Saw Selectors Getting Tea For Anushka Sharma, Virat Kohli Has Major Impact On Selection, Says Farokh Engineer

Kool_SRG

Veteran India wicketkeeper Farokh Engineer slammed the Indian selectors, calling the present set a "Mickey Mouse selection committee".

bjml8lg_virat-kohli-anushka-sharma-afp_6

Another controversy hit India cricket as former India wicketkeeper Farokh Engineer went on record saying that Virat Kohli not only has "major impact" on the selection process for the Indian team but also holds influence over the Indian selectors. Engineer said he saw them (selectors) "getting Anushka Sharma cups of tea" during a 2019 World Cup match in the UK. The 82-year-old Farokh Engineer was highly disappointed with the current MSK Prasad-led selection committee, calling it a "Mickey Mouse selection committee" with no appropriate qualification for the job. "We have got a Mickey Mouse selection committee. Virat Kohli has a major impact (in the process) which is very good. But how are the selectors qualified? Between them, have they played about 10-12 Test matches," Engineer told The Times Of India.

"I didn't even know one of the selectors during the World Cup and I asked him who the hell he was, because he was wearing the India blazer and he said he was one of the selectors. All they were doing was getting Anushka Sharma (Kohli's wife) cups of tea," Engineer added.

He believed former India batsman Dilip Vengsarkar should be in the committee for the betterment of sport in the country.

"I feel people with the stature of Dilip Vengsarkar should be in the selection committee," he said.

The current selection committee has been a subject to criticism by fans and many cricket experts for surprise incisions and exclusions lately. MSK Prasad, the chairman of the selection committee, had grabbed everyone's attention when he justified Vijay Shankar's selection over Ambati Rayudu with a "three-dimensional" remark before the World Cup.

‘BCCI Selectors Served Tea to Anushka at WC,’ Says Farokh Engineer

Former Indian wicketkeeper Farokh Engineer launched a scathing attack on Indian selectors by saying that they were serving cups of tea to Anushka Sharma during the World Cup, a claim the actor later rubbished.

Engineer even called the nationals selectors a “Mickey Mouse selection committee,” in an interview with The Times of India.

He also launched an attack on the Supreme Court-appointed Committee Of Administrators (CoA), which was in charge of the BCCI for 33 months before the recent election, which saw Sourav Ganguly become president.

‘How Are the Selectors Qualified?’

Engineer criticised the lack of experience among the members of the selection committee, while praising captain Virat Kohli’s role in the selection process. He said that people with the stature of former Indian cricketer Dilip Vengsarkar should be part of the committee.

“We have got a Mickey Mouse selection committee. Virat Kohli has a major impact (in the process), which is very good. But how are the selectors qualified? Between them, have they played about 10-12 Test matches. I didn’t even know one of the selectors during the World Cup and I asked him ‘who the hell he was’ because he was wearing the India blazer and he said he was one of the selectors.

“All they were doing was getting Anushka Sharma cups of tea. I feel people with the stature of Dilip Vengsarkar should be in the selection committee,” Engineer told The Times of India.

‘CoA Were on a Honeymoon’

Engineer questioned the heavy pay packets the selectors get, while also lauding the decision to have former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly as the BCCI chief.

“It is about time we had a cricketer who ran the board, because the CoA, in my opinion, were a complete waste of time. They had no idea about cricket.”
Farokh Engineer to Times of India

“I read the other day that each one of them (the CoA) has pocketed Rs 3.5 crore. It’s criminal. Plus I believe they got paid thousands and thousands for attending meetings and all, I feel they were on a honeymoon. The honeymoon is over,” the daily further quoted Engineer as saying.

Engineer played 46 Test matches and five ODI matches for the Indian cricket team, winning ‘Indian Cricketer of the Year’ in 1965. The 82-year-old is now a match referee in the Indian Premier League.

We Have Got A Mickey Mouse Selection Committee – Farokh Engineer

The last few months have been pretty tough on the selectors. They continuously received flak after selecting the squads for the national and domestic tournaments. And also, they came under scrutiny when they continuously gave chances to the underperforming players and left out key players at the crucial junctures. Highlighting the same, the former cricketer Farokh Engineer thrashes the selection panel.

Recently, we came across Sunil Gavaskar calling the current Indian selectors as lame ducks. He added that the panel is working as per the guidance of Virat Kohli. Meanwhile, the latest to join the bandwagon is Farokh Engineer, who quoted that MSK Prasad-led Panel is just looking like a Mickey Mouse Selection Committee.

Presently, MSK Prasad is the Chairman of India’s senior selection committee. A lot of questions have been raised about the panel’s efficiency with former greats showing their concerns. The selection procedure during the ICC World Cup 2019 also came under the scanner.

Dilip Vengsarkar should be in the selection committee – Farokh Engineer

Speaking of the same, Farokh Engineer explained an incident that happened during the ICC World Cup 2019. Farokh quoted that he had seen a person wearing Indian Blazer serving coffee to Anushka Sharma, which didn’t please him. Later, he went on to that the person, who is wearing the blazer is an Indian selector. Engineer suggested that someone of Dilip Vengsarkar stature should be in the selection panel.

”We have got a Mickey Mouse selection committee. Virat Kohli has a major impact (in the process) which is very good. But how are the selectors qualified? Between them, have they played about 10-12 Test matches. I didn’t even know one of the selectors during the World Cup and I asked him ‘who the hell he was’ because he was wearing the India blazer and he said he was one of the selectors,” Farokh Engineer said as per Times of India.

All they were doing was getting Anushka Sharma (Kohli’s wife) cups of tea. I feel people with the stature of Dilip Vengsarkar should be in the selection committee,” he said.

Well, it would be interesting to see how things would turn out. Recently, the former Indian opening batsman Virender Sehwag backed the ex-coach of the Indian team Anil Kumble to be the National Selector of the India National Cricket Team. However, under current agreement, the MSK Prasad-led panel will look after things for 2 more years.