Scientists change the definition of a kilogram

Staysafebro

Scientists have unanimously voted to change the way a kilogram is defined.

A cylinder of polished platinum-iridium alloy known as “Le Grand K”, which is locked away safe in a Paris vault, it to be retired from its role as the true kilogram.

Instead, attendees at the General Conference on Weights and Measures have opted to use a measurement based on electric currents to define this unit of weight.

Representatives from 60 countries around the world gathered in Versailles, France, to witness the moment, with some scientists sporting tattoos on their arms to mark the occasion.

The decision was greeted by rapturous applause, after the policy makers and scientists one by one signalled their approval of the new system.

“The vote is a unanimous yes; I hope that such votes will be possible for many other issues in the world,” said Professor Sebastien Candel, president of the French Academy of Sciences, who oversaw proceedings.

kilogram-france.jpg

For over a century, a kilogram has been defined by a lump of metal held securely in a Paris vault (AP)

Besides the kilogram, the vote also covered three other measures from the International System of Units (SI): the ampere, the kelvin and the mole.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/kilogram-definition-change-scientists-vote-weight-grand-k-paris-versailles-a8636871.html

On May 20, 2019, Le Grand K will lose its special status, and the mass of a kilogram will be defined by a fundamental constant of nature known as the Planck constant. At the same time, other mainstays of the metric system will also be revamped: the ampere (the unit of electric current), the kelvin (the unit of temperature) and the mole (the unit for amount of substance).

Now, instead of being based on arbitrary quantities or physical artifacts that might change over time, “all the definitions will be based on what we call the fundamental constants of nature,” says metrologist Estefanía de Mirandés of the International Bureau of Weights and Measures in Sèvres, France.

Those unchanging numbers — which include the speed of light and the charge of the electron — are the same everywhere in the universe, making them useful pegs upon which to hang the metric system’s hat. “It's a very big change of paradigm, and now it’s complete,” de Mirandés says.

1 minute ago, Amy99 said:

Enni ids tho vasthay...ne opika ki dhandham..#4H#

emo Amy

I never used bad words and won't use in future too

still I am getting screwed ... inko 3 ids ready gaa unnayi le

3 minutes ago, watta_precious_fruit said:

emo Amy

I never used bad words and won't use in future too

still I am getting screwed ... inko 3 ids ready gaa unnayi le

Hey  precious....take it easy.

e db eh antha...

infact e prapanchame antha..H&*()

4 minutes ago, Amy99 said:

Hey  precious....take it easy.

e db eh antha...

infact e prapanchame antha..H&*()

yea ade Amy ... edo funny comment chesthaanu

thattukoleka lepestaaru

used to it Amy, thanks for PALAKARINTHA btw ... I come here for friends like maa kurru gadu @boeing747 @Amrita @samaja_varagamana @AlaElaAlaEla  @MuPaGuNa 

8 minutes ago, Amy99 said:

Haha okay ,...have fun with your friends  :)

thx Amy99 chachioyyi 2 days ayindi

eroje mods 3 ids approve chesaaru :) 

11 hours ago, watta_precious_fruit said:

repu office ki vachi medal teeskellu Ammu

u deserve it 

Gold medal ah @watta_precious_fruit

10 hours ago, watta_precious_fruit said:

yea ade Amy ... edo funny comment chesthaanu

thattukoleka lepestaaru

used to it Amy, thanks for PALAKARINTHA btw ... I come here for friends like maa kurru gadu @boeing747 @Amrita @samaja_varagamana @AlaElaAlaEla  @MuPaGuNa 

Enni sarlu chachipotav cheppu? Vadiley no a sodhi NTR stuff @3$%