Why do people still measure success in terms of money, power and knowledge? They’re looking in the wrong place.

Beardman

The real challenge is knowing which values to live your life to.

Generally we inherit our values and beliefs from our parents and our peers. But these inherited beliefs don’t always serve us. This is why we need to be conscious of what really makes us tick and what causes our positive or negative feelings. This is an exercise of understanding our core needs.

This links a lot to finding your purpose, the real understanding of what you’re meant to be doing and why. Which itself is a lifelong journey of discovery and I’m not sure how best to navigate it. However what I am sure of is if you only use the yard sticks of wealth, knowledge and power you’ll have hard time finding your true purpose.

I’m reminded of an old Buddhist story of a man who had lost the keys to his house. A friend found him searching furiously under a street lamp unable to find them. His friend asked where he remembered having them last, to which the man replied, “over in that field”. The friend then asked in surprise, “why aren’t you searching over there?”. To which the man said matter of factly, “the light is better over here”.

I like this story because it illustrates how we can look in the wrong place for things we really need, just because we think it’s easier. We’re too scared to venture out of our comfort zones and explore new places to look for success. Like moths we’re distracted from our true intentions and become seduced by the bright lights of money, status and power.

1 minute ago, Meowalpha said:

No reason to chase success, just pursue what you're passionate about, then success will chase you ani lol bob successful cinema lo cheppadu. 

Maa hero cheptheyney follow avutham 

Just now, Spartan said:

what shud be measure of success then.?

1.YES,money means success.
2.It is prime & mandatory things for success,sparing rarest enlightened person,for all of us humans.
3.Let's share:
4.It is like physical body.Do you ever ask,does healthy body means success ?.If by birth,someone has no limbs,will he means success having this body ?
5.Success falls under different umbrellas,to be attained by order.
6.The first one is your physical body,it's needs(physical,psychological,emotional,sensual,spiritual etc.),it's comforts enough to fasilate "success"of next order.
7.Money is means,necessary to achieve all these needs/comforts,as air is necessary for breath.
8.what happens that we forget optimization of this mean,which results into failure in life,in spite of abundance of money.
8.Money is not something physical thing,but it is illusory mechanism,smartly invented by human intelligence,in order to manage solid-nonilussory physical body.
9.Money means success for all of average humans,those who believe that myself means my psychosomatic body.
10.Those-rarest one,who realise that
"Myself means not this body",for them money means neither success nor failure.

2 hours ago, Beardman said:

The real challenge is knowing which values to live your life to.

Generally we inherit our values and beliefs from our parents and our peers. But these inherited beliefs don’t always serve us. This is why we need to be conscious of what really makes us tick and what causes our positive or negative feelings. This is an exercise of understanding our core needs.

This links a lot to finding your purpose, the real understanding of what you’re meant to be doing and why. Which itself is a lifelong journey of discovery and I’m not sure how best to navigate it. However what I am sure of is if you only use the yard sticks of wealth, knowledge and power you’ll have hard time finding your true purpose.

I’m reminded of an old Buddhist story of a man who had lost the keys to his house. A friend found him searching furiously under a street lamp unable to find them. His friend asked where he remembered having them last, to which the man replied, “over in that field”. The friend then asked in surprise, “why aren’t you searching over there?”. To which the man said matter of factly, “the light is better over here”.

I like this story because it illustrates how we can look in the wrong place for things we really need, just because we think it’s easier. We’re too scared to venture out of our comfort zones and explore new places to look for success. Like moths we’re distracted from our true intentions and become seduced by the bright lights of money, status and power.

Add to that list women will date you if you are successfull.