He spent 19 years building a restaurant empire. Then the virus came.

tacobell fan

No one should have to lay off 300 employees because of an economic downturn, says restaurateur and Top Chef star Tom Colicchio. He argues it's time to rethink unchecked capitalism.

EUI-GcoXkAMzSXz?format=png&name=900x900

• Upvote 1

Colicchio says the speed of this cross-industry collapse should be a warning, and an opportunity for America to examine its priorities. "[This crisis] exposes the limits of our system and what happens when capitalism is unchecked," he says.

We have a policy where staff members get gift certificates to eat in any of our restaurants in exchange for offering feedback. That Sunday night, I showed up for our last service before closing, and a bartender who has been with me since the beginning — 19 years — was sitting there with his wife and his young daughter. I got choked up. I realized I couldn’t fall to pieces in front of his little girl, but it’s really emotional. Especially at Craft, we’ve all known each other for a long time. Telling your employees you’re closing is the hardest thing in the world.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2020 at 11:09 PM, tacobell fan said:

No one should have to lay off 300 employees because of an economic downturn, says restaurateur and Top Chef star Tom Colicchio. He argues it's time to rethink unchecked capitalism.

EUI-GcoXkAMzSXz?format=png&name=900x900

"unchecked capitalism" superb statement