Why-did-Lata-Mangeshkar-never-marry? lifted from quora

Beardman

There are two tracks in popular culture explaining why lata Mangeshkar didn't marry.

1. When Lata was 13 years old (year 1942), her father Shri Dinanath Mangeshkar died of heart ailment. Responsibility to take care of her four younger siblings (Meena, Asha, Usha, and Hridaynath) and her  mother fell on the young shoulders of Lata Mangeshkar. She took her responsibilities seriously and became the sole bread winner for the family by singing and acting in Sangeet Naatak (Musical Plays) and films. Time passed, her siblings grew but she never got free of family's responsibilities to consider marriage.

2.The second reason is not factually verified and references are limited only to film gossip magazines of 50's and 60's. Lata Mangeshkar and Music Director C. Ramchandra (also known as Chitalkar) fell in love with each other. The duo had a fruitful and long working association. It is most famous for the song "Ae mere watan ke logon" (Composed by C Ramachandra, sung by Lata Mangeshkar, penned by kavi Pradeep). C Ramchandra also sang many songs with Lata mangeshkar, notably "Shola jo bhadke, dil mera dhadke" from film Albela. Due to some differences and circumstances (mainly their age difference of 11.5 years, C Ramachandra was born in Jan 1918 whereas Lata Mangeshkar was born in Sept 1929), they couldn't marry. After this incident, Lata mangeshkar remained unmarried for life.

It is impossible to answer the exact reason. She quoted many times that she wanted to marry Mr. K.L. Saigal, and that was not possible, so she didn't marry.
Once she quoted "As far as I can remember, I always wanted to meet K.L.Saigal. As a child, I used to say that 'I will get married to him after I grow up' and that's when my father explained to me that when I'll be big enough to get married, Saigal saab will be too old enough to get married."

I read somewhere that BCCI Ex-President and former Royal, Raj Singh Dungarpur and Lata Mangeshkar were in love and planned to get married too and because of royal lineage of Raj Singh, apparently this wedding never took place and both stayed single all through their lives...