Use of "the" before the names, starting with any vowel is correct ?

kittaya

Use "The" when you are talking about something specific. 

For example: "A" country doctor vs "The" country doctor.   First one is not specific, we are taking about a country doctor among many. But, when you say "The" country doctor, then you are talking about a specific doctor that you and the listener know each other.

We call it "The United States" since we are talking about specific united states. Any country is conglomeration of a states, regions etc. India is country with all its states united as a country. But, here for the US, we are taking about specific united states, hence, THE.

It is similar to "Said" and "Told".  Told is used when it is specific to whom he was telling. Ex: He said that sunny is a good boy (It is more of a generic statement). He told me that sunny is good boy (It is a statement made to me).

"An" goes before a vowel. "A" goes before a consonant. Ex: An Eagle vs A cat

2 minutes ago, proudtobeandhrite said:

Use "The" when you are talking about something specific

For example: "A" country doctor vs "The" country doctor.   First one is not specific, we are taking about a country doctor among many. But, when you say "The" country doctor, then you are talking about a specific doctor that you and the listener know each other.

We call it "The United States" since we are talking about specific united states. Any country is conglomeration of a states, regions etc. India is country with all its states united as a country. But, here for the US, we are taking about specific united states, hence, THE.

It is similar to "Said" and "Told".  Told is used when it is specific to whom he was telling. Ex: He said that sunny is a good boy (It is more of a generic statement). He told me that sunny is good boy (It is a statement made to me).

I don't understand. 

9 minutes ago, Cathedral said:

I don't understand. 

Neekosam kinda vunnadi quora lonunchi kottukuvacha. Hope it is easy to understand

"The "name" of the United States is not actually a name.  It is, instead, a description. It describes who we are: we are the "United" "States" of "America": a country comprised of states, all located in America, that have voluntarily united. Because it's a descriptive phrase, not a name, grammatically it needs an article. This is also why we say the United Kingdom: again, the name describes the country (in full, it is the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland")."

1 hour ago, proudtobeandhrite said:

Neekosam kinda vunnadi quora lonunchi kottukuvacha. Hope it is easy to understand

"The "name" of the United States is not actually a name.  It is, instead, a description. It describes who we are: we are the "United" "States" of "America": a country comprised of states, all located in America, that have voluntarily united. Because it's a descriptive phrase, not a name, grammatically it needs an article. This is also why we say the United Kingdom: again, the name describes the country (in full, it is the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland")."

It's because its not a proper noun ya, it's a collective noun. You can say a flock of birds or the flock of birds. Similarly, the United States. 

What's more interesting about the United States is or the United States are....my English teacher taught us that before the war it used to be the United States are...but now it is the United States is...I guess that's what the war did. 

If its considered a noun.. then use THe is correct. 

Atlantic although is sea but its huge can be used in sentence as noun ( since its a huge thing, name etc)

also sometimes THE is used to explain the prowess/magnanimity of particular thing in forms of expression..

like its THE FORD-150 (does it all, can do all )

THE AFDB (cannot escape the long jaws of discussions, gossip and drama)

2 hours ago, proudtobeandhrite said:

Use "The" when you are talking about something specific. 

source.gif