Karan thapr detailed interview with Pavuram fry - lol jaffas must read

Jailjagan_CM

Karan Thapar: Let’s start with the 310 acres that your Idupayalapalli estate surrendered in December. It said, that to begin with you had no business possessing that land and secondly that you may have wrongly possessed it for perhaps as long as 30 years. In those circumstances why shouldn’t you be prosecuted?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: First let me make one clarification that the 310 acres of land was not purchased by me. It was purchased by my father 30-years back. In the total of 310 acres, only 2 acres of land was in my name.

Karan Thapar: Is the land assigned land, because that’s why you surrendered it, so why did you not surrendered it earlier?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: As and when it was brought to my notice that if this land if traced to the year 1905’s record of rights books, a register book, this can be traced as a government land. The moment the fact was brought to my notice, I had surrendered this.

Karan Thapar: You mean you were ignorant of the facts?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Yes, you are absolutely right.

Karan Thapar:Should you not have made an enquiry into the background of the land you owned? Is it justifiable that ignorance should be your excuse?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: In my name only two acres of land was there.

Karan Thapar: Does not matter, the principle of ignorance applies.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: In this two acres I never go and till the land.

Karan Thapar: So what, you still owned it.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: No ultimately it was my father who had given it to me.

Karan Thapar: But you inherited it and you owned it as the inherited son.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: What do I do? The moment the fact was brought to my notice I gave it to the government.

Karan Thapar:But its an amazing thing you are saying. You have been an MLA, you have been an MP, you have been a state minister, you have been leader of the Opposition and today you are the Chief Minister and you are saying that you were ignorant?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Ignorance of fact is no crime. Ignorant of law may be one.

Karan Thapar:It’s not just facts that you were ignorant of? As a four time or five time MLA in Andhra Pradesh you have been chairman of the Constituency Assignment Committee and you were ignorant of the fact that you yourself owned an assigned land.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: That’s right I’m telling you. The fact was never brought to my notice. As and when it was brought to my notice I gave it to the government, I surrendered it to the government.

Karan Thapar:So you are saying ignorance is your excuse.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Yes, it is.

Karan Thapar: Chandrababu Naidu has written a letter to the Prime Minister on December 16. He says that in fact you are guilty of violating six separate Andhra Pradesh laws including the Andhra Pradesh Land Reforms Act of 1973, the Andhra Pradesh Assigned Lands Act of 1977 and he says that you could be liable to up to two-years imprisonment.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: I would request Chandrababu Naidu to jolly well file complaints in the relevant courts of law and prove it.

Karan Thapar: Are you challenging him to take you to court?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: I am challenging him to take me to any court of his choice.

Karan Thapar: Let me make a suggestion to you. If you are so confident that you can face up to enquiry and a court case as well, then why don’t you step aside as Chief Minister, say to the district collector of Kudappa where the land is located, take a decision “whether I should be prosecuted, I will not be above you as the Chief Minister to stop you doing so.” Go ahead and do the honourable thing.”

YS Rajashekar Reddy: If there is at least a prima facie case against me, I could do that. Chandrababu Naidu had made complaints to umpteen number of people.

Karan Thapar: Let me suggest two other reasons why you should do that. By your own admission in the state Assembly on the December 14, you have revealed that your estate still contains, after you have surrendered 310 acres, a 180 acres which is government’s waste land, assigned land, tank land, temple land and rastaland. More importantly, this land is surrounded by a compound wall that you have built. Why are you not surrendering this land?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Everything whatever I am doing is as per law. The moment this 310 acres was brought to my notice, that it should not have been there, I surrendered it.

Karan Thapar: But what about this other land?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Even in this 180 acres if there is anything wrong with this land, let me suggest Chandrababu Naidu to go to any relevant court and agitate against it. Why should I? Unless there is a prima facie case why should I resign or I do anything?

Karan Thapar: I will tell you one of the thing wrong with this 180 acres. You have surrounded it with a compound wall or a compound fence. That compound wall denies access to the public to this land, which is illegal.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: The compound wall is there because there has to be fence, otherwise there are lot of forest animals that come.

Karan Thapar: May be. But as a result of the fencing, the public doesn’t have access to what is public land, which is illegal.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: It is not that way at all.

Karan Thapar: It may not have been your intention but that is the result. Will you remove the fence?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Inspite of the fence, there is a lot of access to the public. If the people want to come, there are gates, which can be used.

Karan Thapar: But you have no right to fence off public land. Why have you fenced it off?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: It is not that way at all. If at all I have done anything wrong let Mr Chandrababu Naidu file it in any court.

Karan Thapar: Once again for the second time in this interview, you are challenging Chandrababu Naidu to take you to court—both in terms of your delay in handing over the 310 acres as well as now in terms of the 180 acres which you retain. In both cases you are saying, “take me to court.”

YS Rajashekar Reddy: He can jolly well do this.

Karan Thapar: Let me bring up a third aspect. Some of the land surrendered by the Idupayalapalli estate was in fact controlled by two companies. Let me name them to you, YSR Reddy Private Plantations Limited and Raja Reddy Resorts Private Limited—you are a shareholder in both. Yet, in your election affidavit of 2004, you neither revealed you were a shareholder nor that this company controlled the land. That’s concealment.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: It’s not that way. In my election returns, or whatever that is, revelations, I did mention that I own some shares worth of so and so money.

Karan Thapar: No forgive me, in your election affidavits, and here they are with me, you do not mention any shareholding whatsoever in either YSR Reddy Private Plantations Limited or in Raja Reddy Resorts Limited. Nor do you mention any of the lands those companies own. You mentioned other lands, you mentioned other shares, but these two companies and their lands are concealed.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: No, no. These particular lands were given to my daughter as ‘Sridhanam,’ when she got married I gave those lands to her.

Karan Thapar: When you surrendered 310 acres, you gave a statement to the state Assembly that state Assembly statement showed that some of the land, in fact not just some of the land but a 115 acres was owned by YS R Reddy Plantations and another 40 acres was owned by Raja Reddy Resorts—none of that is in your affidavits, neither the companies and the shareholdings nor the quantity of land. That is concealment.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: This is absolutely incorrect. In my election return or whatever that I filed, I categorically said, that I owned ‘so many’ shares.

Karan Thapar: But you did not mentioned these companies, you didn’t mentioned shares in these companies.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: The total quantum of shares has been mentioned. Why don’t you go into the total quantum of shares?

Karan Thapar: When you specified by name all the other companies in which you have shares—and you have specified some 8 or 9 of them, then why have you left these out?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: When the total quantum is mentioned, its not necessary that I mention the shareholders of each and every company.

Karan Thapar: Well, that’s a very interesting and disputable answer. But lets leave it aside, people will have to judge for themselves. Let me now turn to the 997 acres at Kundur, which you surrendered in January. You claimed that this is non-agricultural land and therefore it is not subject to the land ceiling and you have in fact you say a court order to establish this. The Opposition says that the court order only establishes that some 540 acres are non-agricultural. Of that 540 they say, barely 300 were in your or your family’s possession. What therefore of the remaining 650 acres? Are they subject to land ceiling and are you once again guilty of wrongly possessing land?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: The Opposition’s claim is totally wrong. It is not 550 acres, it is total 1310 acres of non-agricultural land.

Karan Thapar: But they say you don’t own all of that. They say, of that 1300 cover by the court order, all you own was 300 acres. So the rest of your land is not covered by the court order.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: No, its not that way.

Karan Thapar: Are you absolutely sure?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Yes, I’m absolutely sure.

Karan Thapar: The Opposition is wrong?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: I’m absolutely sure and the Opposition is absolutely wrong. I challenge the Opposition again to go on to the court.

Karan Thapar: This is for the third time that you are challenging the Opposition.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Yes, absolutely, a third time.

Karan Thapar: The Opposition has said in fact, for land ceiling purposes you have claimed that the land at Kundur was non-agricultural. Yet, for income tax purposes you have claimed that the income earned at Kundur is agricultural. How can you have it both ways?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Well at that point of time, I don’t know whatever has been filed in income tax.

Karan Thapar: You mean once again you are ignorant of what you are filing yourself in the income tax.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: No, its only about this particular land. I own so many lands in so many places.

Karan Thapar: That means you are so rich and you have land in so many places that you don’t know what you are talking about.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Yes, ultimately whatever has been filed in the income tax is there.

Karan Thapar: But if the wrong thing has been filed, if you have wrongly claimed exemptions once again you are liable for prosecution.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: No Mr Thapar I’m again telling you, whatever has been filed to the income tax office, has already been filed. If there is anything wrong in any one of these filings, in any one of declarations, again I challenge the Opposition to take this to the court of law. This is for the fourth time during this interview that I’m challenging the Opposition to go to the court.

Karan Thapar: All right, let’s see if there is a fifth time. The Opposition says that you, yourself, your family and your family companies are in wrongful possession of further perhaps as many as 4,000 acres of land in Andhra Pradesh in benaamiholdings. And at this instance they have given many examples of the village where the land is, the districts where the land is, the survey numbers and the quantity of land. Do you own benaami land?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: I just don’t own any benaami land. If at all, any benaamilands are there, let them again go to any court of law.

Karan Thapar: I will tell you what lands they claim are benaami. To begin with Chintalapalli village, Vemulamandal Kadapa district survey number 154 (180 acres), Mayalapalli village, Railway Kodulumandal, Kadapa district survey number 1215, 1217, 1219, 1220, 1221, 1225 amounting up to 150 acres. Are these your lands held benaami?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Absolutely not. I challenge the Opposition again to go even on this to the court.

Karan Thapar: You are throwing challenges to the Opposition today as if you were gifting barfi almost. Why don’t you instead do the honourable thing? If you are so convinced that your conscience is clear and that you have done nothing wrong, then say it to the district collector, “Go ahead and prosecute me. I give you permission as Chief Minister.”

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Why should I say unless there is a prima facie case.

Karan Thapar: Don’t you think there is a need to prove that you are doing the honourable in the right thing, there are horrible charges against you.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: No no, there is no absolute prima facie case. Mr Chandrababu Naidu and his party is known to put only false claims.

Karan Thapar: Forget Chandrababu Naidu for a moment. As the Chief Minister you have sworn an oath to bare true faith and allegiance to the constitution of India. Now it emerges whether you did it knowingly or unknowingly, that you were in possession of assigned lands, lands covered under land reform formats for perhaps as much as 30-years. What sort of faith and allegiance is that to the constitution?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: To the best of my knowledge, whatever has been done, nothing is unlawful. I only want to say that if at all there is anything unlawful, instead of Chandrababu Naidu writing to so many people or so many authorities let him again agitate about this in the court.

Karan Thapar: Why don’t you then, if you are so convinced that your conscience is clear, do the honourable thing - step aside as Chief Minister and let the law take its own course?

When you are proved to be innocent and you are confident that you will be, then you come back and shine with triumph.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Everyday, Mr Chandrababu Naidu alleges something or the other. If I go on resigning for everything and anything that he alleges, I will have to resign 365 times in 365 days.

Karan Thapar: So, as far as the land issue is concerned, your conscience is clear.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Absolutely clear.

Karan Thapar: The only thing that you did was that you delayed in handing it back, but that is because you didn’t know that the land was wrongly acquired. That’s all.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Yes, that’s true. Basically not knowing a fact is not a crime.

Karan Thapar: That’s a very dubious sort of explanation for the Chief Minister of a state to say that he didn’t know the facts. But lets leave it there. Let me ask you, are you guilty of intimidating the press. Are you targeting Ramoji Rao and his newspapers because they are exposing corruption in your government and worst still, corruption perhaps in your family?

Both the Opposition and the press believe that you are targeting Ramoji Rao and his company Margadarsi Financiers because his newspaper Eenadu and his television channels have gone out of their way to expose corruption in your government and worst still corruption perhaps amongst your family members. Are you hitting at Margadarsi Financiers out of revenge?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: This is totally unfounded this is totally baseless.

Karan Thapar: Let me prove to you. I am interrupting to do this why it may have some connection. Can you deny that your interest and concern in Margadarsi Financiers as a deposit taker and your claim that they are making losses happened only after Eenadu had spent several weeks pointing out government complicity and perhaps your own family’s complicity in what is called the outer ring road scandal.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: For that matter there is nothing with regard to the government or my family connected with outer ring road at all.

Karan Thapar: Not just Eenadu even Tribune newspaper in Chandigarh has alleged that your family members and what are called your own men have wrongly made money.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: When the allegations were there, I immediately constituted CBI enquiry and judicial enquiry. If at all there are anything for me or my family or my government to hide, why will I do all this?

Karan Thapar: I am talking not about your government hiding anything. I’m talking about the fact, are you taking revenge on Ramoji Rao through his finance company for exposing complicity and scandal or at least alleging.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Absolutely not. If Ramoji Rao has written something in his newspaper, that is his own business. I have got nothing to do with it.

Karan Thapar: Ok you say its his business but just a moment, if you are really not taking revenge, then how do you explain the fact that although the RBI had already taken cognisance of you MLA Arun Kumar’s complaint against Margadarsi Financiers, you nonetheless went ahead to appoint a special judge as well as to appoint a CID enquiry under a inspector general. Why did you do that except that you wanted to create panic and create a run?

Y S Rajashekar Reddy: No absolutely not. Whatever we have done just as per the statute and as per the law. In fact RBI themselves asked, in so many words that, whatever has to be done it has to be done by the state government only.

Karan Thapar: Hang on a moment, I am afraid, I am interrupting you yet again. You took this action after the RBI had gone on record with The Hindu newspaper to say, and I quote, “Margadarsi Financiers had an implacable track record with good assets to back it up and despite the fact that not a single depositor had complained of default either then or even up till now.” There was no need for you to act yet you acted and you acted in such a way as to create panic and possibly a run.

Y S Rajashekar Reddy: Again it’s totally false and baseless. Whatever the government has done it’s the responsibility of the government to protect the depositor.

Karan Thapar: Except for the fact that in this instance, you took the pleasure in possibly threatening a finance company and you knew that if you did it, you bring Ramaji Rao down to his knees.

Y S Rajashekar Reddy: Do you mean to say that Mr Thapar, if Mr Ramaji Rao has done something illegal, government, and whatever in the notice of the government, does government should not act against anyone doing something illegal.

Karan Thapar: Are you the right person to act in this instance or is it for the RBI to act? The RBI had already taken cognisance; they had given a clean record, yet you stepped in. And there was no need for you.

Y S Rajashekar Reddy: No, you are totally mistaken. Whatever the government has done, it’s as per the law. Government has done only its duty and nothing else and nothing more.

Karan Thapar: Let me give you another instance. You have also appointed a special public prosecutor to consider prosecuting Ramaji Rao as editor of Enadubecause you allege that be has criminally defamed the Home Minister last year in July, even though the article in question doesn’t mention the Home Minister at all. Most people say, that its a clear cut attempt to intimidate Enadu and Ramaji Rao.

Y S Rajashekar Reddy: What sort of a question this is? Do you mean to say that if someone writes something defaming someone…

Karan Thapar: Criminal defamation, why did you go for criminal defamation? Go through the civil courts.

Y S Rajashekar Reddy: Going for criminal defamation is unlawful?

Karan Thapar: It’s not unlawful but it’s an attempt to intimidate. You are using the court to intimidate.

Y S Rajashekar Reddy: No absolutely not. What is this? Do you mean to say that one should not use whatever lawful means one has to take care of his own interest?

Karan Thapar: Well, that’s what you say. Let me quote you The Hindunewspaper, a paper that supports the Congress party, writing on the 23rd in the editorial, they say, “The party of Jawaharlal Nehru, a great defender of press freedom, should be ashamed of what’s its government in Andhra Pradesh is doing.”

Y S Rajashekar Reddy: This particular article was written without knowing totality of the facts, totality of the situation.

Karan Thapar: It quoted in fact the facts to make this conclusion. It wasn’t written in ignorance, it was written as a conclusion to the facts, I have just mentioned.

Y S Rajashekar Reddy: In fact, after that, Mr Arun Kumar wrote back to The Hindu saying that this is not correct.

Karan Thapar: Mr Arun Kumar no doubt would, he is your party MLA. The Hindustill stands by its position.

Y S Rajashekar Reddy: What can we do about it? Do you mean to say that just because it is Hindu or just because it is Mr Thapar, do you mean to say that whatever you write and whatever you talk is totally a Bible or Koran or Gita? No, even the papers like The Hindu also can do something wrong.

Karan Thapar: I am going to end by repeating this question again. Are you deliberately striking at Margadarsi Financiers, are you deliberately bringing criminal defamation cases against Ramaji Rao, because he is been exposing corruption in you government, worst still, corruption in your family?

Y S Rajashekar Reddy: Absolutely not.

Karan Thapar: You are smiling. But is it a smiling matter?

Y S Rajashekar Reddy: Absolutely not, I am not here to intimidate anyone. If the government of Andhra Pradesh has done anything, it has done totally as per the law and as per the statute.

Karan Thapar: Chief Minister, a pleasure talking to you on Devil’s Advocate.

Y S Rajashekar Reddy: Thank you.

Karan Thapar:It’s not just facts that you were ignorant of? As a four time or five time MLA in Andhra Pradesh you have been chairman of the Constituency Assignment Committee and you were ignorant of the fact that you yourself owned an assigned land.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: That’s right I’m telling you. The fact was never brought to my notice. As and when it was brought to my notice I gave it to the government, I surrendered it to the government.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh my god! Too many jokes in my mind!! I am cracking up...can't control myself!!! I am already in the floor laughing as I type this....

Ok , so here goes my excuse for not filing Income Tax Returns "Hi Indian Government. I donot know that I should pay taxes. Nobody told it to me. As soon as someone brings it to my notice I would pay my taxes. Till then, so long and thanks for all the fish" rofl.gif

Karan Thapar: The Opposition has said in fact, for land ceiling purposes you have claimed that the land at Kundur was non-agricultural. Yet, for income tax purposes you have claimed that the income earned at Kundur is agricultural. How can you have it both ways?

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Well at that point of time, I don’t know whatever has been filed in income tax. rofl.gif

Karan Thapar: You mean once again you are ignorant of what you are filing yourself in the income tax.

YS Rajashekar Reddy: No, its only about this particular land. I own so many lands in so many places. rofl.gif

Karan Thapar: That means you are so rich and you have land in so many places that you don’t know what you are talking about.... rofl.gif

YS Rajashekar Reddy: Yes, ultimately whatever has been filed in the income tax is there.