Bay Area survey: Rich, poor, young and old unhappy here

desiboys

wtf, I'm listening to this podcast that started with an interview of Nick Land.

and then the author brings up accelerationism in every fcuking episode with his guests. lol.

he even tried to do it with a anarchist primitivist, and was promptly shut down by him calling Nick Land a jerk.

but Mark Fisher has a lovely explanation of why Nick Land is wrong and why accelerationism is not a valid philosophy itself.

16 minutes ago, Agnes said:

I'm going to assume you are an Ayn Rand fan. very hard not to, for someone who follows Thiel around.

you should listen to Nick Land, the contemporary accelrationist philosopher. who keeps making predictions that are proven wrong evey single time.

his twitter id is Outsideness.

No, I’m not. I read fountain head and it took me a couple of days to recover 😂

sure, will check it out 👍

20 minutes ago, Agnes said:

all Ayn Rand objectivists (like Peter Thiel) are now working for the govt to destroy it.

its a funny thing.

almost every Ayn Rand fan I know supports Trump. Now pilli will come and say he's not Trump supporter. 

pilli, you are the exception.

I don't dislike Trump. 

2 hours ago, kothavani said:

Look at the startups that are successful in recent 6 months, startups hire with funding from VCs , tons of VCs and china money is showered on these startups , some companies are not caring to give 100k joining bonus to hire talent , this might be just bubble.to blast no body knows , the point is startup eco system or growing startups are still in baybarea

Start up eco system is centered in the bay area which makes it the tech capital of the world

No other city or state in the world could match even 5% of the innovation from here

when a place with such huge eco system exists naturally the real estate space will become a  commodity with high demand and with bay area’s topography makes it even worse

Bay area is just for the best and the brightest, not for mediocres

19 minutes ago, redsox said:

No, I’m not. I read fountain head and it took me a couple of days to recover 😂

sure, will check it out 👍

If you couldn't get over Ayn Rand, then don't try Nick Land. This guy is a serious philosopher with some extremely radical ideas.

not like Ayn Rand who's a 3rd rate fiction writer with delusions of being a philosopher.

pilli will check his twitter out, and can handle it. not us mortals.

57 minutes ago, Agnes said:

If you couldn't get over Ayn Rand, then don't try Nick Land. This guy is a serious philosopher with some extremely radical ideas.

not like Ayn Rand who's a 3rd rate fiction writer with delusions of being a philosopher.

pilli will check his twitter out, and can handle it. not us mortals.

Now I’m curious, will check it out 😄

10 hours ago, JambaKrantu said:

Nothing is permanent..Detroit at one point used to build 9 out of 10 cars made in America..

German and Japanese car industries killed Detroit.. Now Tesla is killing them.. 

anthe kada appatlo 1 rs ki 5 panipuris votchevi ippudu 5 rs ki 1.. idi anthe .. marpu sahajam..

10 hours ago, desiboys said:

Bay Area residents — despite being swept up in an unprecedented economic boom — are growing ever unhappier with the place they call home.

Nearly 3 in 4 residents think the quality of life in the Bay Area has gotten worse in the last five years, according to a new poll of registered voters conducted for the Bay Area News Group and the Silicon Valley Leadership Group. That marks an astonishing 10-point jump in dissatisfaction from last year.

In another dramatic shift from last year, more residents are thinking about moving, 47 percent, than staying, 45 percent. Nearly 10 percent say they have definite plans to leave this year.

The survey unearths a remarkable paradox — high wages, an expanding economy, record growth in home values, coupled with natural wonders have failed to alleviate the crushing toll of longer commutes, spreading homeless encampments, and budget-breaking prices for houses, apartments, child care.

Dave Metz of FM3 Research, which conducted the poll, said the high levels of dissatisfaction are almost unprecedented given the region’s strong economy. Last year, 44 percent of residents said they expected to leave in a few years, while half expected to stay. The new survey follows a trend of growing unrest found in 2016 and 2017 polls by the Bay Area Council, where residents saying they planned to move grew from about 33 to 40 percent.

“Nobody is really happy with the way things are going,” Metz said.

The survey of 1,257 registered voters in five core Bay Area counties reflects deep misgivings across the social strata — wealthy, established homeowners, middle-class workers, poor people and younger residents in apartments all sense a decline in their quality of life:

Residents say they’ve grown frustrated with the inability of state and local leaders to fix long-standing and obvious problems — homeless and RV camps popping up along city streets, rising housing costs sinking the working poor and middle class, and traffic and transit solutions running the bureaucratic gauntlet for years until comatose or dead.

The poll reflects a growing concern about homelessness. This year, nearly 9 in 10 residents called it an extremely or very serious problem, up from 8 in 10 last year. “That is about as bright a flashing red light as you can see,” said Metz.

“It’s the cumulative weight, like rock after rock placed on your chest, that’s come to a breaking point for many of our neighbors, friends and family members,” said Silicon Valley Leadership Group CEO Carl Guardino. “These challenges won’t be solved overnight.”

Guardino is concerned that nearly 10 percent of residents say they have concrete plans to move. They’ve decided other cities are better places to live and work than the Bay Area.

“The choice we have is, are we going to fight or flight?” said Guardino. “I still think our area is worth fighting for.”

Richard Hallsted, 62, recently retired as an operations manager for a manufacturing company in the East Bay. He and his wife have lived in Palo Alto for more than 40 years and raised their two daughters in the city.

During a recent family walk through their neighborhood, he saw four homeless people pushing shopping carts along the streets. It was a new sight in their community.

“What do you do?” Hallsted asked and sighed. “I don’t know. If you built a bunch of condos on El Camino (Real), they couldn’t afford them.”

Deeniki parokshanga CBN ee karanam antunna uth..

• Haha 1