Innocent death - justice system failure

tennisluvr

A few weeks back I posted to check on dash camera for an accident on June 28,2019, on the intersection of Macarthur Blvd and Meadow creek Dr., where my wife was killed. Many of you responded with support and prayers, thanks for that and I appreciate! Unfortunately, no action on the drivers (one of them had no license & no insurance) who killed my wife. All set to free without even a trial and knowing the truth. The Irving police dept. and Dallas county district attorney have decided to close the case. A mother of 2 (8 & 3), a Wife, a daughter, a sister, an innocent, lost her life at 34 for the mistake and ignorance of others. It ruined our family & our dreams. We read about many world leaders and heroes who fought for justice and equality but its bitter truth that till date we need to fight for equality and justice. It sounds me there is no value for a precious life in Irving and Dallas county. I lost the trust that I get the justice here but there is a supreme above us, the god, who can give me justice. It may be drivers or who tried to save them or people who stopped justice to my wife and family, the god will take care of them, it’s a matter of time. In this world, the “Karma” has to follow and it runs in circle. And injustice to my wife & family may cost them much more stronger & worst, just matter of time! Thanks again for the support, messages and prayers. #justice4anu #noracism #equalrights #equality

Thanks all for the prayers & messages. As most of us understand and feel that there should be charges but I don’t know why the Irving police and Dallas country DA office doesn’t understand this and some common sense. My wife was in the air and fell down approximately 80-100 feet from where she was struck by a pick up truck and still the police doesn’t agree that the pick up truck was at higher speed. Any expert that calculate the speed and moreover its a common understanding. I hope they are listening now and at least now try to get justice. If you involve by calling or any other way, if that makes a difference, that would be really great and I appreciate. Here is the response from Dallas DA “ Dear Narayan, Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I am sincerely sorry for the loss of your wife in this tragic accident. Our office does not have a criminal referral from the Irving Police Department related to this case. After an extensive investigation the Irving Police Department determined that charges are not warranted in this case. Ultimately, it is the decision of the police department to bring such charges, and we must defer to their experience investigating such matters. Our office has consulted with the Irving Police Department on the case. As a result, there is no pending prosecution related to this accident. Best Regards, John C. Creuzot Dallas County Criminal District Attorney 133 N. Riverfront L.B. 19 Dallas TX 75207 214-653-3620 “ I hope someone here help.. Thanks again for all for your support and prayers.

Irving family in mourning after pedestrian death, TxDOT stresses safety initiative

On Monday TxDOT launched BE SAFE. DRIVE SMART. The pedestrian safety initiative is to remind drivers and pedestrians to slow down, be alert and obey traffic laws.

Author: Jobin Panicker
Published: 10:25 PM CDT September 9, 2019
Updated: 10:25 PM CDT September 9, 2019

IRVING, Texas — Narayan Mahajan does not have the heart to tell his 3-year-old what happened to his mother. Anupama Mahajan was walking to a math tutoring class when she was struck and killed by a vehicle. 

It has been a painful two months for the family in Irving. 

"Everything is different. My world is totally changed," Narayan Mahajan said.

Anupama was struck after a vehicle failed to yield the right-of-way and struck another vehicle, according to a police report. The collision forced the oncoming vehicle into the 34-year-old mother of two.

"Why should we go through this pain? It shouldn't happen to anyone. It happened to us," Mahajan said.

On Monday, TxDOT launched its BE SAFE. DRIVE SMART. campaign. It is a pedestrian safety initiative to remind drivers and pedestrians to slow down, be alert and obey traffic laws.

The numbers tell the tale. Last year in the Dallas area there were 89 fatalities. In the Fort Worth area, there were 60 fatalities. In 2019, just through July of 2019 in Dallas County alone, there have been 53 pedestrian deaths.

TxDOT says one of the top factors is drivers not yielding the right-of-way, which is what happened in Anupama's case.

"We have population growth, congestion on the road. We're constantly improving our projects and roadways," TxDOT spokesperson Danielle Boyd said.

Mahajan agrees that pedestrian safety needs to be stressed. However, he is struggling with the notion that nobody has been held responsible for his wife's death.

"I want them to be brought to justice," he said. 

He said it is an injustice that none of the drivers were arrested or charged. Irving Police told WFAA there are rarely charges brought on ticketable offenses such as not yielding the right-of-way.

Attorney Scott Becker is not connected to this case but enlightened us on the subject of criminal and civil culpability. Becker, of McCathern Law Firm, said the decision whether to prosecute is at the discretion of the District Attorney.

"Not every tragedy is somebody's fault and sometimes that makes it more of a tragedy," Becker said.

But Mahajan may have a civil claim which he tells WFAA he is pursuing. 

His 3-year-old still thinks mom hasn't come home from tutoring.

TxDOT gives the following tips for their BE SAFE. DRIVE SMART. campaign:

If you’re driving: 

• Reduce your speed when approaching crosswalks and stop for pedestrians.
  • Yield the right of way to pedestrians when turning.
  • Be careful when passing buses or stopped vehicles.
  • Stay alert and put your phone away—pedestrians may enter your path suddenly.
  • Obey the speed limit and drive to conditions.

If you’re walking:

• Use sidewalks whenever they’re available. If there’s no sidewalk, walk on the left side of the road facing traffic.
  • Always cross at intersections or marked crosswalks. Look left, then right, then left again before proceeding.
  • Make eye contact with drivers before crossing the street. Never assume a driver sees you.
  • Be visible. Wear something light or reflective after dark.
  • Don’t be distracted by devices that take your eyes and ears off the road.
  • As a passenger, get in or out of a vehicle on the curbside of the street.

Whether you’re driving or walking, alcohol can impair your judgment, coordination and reaction times.