40+ career growth

dal123

I am working in the same company since 2007. I am 44.  I am working as a  full time developer with latest technologies and always burn my ass. I work more than 60 hours per week. My sal package is around 125k+ in mid west. Every year I will get 3% hike and 100% bonus.

I see they are promoting all 30+ people as managers and architects. My manager and architect are younger than me and less experienced. I have trained them when they are interns. Is this common practice in other companies also ? I am on H1 visa  and newly promoted people also on H1. When I see my PMP feedback they always say I am the best but when it comes to the role they are keeping me aside.

I am not sure if it is age factor and they want promote only youngsters.  Assalu ee age loa nenu emi expect cheyya vachchu. Just work chesukuni intiki velli TV chusthu gadapadamaa ? lekha pothe do I need to fight for the career growth. I am totally confused. Salary entha vachina satisfication vundadhu.  I am always confused how my company is treating me. assalu valuable resource gaa chusthundaa....

ye technologies lo work chesthunnavu bro ? Manager postion ki people management and good communication skills chustharu bro. check chesuko yekkadaina lack avuthunnavo yemaina ??

First assalu neeku management roles ante interest unda? 

Second, nuvvu mee managers ki assalu interest undi and I'm looking for those roles ani clear ga eppudaina cheppava?

eh okati meedha non tech roles risky ye eppatikaina , of couse if your personal preference is non tech roles then it does not matter though

If you are not assertive , then yeah you will not be considered for promotions

If you are really technically inclined then why don't you try for architect positions , they have a parallel career path at least until associate VP positions in most companies 

Also , if a company no longer values you (for promotions , hikes etc) then its best to consider change

naaku nenu gaa eppudu express cheyya ledhu. Pani chesukuntu pothu vundatame. I will work on multiple projects so andaru nannau baagane chusukuntaaru.  Naa talent valle gurthisthaarule anukunnaa when they are always talking positive about me. 

I am really good at communication and people management. Technically also I am very strong. Age factor emayyina chusthunnaremo nani doubt.

1 minute ago, dal123 said:

naaku nenu gaa eppudu express cheyya ledhu. Pani chesukuntu pothu vundatame. I will work on multiple projects so andaru nannau baagane chusukuntaaru.  Naa talent valle gurthisthaarule anukunnaa when they are always talking positive about me. 

I am really good at communication and people management. Technically also I am very strong. Age factor emayyina chusthunnaremo nani doubt.

Legally they can not discriminate someone based on age for promotions  I think , ask them clearly on why you were not considered? 

You should work on your personal goals apart form organization goals . You should voice out your interests and things which motivate you . There is nothing wrong to have one to one and express your manager your concerns about careee growth . Honestly I feel never be in a company for so long there is nothing to learn . Also paisal kuda Jump auitene vastayi . Age factor is myth dude . People will not just continue and be like a non living thing if their career goals are not met . Trying talking and if nothing changes jump for better role and better package . 

22 minutes ago, dal123 said:

I am working in the same company since 2007. I am 44.  I am working as a  full time developer with latest technologies and always burn my ass. I work more than 60 hours per week. My sal package is around 125k+ in mid west. Every year I will get 3% hike and 100% bonus.

I see they are promoting all 30+ people as managers and architects. My manager and architect are younger than me and less experienced. I have trained them when they are interns. Is this common practice in other companies also ? I am on H1 visa  and newly promoted people also on H1. When I see my PMP feedback they always say I am the best but when it comes to the role they are keeping me aside.

I am not sure if it is age factor and they want promote only youngsters.  Assalu ee age loa nenu emi expect cheyya vachchu. Just work chesukuni intiki velli TV chusthu gadapadamaa ? lekha pothe do I need to fight for the career growth. I am totally confused. Salary entha vachina satisfication vundadhu.  I am always confused how my company is treating me. assalu valuable resource gaa chusthundaa....

This tells me something is wrong.  If you are a developer and is working more than 60 hours per week (12 hours a day?), then either you are taking too long for something simple, or you are addicted to coding and not doing other aspects of the job (Communication, making people overly rely on your coding skills,...)  properly.

Manager intent unte, you have to do a few things

1) Should be available all the time but should not be busy at the same time.

2) Should focus on Communication and making a case for yourself either directly or indirectly whenever possible

3)You should always transfer your knowledge to colleagues and make sure the company don't rely extremely on just your coding skills.

4) Talk to influential people/ Decision makers more often. Sometimes, even when it is not needed.

konchem vivaramu gaa cheppu. What did you find.  I never begged them due to my ego. In fact, I wanted to be in technical area. They dod not consider me for Technical Architect position also and that is why I am burning.

Just now, dal123 said:

konchem vivaramu gaa cheppu. What did you find.  I never begged them due to my ego. In fact, I wanted to be in technical area. They dod not consider me for Technical Architect position also and that is why I am burning.

mee ego gurinchi meeke telisindi ante team lo migatha vallaki inka baga telustudi kada. Ego valla upayogam emi untadi?

Why begging man ? You and manager also are employees for same company just different roles . Everyone has goals avi align avvakapote express your concern ante it’s not begging .  You should let them know u r unhappy it’s good for you and also good for them . They might lose a resource too .