said:

just curious why you prefer steady pace running.. preparing for marathon ?  if so.. need to do frequent long runs ...like fast finish long runs

checkout this https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20790534/learn-how-to-run-negative-splits/

i prefer sprint running over stead pace running... as my goal is burn more calories in less time..rather than endurance...

looks at marathon runner and sprinter pic....

checkout https://www.fitmole.org/sprinters-vs-marathon-runners/ for info

marathon_sprinter1.jpg 

Hehe that pic is not a fair comparison 😆

plus sprint Ki, marathon Ki different muscles work avthay

Just now, tennisluvr said:

Oh I thought HIIT actually is more beneficial to prevent injuries, looks like you are saying the opposite. I will try your approach though. I don't wear knee braces but wore compression sleeves for the calves. I will get some knee braces if you recommend me to wear them, but are they really needed as we don't do any activity that's going to land us on our knees like volleyball. 

HIIT - is tough burning more cals in high intervals..what that means is you got to run 10 speeds pr around in short time, your heart rate bumps crazy, your knees might get misplaced, ankles could get hurt,,,all these are possibilities, now if you want to run for ever..you dont want to do this stuff. 

HIIT works in exercises though, 

knee braces advantage is when you have knee pains when you keep running they manage that, protects knees and any pains to knees so that you could keep running, you could get them in amazon for 10 bucks, watch videos on that too, how to wear and where exactly to wear em..usually under the knees. 

Remember one thing - always we have to protect our knees and ankles in all ways possible so we could keep running. 

My exp: 7 years running 4-5 days a week 5 miles per day....Good Luck

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter123 said:

HIIT - is tough burning more cals in high intervals..what that means is you got to run 10 speeds pr around in short time, your heart rate bumps crazy, your knees might get misplaced, ankles could get hurt,,,all these are possibilities, now if you want to run for ever..you dont want to do this stuff. 

knee braces advantage is when you have knee pains when you keep running they manage that, protects knees and any pains to knees so that you could keep running, you could get them in amazon for 10 bucks, watch videos on that too, how to wear and where exactly to wear em..usually under the knees. 

Remember one thing - always we have to protect our knees and ankles in all ways possible so we could keep running. 

K

4 minutes ago, Peter123 said:

I’ve heard mixed views on using knee braces long term (although I used them in a marathon and they were helpful), what do you think? 🤔

6 minutes ago, Peter123 said:

Neeku supari ichina saripoyedi 

maa Bihar gaaniki paisalu bokka

5 minutes ago, Nellore Pedda reddy said:

Hehe that pic is not a fair comparison 😆

plus sprint Ki, marathon Ki different muscles work avthay

i know.. ofcourse  sprinting  and long distance are  different games.....depends on the purpose.. for me i use sprinting as i combine it with weight lifting

1 minute ago, Run said:

i know.. ofcourse  sprinting  and long distance are  different games.....depends on the purpose.. for me i use sprinting as i combine it with weight lifting

😁