4 minutes ago, soldier said:

Try northwestern they have good programs 

no to northeast, mid west..texas is fine

prefer sunny climate.

california , nv, texas, new orleans, louisiana

Thinking how to write a proposal @Anta Assamey, @Pillipilla

https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/phd/degrees/neuroscience-phd

Writing your research proposal

Your proposal is your chance to tell us why you want to study your PhD at Sussex. Follow our guide to making your research proposal as strong as possible.

Your research proposal

If you are considering studying a PhD, there are two options available to you.

You can:

• apply for a funded PhD where you research a set project
  • design your own research project, which you can either fund yourself, or apply for external funding.

If you decide to design your own research project, you need to write a research proposal which will form a central part of your PhD application.

Follow our step-by-step guide below to help you through the process of writing your research proposal.

1. Plan your research proposal

You should contact the relevant academic department before applying to Sussex and check if there are any additional requirements for your research proposal.

Even at this early stage, you may be asked questions regarding your research, and so you should start thinking about:

• the questions driving your research
    • how your research makes 'an original contribution' to your field and how will you achieve this
    • if your research provides new knowledge, or reinterprets existing ideas in an original way
    • how you intend to do the research i.e. the methodology you'll use and how you'll structure your work
    • how Sussex can aid you in your research and what you want to study here.
  2. Ask for advice

If you need further advice you can contact our academic staff working in your field.

You can also ask research students and academic staff at your current university for help. It is good practice to discuss your ideas with others in your research area and use their suggestions to further your understanding and strengthen your proposal.

During this process you should start making detailed notes. You might also want to start planning your research proposal. If so, breaking it down into the traditional sections below may help you organise and manage your thoughts:

• title
    • introduction
    • research background
    • research methods
    • timetable
    • bibliography.
  3. Find a supervisor

Choosing the right supervisor is one of the most important steps towards a successful and rewarding PhD.

Before approaching a supervisor, you'll need to have a clear idea of the research you hope to undertake.

Once you have established a relationship with a potential supervisor, you can ask them to read the first draft of your research proposal. They can give you valuable feedback and help you refine your ideas before you submit your application.

Discover how to find a supervisor

4. Write your proposal

You may now be in a position to start writing your proposal. This is central to your final application.

A strong research proposal:

• formulates a precise, interesting research question
    • establishes the relevance and value of the proposed research question in the context of current academic thinking
    • describes the data or source material your research requires
    • outlines a clear and practical methodology, which enables you to answer the research question
    • states clearly what you hope to discover at the end of your research and what new areas it might open up.

The exact content and structure of your research proposal will depend on your subject area.

Below you can see information from each academic school which shows what they expect a research proposal to contain:

Proofread your research proposal

Once you have completed your proposal, check it through thoroughly. You should make sure all the information you have cited is accurate. Correct spelling and punctuation is also essential.

Write in clear sentences and structure your research proposal in a logical format that is easy for the reader to follow.

It is easy to miss errors in your own work, so ask someone else to proofread your research proposal before submitting it to Sussex.

Calling phD brothers @Anta Assamey, @Pillipilla,@drbeta. 

PhD in Tactile Biomechanics and Neuroscience: How Do Humans Feel Friction?

Background: Prosthetic and robotic hands demonstrate poor dexterity during object manipulation, often dropping objects. Humans rarely allow objects to slip because we can sense if an object is slippery and adjust our grip. In recent years, while we have learned more about the biomechanics and neuroscience underpinning our ability to sense friction, there is still much to learn. Perhaps unsurprisingly, given how poorly we understand human friction sensing, very little research has been directed at replicating this ability to sense friction or slipperiness in artificial sensors. This research program has three work packages: (WP1) To advance our understanding of how humans sense friction; (WP2) To demonstrate, using a number of friction-based tactile sensor prototypes currently under development by our research group, that friction sensing leads to improved dexterity in robotic manipulation;
(WP3) To use advanced design, manufacturing, and instrumentation methods to miniaturise the proposed sensors to a scale similar to a human finger pad. The outcomes of this research, which would endow artificial hands with the ability to feel the slipperiness and/or impending loss of grip of a grasped object, could significantly advance the fields of prosthetics, telesurgery, and service, agricultural, and manufacturing robotics.

PhD scope: The candidate will work on WP1 of this project, performing biomechanical and microneurographic studies of the human sense of touch to discover the mechanisms by which frictional information about the contact interface between the finger pad and a manipulated object is transduced by the skin of the finger pad, and subsequently encoded and signalled to the brain by tactile afferents. The biomechanical studies will involve video processing of relative movement between the skin and the object surface, and this movement (and associated forces) related to friction. Microneurography, using microelectrodes placed in the median nerve at the level of the wrist, will be used to record the responses of single tactile afferents in response to localised biomechanical events, which in turn are influenced by frictional properties – this demonstrates whether friction-related biomechanical events (such as localised slips) can be detected by our mechanoreceptors. Robotic actuators will be used (with support from additional technical and research staff) to manipulate the skin of the finger pad. Advance statistical methods, including machine learning techniques, will be used to decode the ensemble of neural recordings, highlighting which biomechanical events are important to our sensation of friction.

Supervision and research environment: The candidate will be supervised by A/Prof Stephen Redmond (School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering: https://www.ucd.ie/eleceng/) and Prof James Jones (School of Medicine: https://www.ucd.ie/medicine/). The candidate will also spend time training with one of our international collaborators to develop skills in the technique of microneurography. Neurological recordings will be performed in Dublin under the guidance of Prof Jones, and in collaboration with Neurology Research Group at St Vincent’s University Hospital, Dublin. The candidate will interact with the other work packages or the project. The candidate will also have the opportunity to contribute to the SFI Insight Centre for Data Analytics (https://www.insight-centre.org/) based at UCD.

Funding: A stipend of 18,500 per annum plus tuition fee is available for a maximum of four years. The project is generously funded by Science Foundation Ireland’s President of Ireland Future Research Leaders Award, held by A/Prof Redmond, which includes an extensive budget for laboratory apparatus, consumables, and travel. The tactile sensor design work packages are also partly supported by US Office of Naval Research Global funding held by A/Prof Redmond and Dr Heba Khamis at UNSW (Sydney, Australia).

Academic requirements: The minimum academic qualification is a first- or upper-second-class honours degree (or an equivalent international degree) in electrical engineering, software engineering, biomedical engineering, neuroscience, neurophysiology, or a sufficiently related field. Software programming skills are essential.

Contact: Please send the following documents to Stephen Redmond ([email protected]😞

(1) Cover letter;

(2) Curriculum vitae;

(3) All academic transcripts;

(4) Currently valid IELTS, TOEFL or other English language qualification.

5 hours ago, speedracer said:

what about personal life? are you dating? still a virgin? balance everything...dont save up money like a fool and buy apartments/lands in india. Live it up and pursue your honest passionate goals

Excellent advice

6 hours ago, Beardman said:

Not scared of GRE, its jujubi.

But searching for  universities  accepting for fall/spring 2020 which can provide funding

lol. ne confidence ki nuvu adigina question sync avatledey 

20 minutes ago, aatadista said:

lol. ne confidence ki nuvu adigina question sync avatledey 

epudo 2009 lo rasthe eddi telivithoney 1180/1600 vachindhi

ippudu pattern marindhemo, but i can say its a cake walk.

4 minutes ago, Beardman said:

epudo 2009 lo rasthe eddi telivithoney 1180/1600 vachindhi

ippudu pattern marindhemo, but i can say its a cake walk.

Did you really do CS in MS or doing IT job with pharmacy bachelors and tired of that job. I am trying to see if you can use your MS to waive some of the prerequisites in phd. That depends on your research area though.  I wonder what university gave you the admission to CS program even after knowing you have pharmacy background? Can’t you go back to same university? 

3 minutes ago, aatadista said:

Did you really do CS in MS or doing IT job with pharmacy bachelors and tired of that job. I am trying to see if you can use your MS to waive some of the prerequisites in phd. That depends on your research area though.  I wonder what university gave you the admission to CS program even after knowing you have pharmacy background? Can’t you go back to same university? 

2.5 years 13 subjects at univ of southern mississippi.,..AI, OOPS, C++ ...LEARNT NOTHING THERE.

can't go back,they dismissed me from program

later transferred to other kulfi univ and completed, dont want to name it.

8 minutes ago, Beardman said:

2.5 years 13 subjects at univ of southern mississippi.,..AI, OOPS, C++ ...LEARNT NOTHING THERE.

can't go back,they dismissed me from program

later transferred to other kulfi univ and completed, dont want to name it.

Oh, sorry to hear. I think you will be better off asking this question in education forums. I don’t think db can give any info on non-IT phd stuff. 

7 minutes ago, aatadista said:

Oh, sorry to hear. I think you will be better off asking this question in education forums. I don’t think db can give any info on non-IT phd stuff. 

Thanks, will look into that

On 11/26/2019 at 2:23 PM, Spartan said:

UK...

UK, Weather wise cold place, nice country to settle

Prefer warmer climates/ near to beaches. US -  i have been here for 9 years

I don't recommend going to state schools to do research. Except a few of them, most state schools are pretty mediocre in terms of research and funding. Besides, private schools offer more opportunities for scholarships because of high endowments. I don't know much about other countries, but I wouldn't recommend writing a proposal if you haven't done research in a while, most proposals require prior research/preliminary results. If you're located in Sunnyvale and are interested in neuroscience, I would recommend working with Karl Disseroth as LSRP 1 or 2 depending on if you have a Masters degree or not. Once you work for a couple of years and publish something, apply for a PhD in a good school. Doing a PhD is a mediocre school or research group is useless. 

1 hour ago, Meowalpha said:

I don't recommend going to state schools to do research. Except a few of them, most state schools are pretty mediocre in terms of research and funding. Besides, private schools offer more opportunities for scholarships because of high endowments. I don't know much about other countries, but I wouldn't recommend writing a proposal if you haven't done research in a while, most proposals require prior research/preliminary results. If you're located in Sunnyvale and are interested in neuroscience, I would recommend working with Karl Disseroth as LSRP 1 or 2 depending on if you have a Masters degree or not. Once you work for a couple of years and publish something, apply for a PhD in a good school. Doing a PhD is a mediocre school or research group is useless. 

Does Disseroth lab has open LSRP positions. Where to look for opportunities?

https://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/382797/eligibility

Interdisciplinary Neuroscience PhD Program

The Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics and the University of Tübingen invite students from all over the world to apply for their interdisciplinary 5-year PhD program leading to a PhD in Neuroscience. Full funding will be available for top-ranked applicants.

We are seeking talented, curious and open-minded young scientists with strong backgrounds in neuroscience, biomedical sciences, computational science, applied mathematics, statistics, artificial intelligence, or engineering. Successful candidates will possess a burning aspiration to shape the future of neuroscience and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary, environment.

The application deadline is December 15, 2019.

The PhD program is a collaboration between the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics and the University of Tübingen. It is closely affiliated with the renowned Graduate Training Centre of Neuroscience, the centerpiece of neuroscience training in Tübingen. Students (who should have been awarded a Bachelor's degree by September 2020) will receive a broad interdisciplinary training in neuroscience, including expert teaching by international renowned scientists and individual and intensive mentoring.

Potential research topics cover a variety of fields in systems neuroscience, cognitive and behavioral neuroscience, computational neuroscience, translational and clinical neuroscience as well as cellular and molecular neuroscience.

Teaching and research is conducted in English. The Max Planck Society strives for gender equity and welcomes applications from all backgrounds. We actively encourage applications from persons with disabilities.

Why choose Tübingen?

Neuroscience in Tübingen comprises more than 100 active research groups covering the full breadth of modern experimental and computational topics, excelling in essentially all cutting-edge methods, and providing productive links to excellent clinical research. This combination of a broad spectrum of methods and perspectives with a remarkable number of internationally competitive institutes close by in a small city makes the Neuroscience in Tübingen unique in Germany, and at the forefront in Europe.