Amaravati still a village, will take decades to compete with Hyderabad: Jaganmohan Reddy

Pawala_mallepuvvu

Amaravati still a village, will take decades to compete with Hyderabad: Jaganmohan Reddy

Gopi Dara | TNN | Feb 11, 2020, 07:27 IST

74073215.jpg?resizemode=4&width=400TNN

Jaganmohan Reddy

Andhra Pradesh

chief minister 

YS Jaganmohan Reddy

, in his first media interaction since coming to power in May last year, tells Gopi Dara that he has limited time to deliver. In this exlusive interview, he speaks about why abolishing the legislative council and decentralising the capital was necessary: 

Excerpts

You have brought in a number of welfare schemes. But how do you plan to bring in investments?

Welfare schemes are my commitment to people. Every scheme is the result of my interaction with them, be it Rythu Bharosa or Amma Vodi or any other scheme. This government is committed to ensure industrial growth in the state. We are giving corruption-free governance, we are offering land, water and electricity to investors. Applications are being cleared fast, the investors do not have to run around offices for permissions. We are inviting some, some are coming in on their own. The previous government had promised Rs 4,000 crore worth incentives and we have to honour it. Before setting up new industries, we should retain the existing ones. We can’t offer more incentives merely for the sake of inviting new industries.

The state’s finances are not in good shape. How do you plan to raise revenue?

It is true that the state’s fiscal position is poor. My predecessor had not only emptied the exchequer but also left a huge burden on me. He (

Chandrababu Naidu

) went for maximum borrowing at high rates of interest. But we have still been able to manage welfare schemes and development with limited sources. If we can balance it in the first year, we can do it in the remaining four years.

Some of your decisions are under judicial review...

Nothing can stop us from doing what we are planning. I have invited judicial review on some of my decisions like tenders. My government has no hidden agenda.

Your father revived the legislative council. Why did you decide to abolish it?

The council was created by the legislative assembly to be a guiding force. When that spirit is defeated, and rules are flouted for political benefit, why should the assembly accept the council? Moreover, I could have got majority in the council next year. But I don’t have time.

But the reason and timing decision is being criticised...

No, it was the right time and right reason. The council can delay a decision by maximum three to four months. They can’t stop the assembly’s work (Bills) for more than that stipulated period. But three to four months is too long a time for me. I can’t waste precious time for political interests that the council members have. Take for example, the English medium issue. It can’t wait as the academic year starts in June and we have to prepare teachers and schools by then.

Visakhapatnam

is 

cycloneprone

. Is it safe to have the capital there?

Of the 13 districts in the state, nine are along the coast and cyclone threat is everywhere. Diviseema in Krishna district was badly hit in 1977. Why only Visakhapatnam? Machilipatnam, 

Nizampatnam

are equally prone to cyclones. Chennai is along the coast... and there is no problem. Moreover, we are not going to disturb the existing city. We would be adding to this city a little away from the sea shore.

What is the reason behind selecting Visakhapatnam as executive capital?

Visakhapatnam is an existing city and it will be ready for competition with any of these three capitals in less than 10 years. I don’t want the youth of AP to look at other cities for opportunities. We don’t have to wait for 50 years for 

Amaravati

to become a city and then compete with other capitals. Visakhapatnam would start challenging Chennai in no time, with less investment.

Police have found a major scam in Amaravati land pooling scheme. Who is behind this?

The previous government committed several such mistakes. The CID had conducted an initial investigation and handed over the details to the enforcement directorate (ED). We are also thinking of constituting a special investigating team (SIT)...

What are you going to do with Amaravati and its 33,000 acres land taken from farmers?

Amaravati will continue to be the legislative capital. The CM, ministers, MLAs and officials will be here for 60 to 70 days a year. The assembly will remain here. We are promising proper utilisation of land collected from farmers.

Is 

special category status

demand still in your agenda?

There is no going back on it. Special category status was promised on the floor of the Parliament. But, they (BJP) should have the same commitment to fulfil it. BJP leaders may say SCS is a closed chapter, but it is very much alive for us and for the people of AP.

What about Polavaram?

It took us some time to correct the mistakes of the previous government. They constructed the cofferdam without completing the spill channel, which caused inundation of the project site and the new contractor could not take up the works.I’m 

kotha ga emaina cheppamanadi. ee article lo konni aanimutyalu 

3 hours ago, Pawala_mallepuvvu said:

They constructed the cofferdam without completing the spill channel, which caused inundation of the project site and the new contractor could not take up the works.

Special category status was promised on the floor of the Parliament. But, they (BJP) should have the same commitment to fulfil it. BJP leaders may say SCS is a closed chapter, but it is very much alive for us and for the people of AP.

We are promising proper utilisation of land collected from farmers.

Moreover, we are not going to disturb the existing city. We would be adding to this city a little away from the sea shore.

Nothing can stop us from doing what we are planning. I have invited judicial review on some of my decisions like tenders. My government has no hidden agenda.

decentralising the capital was necessary

Visakhapatnam is an existing city and it will be ready for competition with any of these three capitals in less than 10 years. I don’t want the youth of AP to look at other cities for opportunities.

ilanti intellectual answers anna tarvathe. Decentralize ane name tho.. sammaga 

2 minutes ago, TokyoJaani said:

kotha ga emaina cheppamanadi. ee article lo konni aanimutyalu 

ilanti intellectual answers anna tarvathe. Decentralize ane name tho.. sammaga 

DB lo educated already confirmed bro great intellectual Ani anthey ga @Chinna84