220 Bihar workers make reverse journey to Telangana

hyperbole

AT A time when migrant workers are heading back to their home states — on foot, in buses or trains — 222 workers, mostly from Khagaria district of Bihar, opted for the reverse journey as they boarded a special train to Telangana on Thursday.

The train, which left Khagaria in the early hours of Thursday, arrived at the Lingampalli Railway Station in Hyderabad at 1 pm on Friday.

Telangana Civil Supplies Minister G Kamalakar and members of the Telangana Rice Millers Association welcomed the workers with roses, food and water packets

Arrangements were made for the workers to reach the Khagaria railway station. According to officials, each group of 18-20 workers had a supervisor, whose job was to ensure that the workers reached the railway station. While most of the workers are from Khagaria, a few are from Madhepura district of Bihar.

After the workers arrived in Hyderabad, officials of the civil supplies department registered their names and contact numbers, and then sent them in buses to other districts.

“Chief Minister K Chandrashekar Rao has assured the workers that they will be well taken care of. We arranged for their journey and provided food and water. We have arranged buses to take them to the rice mills where they work. We will also give them dry rations to start with,” said Kamalakar.

The train fare was paid by the Telangana government. Last week, the train had ferried a batch of migrant workers from Hyderabad to Patna.

Officials in Telangana said the state is facing a shortage of farm labour, as most of the workers who went home for Holi could not return due to the lockdown. While paddy and maize are ready for harvest, the rice mills too don’t have enough workers.

“Without these migrant workers, it will be difficult to operate the rice mills. We are grateful that even in this difficult situation, they chose to come to work. We expect more workers to return in the coming days,” said G Narender, president of the Telangana Rice Mill Owners Association.

Rajesh Singh, 32, who was among those who made the journey from Khagaria to Hyderabad, said he had just Rs 200 in his pocket and a change of clothes.

“I went home in February for Holi and was supposed to return in April-end, but got stuck there. There is no work or money at home. It is a desperate situation. I was in touch with the labour supervisor and the rice-mill owner,” he said.

“I heard that the Telangana government was arranging a train to take back workers, so I registered myself. I am relieved to start work again. I can send some money home by this month-end,” said Rajesh.

Sagar Chaudhary, 32, also from Khagaria, said he had spent all the money that he had taken home during the Holi break. “Without any income, we will starve. Due to the lockdown, there is no work at all… I hope to send some money home soon,” he said.

Anil Biswas, who works at a rice mill in Kagaznagar in Komaram Bheem district, said it was a relief to start working again. “My family of nine, including my wife, children, parents and sisters, depend on me. I called up the labour contractors and the rice mill owner several times. Then I got to know that this train was being arranged, and I grabbed the opportunity. I came with just Rs 200 in my pocket, but I hope to send some money home next week, after taking an advance salary from the rice mill owner,” he said.

Dinesh Saha, a labour contractor, said hundreds of other workers are willing to come, if trains are made available.

The 2,440 rice mills in Telangana employ an estimated 20,000 migrant workers every year. About 90 per cent are from Bihar, mostly from Khagaria district, while West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh account for the rest.

1 hour ago, hyperbole said:

AT A time when migrant workers are heading back to their home states — on foot, in buses or trains — 222 workers, mostly from Khagaria district of Bihar, opted for the reverse journey as they boarded a special train to Telangana on Thursday.

The train, which left Khagaria in the early hours of Thursday, arrived at the Lingampalli Railway Station in Hyderabad at 1 pm on Friday.

Telangana Civil Supplies Minister G Kamalakar and members of the Telangana Rice Millers Association welcomed the workers with roses, food and water packets

Arrangements were made for the workers to reach the Khagaria railway station. According to officials, each group of 18-20 workers had a supervisor, whose job was to ensure that the workers reached the railway station. While most of the workers are from Khagaria, a few are from Madhepura district of Bihar.

After the workers arrived in Hyderabad, officials of the civil supplies department registered their names and contact numbers, and then sent them in buses to other districts.

“Chief Minister K Chandrashekar Rao has assured the workers that they will be well taken care of. We arranged for their journey and provided food and water. We have arranged buses to take them to the rice mills where they work. We will also give them dry rations to start with,” said Kamalakar.

The train fare was paid by the Telangana government. Last week, the train had ferried a batch of migrant workers from Hyderabad to Patna.

Officials in Telangana said the state is facing a shortage of farm labour, as most of the workers who went home for Holi could not return due to the lockdown. While paddy and maize are ready for harvest, the rice mills too don’t have enough workers.

“Without these migrant workers, it will be difficult to operate the rice mills. We are grateful that even in this difficult situation, they chose to come to work. We expect more workers to return in the coming days,” said G Narender, president of the Telangana Rice Mill Owners Association.

Rajesh Singh, 32, who was among those who made the journey from Khagaria to Hyderabad, said he had just Rs 200 in his pocket and a change of clothes.

“I went home in February for Holi and was supposed to return in April-end, but got stuck there. There is no work or money at home. It is a desperate situation. I was in touch with the labour supervisor and the rice-mill owner,” he said.

“I heard that the Telangana government was arranging a train to take back workers, so I registered myself. I am relieved to start work again. I can send some money home by this month-end,” said Rajesh.

Sagar Chaudhary, 32, also from Khagaria, said he had spent all the money that he had taken home during the Holi break. “Without any income, we will starve. Due to the lockdown, there is no work at all… I hope to send some money home soon,” he said.

Anil Biswas, who works at a rice mill in Kagaznagar in Komaram Bheem district, said it was a relief to start working again. “My family of nine, including my wife, children, parents and sisters, depend on me. I called up the labour contractors and the rice mill owner several times. Then I got to know that this train was being arranged, and I grabbed the opportunity. I came with just Rs 200 in my pocket, but I hope to send some money home next week, after taking an advance salary from the rice mill owner,” he said.

Dinesh Saha, a labour contractor, said hundreds of other workers are willing to come, if trains are made available.

The 2,440 rice mills in Telangana employ an estimated 20,000 migrant workers every year. About 90 per cent are from Bihar, mostly from Khagaria district, while West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh account for the rest.

What's the reason TS industries Labor and agriculture labor are not available within TS and have to depend on bihar labor?

8 minutes ago, RaaoSaab said:

What's the reason TS industries Labor and agriculture labor are not available within TS and have to depend on bihar labor?

this is the case every where now..not sure why..mana vallu hard labour chesta leru..education is one reason, most young people are working in jobs like  drivers, MNGERA scheme, working at stores, marketing jobs, welfare schemes. 90% dairy farms, poultry, rice mills , construction anta migrant labour ee

even punjab CM called bihar CM to send labour 

9 minutes ago, RaaoSaab said:

TS kaadu same situation in Andhra as well...maa maama kaada 20 migrant workers unnaru Assam nunchi...endayya ante ikkada ade 20 workers ni maintain cheyalante chala kastam they cant do labor work or they quit but vellu ala kaadu ani annaru

2 hours ago, hyperbole said:

this is the case every where now..not sure why..mana vallu hard labour chesta leru..education is one reason, most young people are working in jobs like  drivers, MNGERA scheme, working at stores, marketing jobs, welfare schemes. 90% dairy farms, poultry, rice mills , construction anta migrant labour ee

2 hours ago, tom brady said:

TS kaadu same situation in Andhra as well...maa maama kaada 20 migrant workers unnaru Assam nunchi...endayya ante ikkada ade 20 workers ni maintain cheyalante chala kastam they cant do labor work or they quit but vellu ala kaadu ani annaru

Agriculture ki mamulga dorike ladies kuda dorkatledu...endukante manavi rich states and people taking freebies and turning to work only when the work is lighter and asking high cost...bihar UP lo govt doesn't Have rmoney To give freebies like southern states...ysr started freebies and everyone following... freebies taghiste janalu vallu vanchutar... construction and industries labor ante ok...but migrant labor for agriculture ante kastam

Kurchobetti freebies isthe ilane vuntundi...

Govt should provide work/employment opportunities ...tax payers money veellla abba sommu laa panchipettatam enti???

4 hours ago, hyperbole said:

Timing is the reason why rice millers get labor from other states. Rice mills are located near and around major rice markets like Miryalguda. During the harvest time, local labor will be busy with Harvest seasons working in fields for harvest. There will be severe shortage of labor locally and that’s why they depend on labor from other states. Usually such labor comes on 10 months contract And rice millers use domestic labor for two months. 

Second reason to employ such labor is that these are non local people, stay close to the mill and work on piece basis, usually one rupee per bag vuntunde, don’t know how much it is now..oka 3-4 rupees ayivuntadi..! And female labor work for lesser important jobs like sorting the funny bags, stitching, loading husk...

MNREGA and other things also a factor but smaller ones..