40+ career growth

dal123

4 minutes ago, AndhraneedSCS said:

This tells me something is wrong.  If you are a developer and is working more than 60 hours per week (12 hours a day?), then either you are taking too long for something simple, or you are addicted to coding and not doing other aspects of the job (Communication, making people overly rely on your coding skills,...)  properly.

As I told you, at a time, I will work on 4 to 5 projects simultaneously. Coding is 50%, convincing client on requirements, working with client to get more work (Changed orders), supporting customers 24/7 and also I talk to other team members and also mentor them. Only thing is I dont bend and I dont fight  with management. 

27 minutes ago, dal123 said:

I am working in the same company since 2007. I am 44.  I am working as a  full time developer with latest technologies and always burn my ass. I work more than 60 hours per week. My sal package is around 125k+ in mid west. Every year I will get 3% hike and 100% bonus.

I see they are promoting all 30+ people as managers and architects. My manager and architect are younger than me and less experienced. I have trained them when they are interns. Is this common practice in other companies also ? I am on H1 visa  and newly promoted people also on H1. When I see my PMP feedback they always say I am the best but when it comes to the role they are keeping me aside.

I am not sure if it is age factor and they want promote only youngsters.  Assalu ee age loa nenu emi expect cheyya vachchu. Just work chesukuni intiki velli TV chusthu gadapadamaa ? lekha pothe do I need to fight for the career growth. I am totally confused. Salary entha vachina satisfication vundadhu.  I am always confused how my company is treating me. assalu valuable resource gaa chusthundaa....

Adagakunte evaru emi cheyyaru. It is best to work with your manager right after your review cycle for the next review cycle. Nenu kooda naa work recognize chestharu Nenu most senior in team ani adagaledhu. Impactful work chesa oka year and expected promotion but that did not come naakante chinna vallaki promotion icharu. I asked everyone of them and they said they worked with their managers set up goals and got the promotion. A good manager should listen to you and your career goals. People management interest unte meeku he/she should steer you towards that side. I told the same to my manager and got that promotion. Key is to convey what you want and then document your accomplishments, what you did to deserve the promotion e.t.c appatiki raakapothe then company/ org change

3 minutes ago, AndhraneedSCS said:

mee ego gurinchi meeke telisindi ante team lo migatha vallaki inka baga telustudi kada. Ego valla upayogam emi untadi?

Ego is not correct word and may be over confidence. I thought they will recognize their resource talent.  I am always customer and other team members friendly.

30 minutes ago, dal123 said:

It is not lolli. I just want to understand if my situation is normal or not

normal sometimes timing,effort,opportunity anni kalisi ravali. Rakunte jumping is best option... it took 13 years for you to realize is shocking.

33 minutes ago, dal123 said:

bro ma lead/architect gadu tellodu.. oka 38 yrs untai.. 2004 nunchi ikade unnadu..vadi salary ~110k in midwest..almost dead end job vadidi.. i think its normal.. but vadu lekapothe ma team ki technical pedda dikku undadu..inka retire iyedaka ikade untadu.. almost ma company lo andar alane unnaru..

1 hour ago, dal123 said:

konchem vivaramu gaa cheppu. What did you find.  I never begged them due to my ego. In fact, I wanted to be in technical area. They dod not consider me for Technical Architect position also and that is why I am burning.

you will be considered only if you bring BUSINESS and VALUE to the project

May be you spend toooo much time coding. Stop doing that.

2 options here - 

1) ask your manager directly. If he says no, jump.

2) start attending interviews and jump.

1 hour ago, dal123 said:

konchem vivaramu gaa cheppu. What did you find.  I never begged them due to my ego. In fact, I wanted to be in technical area. They dod not consider me for Technical Architect position also and that is why I am burning.

ego is the enemy !! instead of burning yon can do retrospection .. nee side em mistakes unnayi ani.. if you feel company has bias against 40+ follks, time to jump ..

ippudu emanna interviews isthe you will get to know your real situation.. if there is an offer in your hand, they will definitely give a competitive offer 

2 minutes ago, karthikn said:

ego is the enemy !! instead of burning yon can do retrospection .. nee side em mistakes unnayi ani.. if you feel company has bias against 40+ follks, time to jump ..

ippudu emanna interviews isthe you will get to know your real situation.. if there is an offer in your hand, they will definitely give a competitive offer 

+1

2 hours ago, dal123 said:

I am working in the same company since 2007. I am 44.  I am working as a  full time developer with latest technologies and always burn my ass. I work more than 60 hours per week. My sal package is around 125k+ in mid west. Every year I will get 3% hike and 100% bonus.

I see they are promoting all 30+ people as managers and architects. My manager and architect are younger than me and less experienced. I have trained them when they are interns. Is this common practice in other companies also ? I am on H1 visa  and newly promoted people also on H1. When I see my PMP feedback they always say I am the best but when it comes to the role they are keeping me aside.

I am not sure if it is age factor and they want promote only youngsters.  Assalu ee age loa nenu emi expect cheyya vachchu. Just work chesukuni intiki velli TV chusthu gadapadamaa ? lekha pothe do I need to fight for the career growth. I am totally confused. Salary entha vachina satisfication vundadhu.  I am always confused how my company is treating me. assalu valuable resource gaa chusthundaa....

I would highly encourage you to change your company in 2020. There is no better day than today, come out of your comfort zone and explore outer world management styles.. if you don't change your job this year, you will get all kinds of diseases starting with Acid reflux. There are many things wrong in your assumptions, don't try hard to be a valuable resource. You are always expendable ALWAYS. Niku confidence ravali no worth teliyali antey as people suggested go out and do interviews, if you get 3-5 offers than come back to this same thread and share your new perspective.

Ni brain ninnu comfort zone lo lagutindi, fight it, Anni kastanga anpistayi but be ready for new journey and experiences. Inka adey company lo untey you will be in illusion that you are growing personally or professionally.

Atleast, if you don't want to leave the company just for fun check your market value and skill set worth outside by bagging offers, then you will find answer to your question. If you don't do it now, it will get difficult every year. H1B no matram excuse ga pettodu to change jobs.ppl are doing it day in day out.

• Upvote 1

Ego is not correct word and may be over confidence. I thought they will recognize their resource talent.  I am always customer and other team members friendly.

It's not ego nor over confidence. It's your false assumption. Never assume, always ask. Adgandi Amma kuda Annam pettadu atlantidi promotion evar istaru.. 

• Upvote 1

It's your personality. How you represent to management, at meetings.

Lot of hours works at startups to grow.

At Big orgs different ball game. Contacts, interactions with management, happy hours, etc..continues marketing how important you and your work to team and company..Bajan, buttering.

All together contributes to promotion, not just too many hours..

In your situation it's very normal. Many get stuck In the comfort zone Same people , same company Peru untadi bokka boshanam Ani.. na previous company lo mee lagey oka profile undey 16 years nunchi kottinckuntey monney team lead chesaru,GC vochindi ippudaina company maarandi antey age (48) aipoindi baita job evaru istaru ee company lone grow aitanu Ani Inka 2 years stick auyyaru.. Terra chustey WITCH ki re-badge ayyaru.. taadu & barrey rendu gone.. the only saving Grace is he has GC now.  Shawshank redemption lo Morgan Freeman types lo undi situation.

Middle finger supinchi vere company jump kottu..I am also close to 4* tens ..I had similar experience  last year ..just jumped landed in a place where people respect me fornmy work and make more money also since it's new place I feel like I put reset button in my career..