How many here interested in Philosophy?

zarathustra

1 hour ago, Ellen said:

I've seen a lot of people comment about stoicism. Why are so many drawn to it? I find it hard to practice...I like to discuss about being stoic and all though. 

Agree it is very tough to put into practice.

42 minutes ago, Scurvy said:

Some philosophers by being stoic and practicing solitude one can discover about themselves and tap into their true potential. Some people might have rough childhood, early trauma , bullied or may be from dysfunctional family. So they have discovered their true self and potential only after becoming stoic by enduring their pain. Ex- David Goggins touted to be the toughest man alive. He was bullied ,  beaten by his drunken and abusive father. Only in his adulthood he was able to shun down the mental illness after becoming Stoic. Thus he was able to channelize all the negativity , pain and suffering to reduce from 300 lbs to 190 lbs in just 3 months and able to complete navy seal, one of the toughest military commander in USA. Another example could be Issac new town arguably one of the greatest humans  to walk on this planet. Even Issac Newton could be attributed to stoic and solitary.
Personally , I feel any philosophy to extreme is not good to us to follow and stoic can be used to overcome external noise and destructive emotions. 

Nice. Yea...stoicism is extremely helpful when people are fighting with negative emotions...it also helps them to build the strength to embrace pain as well, without complaining. You are right...like someone mentioned above, we need to draw conclusions from various schools of thought and adapt what's convenient to us. Thanks for the write up

15 minutes ago, Scurvy said:

Agree it is very tough to put into practice.

Ya that's what I felt when I first read about it. I have the same thoughts about Buddhist nihilism too. It gives a great kick to read about it ....it has very ideal way of looking at things ..at a point it makes more sense than anything . I am not talking about the "non-existentialist" nihilism, but the feeling of nothing...sort of like metaphysical emptiness ..something which we attain when we attain moksha. But when it comes to life...it takes a lot of energy to be one.

I find empiricism easy and convinient. Again, there are some concepts which we can't always attribute to empirical evidences or experiences,we may have to rely on logic or God. For example death or afterlife or the essence of being(may be I'm wrong with respect to this). Ultimately it is foolish to fit the concept as large as life or universe into something as small as experience or logic . 

S0rry lol now I'm just randomly scribbling. Ignore if I don't make sense anymore. 

1 hour ago, Scurvy said:

Thadaasthu. Akkada experiences post chestu vundu.

what experiences 

Russian Indian

latina

chinese 

ee  experience kavali 

BRAR restaurant experience 

BABU from  Scarborough kavala 

39 minutes ago, kevinUsa said:

what experiences 

Russian Indian

latina

chinese 

ee  experience kavali 

BRAR restaurant experience 

BABU from  Scarborough kavala 

vuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

let me show off, below people's work I have read through

Western:

The moral law by Immanuel Kant

Republic by plato

Socratese final speech defending his stance

Siddartha by Herman Hesse 

Bukowski speeches

Indian:

U G Krishnamurti speeches

History of Indian philosophy by Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan

Viswadarsanam by Nanduri Rammohan Rao

Planning to do a graduate programme , please suggest a good correspondence in Bangalore, with weekend classes

• Upvote 1

Just now, kingcasanova said:

let me show off, below people's work I have read through

Western:

The moral law by Immanuel Kant

Republic by plato

Socratese final speech defending his stance

Siddartha by Herman Hesse 

Bukowski speeches

Indian:

U G Krishnamurti speeches

History of Indian philosophy by Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan

Viswadarsanam by Nanduri Rammohan Rao

Planning to do a graduate programme , please suggest a good correspondence in Bangalore, with weekend classes

U g krishnamurthi is the best ! Andaru jiddu krishnamurthi antaru kaani this guy is epique 

1 minute ago, ring_master said:

U g krishnamurthi is the best ! Andaru jiddu krishnamurthi antaru kaani this guy is epique 

U French?

2 minutes ago, ring_master said:

U g krishnamurthi best kani evaru oppukoru athanni, because he was against the basis of thought.

3 minutes ago, ring_master said:

Jiddu KM books chaduvudam ani download chesa never had a chance 

3 minutes ago, ring_master said:

The awakening of intelligence chadivintharuvaatha philosophy ni lite theesukuntav vaa